BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 2D GPS Laptrigger

Hi, did you go for the Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro slicks ?

I have a new pair sitting here, looking forward to Almeria in September.

I usually run Metzeler CompK slicks but they don't do a 200 rear, only a 190, so I am trying the Pirelli's.

Pirelli

I have a new set of Pirelli Superbike BSB slicks ready to be mounted. Tyre sizes and compounds are Front 120/70 SC1 and Rear 200/60 SC2.

Re: 2D GPS Laptrigger

Hi, did you go for the Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro slicks ?

I have a new pair sitting here, looking forward to Almeria in September.

I usually run Metzeler CompK slicks but they don't do a 200 rear, only a 190, so I am trying the Pirelli's.
Hi mate. I'm down in Devon near Lynmouth on the bike at the mo. I went down to see Dave at his Aprilia dealership yesterday but he was out. Moving on to Newquay for a week soon. Can't flippen wait for Almeria now!

Trackday

The bike is now prepped for the next trackday and the HP Race Cover Kit is now refitted...

BMW HP Race Cover Kit

P1030045_zpshbyjfejo.jpg

P1030062_zpsmnvsihg3.jpg

P1030044_zpsu5ktdk7x.jpg

Trackday

More time on track yesterday at Snetterton in what turned out to be an extremely wet track evening. Feedback to follow...

P1030102_zpstu2tiygg.jpg

Trackday

P1030065_zps8mx5eoub.jpg

I managed to find time to get out on track again at Snetterton Monday evening after a bit of a hiatus. Originally, I had planned to fit a set of Pirelli Superbike slicks but given time constraints the Bridgestone RS10s remained fitted. The weather forecast however was somewhat unpredictable and the sighting laps and short first session were fortunately dry but I still managed to achieve a 2.01.44.

The remaining two sessions were altogether rather different due to heavy rainfall. I'm not one to be put off by a wet track, and unlike circuits like Silverstone and Donington Park, Snetterton's abrasive surface provides plenty of grip. The only significant changes to be made before going out were to soften the DDC settings to take into account the reduced pace and much more progressive braking in the wet. That and I altered Engine and DTC settings to RAIN, and ABS and DDC to RACE, in User mode.

Surprisingly, the Bridgestone tyres were actually very consistent and rather good in the wet. You could certainly feel them moving around beneath you and I only had one moment when I hit some standing water on the exit of T11 which wasn't there the previous lap. The result was a small slide from the front tyre but nothing to serious and the bike settled itself almost immediately. Other than that the electronic rider aids still allowed me to be quite aggressive with the throttle and not once did the rear tyre spin up under acceleration. In the wet this bike rewards smoothness and I'm convinced that with full race wets fitted this bike would be simply stunning.

The 2D GPS Laptrigger is fantastic. All that's required is to change the onboard laptimer to TRIG EXTERN in the race setup menu and as soon as you cross the start/finish line it automatically starts timings your current lap. For me this is simplicity at its best as it just restarts each lap and displays your best time from the session on your dash without any manual triggering. Given that it comes with all the main UK and European circuits stored within its memory that I'm ever likely to visit this has proved to be an ideal purchase.

Overall, not a bad track evening and what I've learnt about the bike is that it's almost as fun riding in the wet as it is in the dry, particularly as so many people failed to venture out leaving a relatively empty track.

Thanks for the positive comments. This thread is useful as it's a good way for me to document ownership of my bike and if it proves useful and interesting to others then that's great.

Dyno Power Run

P1030129_zpsqtp0kkjl.jpg

I've had my S1000RR on the Dyno this weekend for a power run. Conducted out of pure interest rather than necessity and to provide a baseline to see what power figures the bike is actually producing. With the bike placed in User mode with all settings placed in SLICK, and DTC and ABS turned off, it was onto the Dyno...

P1030127_zpsdbaanyvk.jpg

BMW claimed that the 2015 S1000RR produced 199 bhp during the initial press releases and track launch, and whilst all Dynojet machines tend to read differently, the resulting 191.3 bhp isn't far off. In my opinion that's extremely impressive for a bike with nothing more than an Akrapović slip-on exhaust fitted. What the power run has illustrated is just how good the standard exhaust system is.

Dyno%20Power%20Run_zpsxzhnebfw.jpeg

I have absolutely no interest in fitting a full race exhaust system, PCV or ECU remapping as I'm no longer racing. To be honest the BMW has more than enough power for my needs on both the track; and especially the road. Regardless it was an interesting exercise and it's always entertaining hearing a bike being revved freely on a Dyno.

Do BMW measure power at the crank or rear wheel? Assume your Dynojet reading is rear wheel? Warm weather might also account for the difference.. I agree its pretty academic though.

Dyno Power Run

BMW quote power figures in their press material for the 2015 S1000RR at the rear wheel; and yes the reading above was taken at the back wheel. Suffice to say it's more power than I'm ever likely to need but interesting nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back