BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MYLAPS X2 Race Transponder

In preparation for next season my new MYLAPS race transponder has arrived...

MYLAPS X2 Race Transponder

IMG_2235_zpsijukl0to.jpg

Can you provide details of what track fairings you have used Ryan?

If you did any alternations to the bike to ensure correct fitment or the fairings i.e. did you have to move any electronics such as the alternator (as would of been required on Daytona 675 when changing from road to race fairings)

Also how does your exhaust manage with UK tracks?
This is after hearing stock gen 3 fails fly by (at 98dB track days)

Do you have any issues with the stationary rpm test or rpm on 102dB days?

alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Race Fairings

Can you provide details of what track fairings you have used Ryan? If you did any alternations to the bike to ensure correct fitment or the fairings i.e. did you have to move any electronics such as the alternator (as would of been required on Daytona 675 when changing from road to race fairings)

My race fairings are made by alpha Racing and are sold as a complete set which include upper fairing, side fairings and sealed race bellypan and are available in either carbon fibre or fibreglass. I also purchased an alpha Racing short tail section so I could retain my HP race seat. All the fairings are pre-fitted with quick release Dzus fasteners as standard and have carbon/kevlar reinforcement at all the mounting points. I also ordered an alpha Racing (MRA) screen, fairing mounting kit and an electrical plug set to avoid any error codes being displayed on the dash.

I looked at numerous race fairing kits but opted for a set of WSBK specification carbon fibre fairings. With ACU race discount, free delivery and a favourable exchange rate at the time of ordering they were actually quite reasonably priced. That, and whilst I've used other fairing manufacturers before, the quality of the alpha Racing parts that I've fitted to my BMW made these seem like the obvious choice.

When fitting them you need to remove all the OEM fairings, lights and essentially strip the bike down to the frame and subframe. You also need to replace all of the OEM mounting points with alpha Racing brackets prior to fitting the race fairings so you can use the Dzus fasteners. It makes switching between road and race fairings particularly time consuming. For me this isn't an issue as I have no absolutely no intention of using the bike again on the road as it's just far better suited for track use.

BMW HP Race Power Kit

Also how does your exhaust manage with UK tracks?
This is after hearing stock gen 3 fails fly by (at 98dB track days). Do you have any issues with the stationary rpm test or rpm on 102dB days?

Static noise testing is not the issue at UK tracks but drive-by testing is. The OEM exhaust system is loud and is known to fail drive-by testing at both 98 dB and 102 dB limit trackdays. Akrapovič full race systems are traditionally quite quiet and the HP Race Power Kit is no exception. Static noise testing results range between 99-101 dB and I've never been black-flagged with the system fitted. I also have an Akrapovič baffle if needed which further reduces noise output.

2D Front Fork Travel Sensor

The 2D Front Fork Travel Sensor is a suspension potentiometer that allows you to separate the compression and rebound stages of the front DDC suspension. It also allows you to record suspension travel data in conjunction with the HP Race Datalogger.

P1020603_zpszjuj7afn.jpg

Trackday

A very eventful and final trackday of 2016. Track report and pictures to follow...

IMG_2263_zpsxjvl9wfe.jpg

Trackday

_DSC0683_zps9tiwpkka.jpg

This weekend marked my final trackday of 2016. My season traditionally finishes each year with the final event on the Snetterton calendar. Last year it was on 23 Nov 16 but this season it was a little earlier. Suffice to say conditions were cold and wet with track temperature never exceeding 7?C.

Tyre choice was simple and the easy decision was made to fit my HP Forged Wheels with Metzeler Racetec Rain tyres already mounted. All electronic settings were then placed in 'Rain' and compression and rebound (front and rear) were softened to take into account the wet conditions and the inevitable lack of heavy braking and aggressive acceleration. I enjoy riding on a wet track as there are generally few people around and it's nice to just circulate and feel what the bike is doing beneath you. The BMW is quite easy to ride fast in the wet especially when it's properly set-up for the conditions so you can generate heat in the tyres.

The morning sessions were uneventful however the afternoon didn't go quite to plan. The crash occurred on the entry to T1. Strangely I lost the front just prior to corner entry with a lean angle of only 15? on the penultimate session of the day. On reviewing the data I had started braking from 157 mph but I was approximately 11 mph faster at the point on the circuit where I would normally turn in compared to the previous four laps of the same session. That and braking force was slightly higher so with those two factors combined it would appear that I lost the front on a wet track due to carrying marginally more speed, and applying a little more brake pressure, than normal. My previous lap had also been much slower due to circuit traffic so I can probably attribute part of the cause to having lost too much heat from the front tyre. This is not my first crash on track, and certainly won't be my last, but the data has helped significantly in understanding the cause. In this particular case it was rider error resulting in an extremely fast lowside.

The damage to the bike on first inspection isn't to bad and appears to be mainly cosmetic. The alpha Racing and HP crash protection performed superbly and exactly as advertised. That said the bike will be picked up by Lind Motorrad shortly and assessed fully to check for any faults or issues.

With regards to my kit I can categorically say that I will never wear else anything other than Dainese. The airbag in my D-Air race suit deployed before I had even hit the tarmac, most likely saving me from any serious injury or broken bones. My race suit, boots and gloves, despite some very minor scuffs, have all survived fairly unscathed. Unsurprisingly, the only piece of kit that I will need to replace is my Dainese wet weather oversuit. That and I will need to send my suit back to a Dainese D-Store so the gas cartridge, integral to the D-Air system, can be recharged. Fortunately my brand new Arai helmet didn't come into contact with the ground so it doesn't need to be replaced.

Unfortunately this was not as positive an end to my season as last year but if you ride on track long enough crashes occasionally happen. On a positive note I have the entire off season to repair the BMW and get it ready for the start of 2017 and back out on track.

Trackday

I was the 21st person to crash on Sunday and in this particular case I would definitely apportion this one to rider error. The book of crash excuses only gets opened when I'm racing...

The downside of going for it on a wet track... pleased you're ok, sorry to hear the bike needs a bit of tlc, how fast were you going when you tipped off?

Ahh sh*t sorry to read that. Sounds like you've taken it on the chin well. At least there's nothing to hit at Richies (corner).
The bike will rise again and knowing you in an even better state!

- Sent from Mobile

Bad luck Ryan-it happens to all of us!
Stick to going quick in the dry,wet's for racing-only because you have no choice.
Anyway,You should know not to push it on the last one of the year.
At least you're ok,the bike's not important.

Not good to hear but you're ok which is the main thing.
At least it's not the start of the season!
I don't feel so bad about my low side now :tennis:

Latest posts

Back