Brake Lever travel

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Having had my brakes replaced (inc new fluid) I am able to pull the lever to almost touch the bar fairly easily (there's resistance but not a huge amount).

I've had the brake lever zip tied to bleed the master cylinder system as much as possible. Before I get the calipers re-bled...I just want to check, is that normal? Feels like it should have more resistance.

No it's not, sounds like there is still air in the system mate. My lever travels about a 1 inch (at end) before its rock solid

Last edited:
From the garage.

"We have not ‘bled’ the brakes as you describe merely flushed through fresh fluid so there is no chance if introducing air into the system. I suspect the problem may lie with excessive float in the disc fittings (different from OEM discs) as we pointed out a poor feel at the lever when you collected the bike.
We are happy to check the bleeding of the front brake, how about Mon?"

How does "excessive float" on OE Replacement discs = a long spongy lever?

How does "excessive float" on OE Replacement discs = a long spongy lever?

BS basically!
It's theoretically possible,in use,under certain circumstances(though the main purpose of floating discs is to maintain disc/pad contact at all times-which is why racers use them)but certainly not standing still!

My discs float so much they rattle,with no excess lever movement.

Yeah I don't get it as a reason. Pad either presses on disc from force applied by the fluid in the caliper...or it doesn't. It's a hard stop with solid object in the middle...fluids don't compress so it has to be a gas.

Might see if Park Lane are free for a quick brake check.

I've noticed my lever travels further back than it used to and has a spongy feel to it and I havnt even done anything to them, the first thing I noticed on the 2015 bike was how good and sharp the braked were compared to my 2012 but they dont feel that good now :-/ strange one that

The biggest difference you can make to your brakes / brake lever feel is to fit a Brembo RCS 19 master cylinder. Lever will be solid and you will have more feel. Overkill for road though, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back