BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Race Fairings

I will post a few pictures, along with a trackday report, in the next few days.

Re: Metzeler Racetec RR

New race compound Metzeler Racetec RR tyres ready to be fitted...

P1070342_zpsbhjbygaq.jpg

Been using these for a few meetings now, impressive...

Trackday

P1070378_zpsdq4jyeeg.jpg

I had a superb trackday at Snetterton earlier this week in sunny but windy conditions. The initial sighting laps were completed on my K3 tyres and as soon as those were done I returned to pit lane, put the bike on stands and removed the wheels. Twenty-five minutes later the tyres had been changed for a set of race compound Metzeler Racetec RRs and placed back on the warmers. I've opted for the tried and tested K1 (Soft) front and a K2 (Medium) rear tyre combination as from race experience with the older Racetec Interacts I know this works particularly well. With all the electronics set to 'SLICK' and the DTC value at '0' it was straight out on track to scrub in the tyres and set a baseline.

Following the first session changes to DDC were required due to the quicker pace and to help get the most from the increased grip offered by the Racetec RRs. Front compression was increased to help the bike turn in as I found that the higher corner entry speeds and heavier braking meant that the forks would dive too much. I also made a small adjustment to front rebound so that the front forks extended at a more controlled rate. This allowed the bike to feel more settled on corner entry and once on the throttle mid-corner, to help it hold a constant line through the corners and not run wide.

As for the rear the only change made was a slight increase to rebound to help the bike through faster corners as the rear had a tendency to weave under power triggering the DTC. This was simply a product of being able to go faster and getting on the throttle earlier than normal therefore necessitating a suspension change and not an issue with the rear tyre.

The only way to describe the performance from Metzeler's new race compound Racetec RRs is epic and the sheer level of grip from both front and rear tyres is immense. Such is the amount of outright grip available from the front tyre the back end would feel light under heavy braking but in no way did it ever become unstable. Whilst the profile is the same as the K3, the K1 felt much quicker to turn in and felt so much better and planted at high lean angles. The bank angle display was showing 59? when taking T9 and T10 and as a precaution I raised the height of the HP rearsets to avoid them decking out. The front tyre definitely has a stiff construction and this translates into a very sharp feel and it goes exactly where you want it to. Combined with a few subtle changes to the DDC suspension, and the lighter front fork springs that I have fitted, there was loads of feel generated from the front end. As for the rear the amount of grip it delivers is unreal and it just allows the bike to drive hard out of corners. My quickest lap time of the day was a 2:01.45 which is the fastest time I've been around Snetterton this season so far.

P1070376_zps9ckapnnj.jpg

I was running hot pressures of 31F and 27R which are well within Metzelers recommended ranges, and at no point were further pressure changes required as the wear rates were extremely good with no signs of hot or cold tear. The front tyre looks like it's only just been scrubbed in whilst the rear was wearing evenly across the entire profile of the tyre to the edge. Considering these are race tyres the soft K1 compound front easily has several more trackdays worth of life left in it and medium rear K2 tyre is probably good for at least another one.

I'm really pleased with my alpha Racing fairings and after a little bit of uncertainty I've definitely ordered the correct size screen as I was easily able to tuck in behind it down Snetterton's start/finish and back straights. Considering I managed to fit these the day before the trackday there were no issues with fitment and none of the Dzus fasteners shook loose on track in my haste to get them fitted. The only negative is that my BMW resembles an unfinished winter test bike at the moment and is in need of a bit of colour. This aspect should be completed sometime next month.

In conclusion this was a really good trackday and it's nice to finally fit proper race tyres to what is a superb bike that does everything I want it to do.

Great write up as usual ! Given that you are running all electronics in 'Slick' are you having to use the rear brake at all to control front end lift under hard acceleration - i.e. without the convenience of 'wheelie control' that the other modes give ?

Throttle

It depends on which corner I'm at on track. At Snetterton I will sometimes cover the rear brake on the corners which exit onto both the Start/Finish and back straights to control the rate at which the front end rises if needed. That or momentarily hold, or close the throttle if required, to settle the bike. Ultimately, it's just about having good throttle control and this is made easier by having the fly-by-wire throttle. I prefer the bike in SLICK mode as the front and rear brakes can be operated independently of one another in terms of the Race ABS.

alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Race Fairings

Thanks. The carbon fibre race fairings do look ok in their present state but somewhat unfinished when viewed close-up. All the panels will be removed shortly as they are due to be sent away at the end of next week. The final design is now confirmed and they should hopefully be ready for collection sometime in mid-July. I will post up a few pictures once they are finished.

alpha Racing

My final alpha Racing order for the season has now been dispatched...

Trackday

84 laps of Snetterton completed today at the No Limits Open Pit Lane event. Track report and pictures to follow...

P1070414_zpsjjqknvvy.jpg

Yeah,but he spends most of them cruising!(sorry,Ryan).

I only managed 65 laps(still 180 miles) but I'm twice his age and my laps averaged 2.01-2.03 in traffic all day and my last lap(at 4.57pm) was 1.59.Ryan sneaked off at 4pm!!!-lightweight.
But I'll pay for it tomorrow.

Trackday

Cycling through my onboard laptimer I was averaging much more leisurely lap times of 2:10-11s. I dropped into the low 2:04s a couple of times when provoked and the fastest I managed all day was a single 2:01.81 hot lap in the last session with a clear track before calling it a day.

Trackday

I will make sure I put in a sub-2:00s lap next time I'm there! As for provocation; inconsiderate block passes on trackdays normally do the trick!

Trackday

Yet more time on track this week at Snetterton, albeit this time for an Open Pit Lane day. These events are my favourite type of trackday as you can exit pit lane on to the circuit as little, or as much, as you like and rider numbers are much lower. My aim for these types of trackdays is to complete as many laps as possible and take advantage of the fact that track time is not restricted by groups.

I made absolutely no changes to the BMW this time out as I'm happy with the suspension adjustments I made during my last trackday. With regards to the Metzeler Racetec RRs, a small drop of 1 psi in hot rear tyre pressure was required to take into account the increasing ambient temperature and avoid the risk of any tearing. Wear rates, both front and rear, remain consistent but after the next trackday they will certainly need replacing.

All in all another good trackday onboard the S1000RR especially as it remained dry throughout.

Latest posts

Back