BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alpha Racing

If you are only tracking your bike then are you replacing the BMW engine case protectors and road fairings with more suitable alternatives?

To some extent yes and I will try and keep updating the thread over the next few weeks. I haven't even started fitting the majority of the kit that came in the alpha Racing box...

BMW HP Race Power Kit

I've finished fitting my Akrapovič full exhaust system today. Now the bike is ready to go back to BMW for the enabling code to be activated and the HP racing data release and mapping to be loaded.

BMW HP Race Power Kit

P1070042_zpsk2khvoln.jpg

P1070027_zpslcfarn0i.jpg

P1070034_zpse7pbk5gg.jpg

P1070030_zpsdzawetax.jpg

BMW HP Race Power Kit

The Akrapovič exhaust is new and came supplied with the HP Race Power Kit. It is however identical to the slip-on that was previously fitted on the bike and has since been sold.

BMW HP Race Power Kit

Thanks. I'm really pleased with the Akrapovič full system. The bike is scheduled to go back to BMW this week for the HP race data and mapping to be loaded. After that the bike will be back in bits again to fit the remainder of the alpha Racing parts.

alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors

Further trackday crash protection from alpha Racing fitted this weekend...

What did you use to secure the frame protectors to the frame?

They come supplied with clear silicone adhesive and are easy to fit once you have removed all the fairing panels.

Re: alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors

They come supplied with clear silicone adhesive and are easy to fit once you have removed all the fairing panels.

I asked because I have frame protectors on my HP4 which I fitted late this autumn. I haven't used silicone because I have been told by those who know more than I that it makes a mess of the frame and probably destroys the protectors if they need to be removed ever (I.e. To prove the frame is not scratched or damaged if ever selling the bike). So I went with a 3m Velcro type product instead. I'm not convinced either way is best at the moment but just curious as there are downsides to both ways of application.

I've always used silicone adhesive to affix frame protectors to my race/track bikes in the past. Fortunately I've never had any issues removing them or with the adhesive having any ill-effects on the frame.

BMW HP Race Power Kit

Further progress today. My bike is now back with BMW for the enabling code to be activated and the HP racing data release and mapping to be loaded.

Great stuff, bet you can't wait for it to be back. I know I can't and it's not even my bike. looking forward to it.

BMW HP Racing Data Release & Mapping

P1070087_zps2rorj6pc.jpg

My S1000RR has now been returned by BMW and my HP Race Power Kit is now fully fitted. In the last few days the ECU has been unlocked by BMW, using the supplied enabling code, and the HP racing data release and mapping has now been loaded. Whilst I have been able to fit the Akrapovič HP full race system myself the software update can only be enabled through BMW's own diagnostic system.

The racing data release has numerous effects on the engine management parameters (injection quantity, ignition timing, etc) of the bike and on the assistance provided by the ABS and DTC systems. The full functional scope of the racing data release is only available when the coding plug is installed and it is purely designed for race/track use.

There are significant changes in terms of engine management compared to the standard bike. In all four riding modes (RAIN, SPORT, RACE, SLICK) full engine power is now always available. This is in contrast with the standard bike where the principle is the sportier the mode you select, the more track orientated the riding characteristics will be. Whilst throttle response in all modes has been configured specifically for track use it remains slightly softer when RAIN mode is selected. That said USER mode is still available should I want to alter the standard riding mode configurations as before.

According to BMW the ABS settings are now identical in SPORT, RACE and SLICK riding modes with them all having the same response as the latter. The ABS response in RAIN mode is now the same as the previous RACE mode but in this case the ABS remains active for the rear wheel. The function for rear wheel lift detection, when the bike is under heavy braking, is no longer active in any mode when the coding plug is inserted.

The DTC settings differ significantly from those of the standard bike. The traction control response in all four riding modes is configured for riding on trackdays or racing. The focus is primarily on achieving fast lap times rather than on safety. Traction control is deactivated at slight angles of lean so that wheelies are now possible under acceleration when the bike is leant over and it is more susceptible to slides as the electronic intervention is much lower. This should prove quite entertaining when getting on the throttle as early as possible when exiting corners. Most importantly, and what becomes immediately apparent, when turning on the ignition is that I now have adjustable traction control (+7 to -7) in all riding modes. This for me is one of the best features of the HP racing data release.

