BMW Warranty

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRChris

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have a 2013 HP4 which i bought last august from Bahnstormers in Alton, it came with a 2 year warranty however do i need to have the bike serviced at a main BM dealers to keep the warranty valid ? I only ask as i know EU legislation states that with car warranty's there is no requirement to have the vehicle serviced at main dealers.

Many thanks Chris

Hi mate..if I wasnt getting mine done at a dealers I would go to an approved BMW agent like Grahams Motorcycles who are a sponsor on here. They are in Yorkshire though and your in Southampton according to your intro. I took out the extended warranty in September there, you should consider it.

Sent from Galaxy S7

Last edited:
Just for clarity Grahams Motorcycles are an independent BMW workshop.

RRChris - I believe any garage that is VAT registered can work on your bike without it affecting warranty. However, if there is a case whereby a warranty claim is discretionary, using a BMW dealership might be advantageous, that has been my experience.

Using a main dealer will enable them to maintain your FBMWSH and also they will check for any software updates and/or recalls during the visit which I don't think you will get from an independent.

Hi Chris, as long as the servicing garage is VAT registered the warranty is still maintained, the difference in price to what you will save might not be best value come resale time.
Ask yourself this question..........

You are about to buy a 4 year old BMW superbike, you narrow it down to two, one has full service history, two stamps from BMW and two from A.N.Others Bikes. Second bike has 4 stamps all from BMW but is ?200 more, in all other respects the bikes are identical, which would you buy?

Everyone is different but I would rather let BMW look after my bike as any warranty issues will never be blamed on anyone else.

Just my two pence worth, I know other garages do excellent work and I have a different approach to my GSA which I service myself, mostly because if I break down in a far flung country I want to know I can strip it down with confidence because I've done it before at home. I also let the warranty lapse as I know will never sell it.

JimmyMac

Hi,

Thanks for your replies and ive taken that onboard think i will just use BMW then their can be no quibbles come warranty. I deffinitely want them to give it a good check over as it might just be me imagining it but i think mine has developed a ticking noise at idle when hot.

Chris

I always go to Bahnnstormer in Maidenhead now (used to go to Alton but had some issues down there and refuse to go any more) - I'd recommend Maidenhead (and if you are in Reading, you are a lot closer to them than Alton :)).......

I always go to Bahnnstormer in Maidenhead now (used to go to Alton but had some issues down there and refuse to go any more) - I'd recommend Maidenhead (and if you are in Reading, you are a lot closer to them than Alton :)).......

Same here total knobheads at Alton

It's funny - I had the opposite experience. Bloke (won't mention his name here) in Maidenhead stopped halfway through a sentence to reply to a text message and then wandered off in a conversation to go and have a joke with a couple of guys by the workshop. Couldn't have been less interested. Alton people seemed friendly and helpful, tho did give a sense of being very busy so not especially relaxed.

What is it with bmw dealers? I've used 3 and only found 1 and good but it's the other side of country.

I own my own vat registered garage but just had mine done at dealers in the hope of keeping resale value up

I'm swapping dealers for my next service after my usual BMW dealer messed up the last services on my Sthou and GSA. They're friendly enough but the service manager is a bit 'slack' and they've got young lads servicing the bikes who made some basic mistakes and in the last instance kept me waiting an hour before telling me my GSA needed a part replacing under warranty, I took a demo bike overnight while it was fixed but I'm sick of the hassle from them. Modern bikes are relatively complex and expensive and I get the impression that in the case of a number of BMW dealers staff training for both service and sales hasn't kept up. My local Honda and Kawasaki dealers are happy to carry out a basic service on my BMW's but say they don't have the knowledge to carry out anything more extensive so I'm hoping the 'new' dealer works out ok when I take the Sthou to them in a couple of weeks time.

Bahnstormers Alton have been really helpful so far in my experience.. No complaint there

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back