Whilst BMW do claim increases in terms of both power and torque, particularly at midrange rpm, the bike will be going on the Dyno for a comparative power run prior to the start of the season. The individual parameters of the the HP racing data release are now permanently programmed in the ECU but should the need arise changes can be made with the use of a HP Race Calibration Kit 3.

I'm now looking forward to my first trackday of the season as it won't be until I get the bike back on track that I will be able to see how the HP Race Power Kit has affected the bike.

Interesting read.

When I spoke to BMW about the ecu upgrade last year they explained that it is irreversible, voids warranty and voids road homogenisation. Is that still the case?

Re: BMW HP Racing Data Release & Mapping

P1070087_zps2rorj6pc.jpg

My S1000RR has now been returned by BMW and my HP Race Power Kit is now fully fitted. In the last few days the ECU has been unlocked by BMW, using the supplied enabling code, and the HP racing data release and mapping has now been loaded. Whilst I have been able to fit the Akrapovič HP full race system myself the software update can only be enabled through BMW's own diagnostic system.

The racing data release has numerous effects on the engine management parameters (injection quantity, ignition timing, etc) of the bike and on the assistance provided by the ABS and DTC systems. The full functional scope of the racing data release is only available when the coding plug is installed and it is purely designed for race/track use.

There are significant changes in terms of engine management compared to the standard bike. In all four riding modes (RAIN, SPORT, RACE, SLICK) full engine power is now always available. This is in contrast with the standard bike where the principle is the sportier the mode you select, the more track orientated the riding characteristics will be. Whilst throttle response in all modes has been configured specifically for track use it remains slightly softer when RAIN mode is selected. That said USER mode is still available should I want to alter the standard riding mode configurations as before.

According to BMW the ABS settings are now identical in SPORT, RACE and SLICK riding modes with them all having the same response as the latter. The ABS response in RAIN mode is now the same as the previous RACE mode but in this case the ABS remains active for the rear wheel. The function for rear wheel lift detection, when the bike is under heavy braking, is no longer active in any mode when the coding plug is inserted.

The DTC settings differ significantly from those of the standard bike. The traction control response in all four riding modes is configured for riding on trackdays or racing. The focus is primarily on achieving fast lap times rather than on safety. Traction control is deactivated at slight angles of lean so that wheelies are now possible under acceleration when the bike is leant over and it is more susceptible to slides as the electronic intervention is much lower. This should prove quite entertaining when getting on the throttle as early as possible when exiting corners. Most importantly, and what becomes immediately apparent, when turning on the ignition is that I now have adjustable traction control (+7 to -7) in all riding modes. This for me is one of the best features of the HP racing data release.

Whilst BMW do claim increases in terms of both power and torque, particularly at midrange rpm, the bike will be going on the Dyno for a comparative power run prior to the start of the season. The individual parameters of the the HP racing data release are now permanently programmed in the ECU but should the need arise changes can be made with the use of a HP Race Calibration Kit 3.

I'm now looking forward to my first trackday of the season as it won't be until I get the bike back on track that I will be able to see how the HP Race Power Kit has affected the bike.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yeah baby.........Love it

BMW HP Race Power Kit

When fitting the HP Race Power Kit and enabling the associated racing data release and mapping you are required to sign a disclaimer by BMW. Essentially you are acknowledging the fact that you have fitted race equipment and ECU mapping to the bike and that it is no longer considered suitable for road use. In essence it becomes a race bike. The activation of the race function of the ECU cannot be reversed and is permanently reprogrammed as a constituent part of the HP Race Power Kit. The warranty is restricted as a result of installation. Recalls are still covered but if BMW deem that any major equipment failure is due to race use it is their discretion as to whether or not a claim against the warranty can be made. For me this is not an issue as I have very little interest in riding on the road. That and the stresses placed upon a motorcycle for trackday use is nowhere near that of race use so I do not envisage having any problems.

Re: BMW HP Race Power Kit

Is it still insured for the road? Where the insurance co. ok with the changes? Just wondering how the react to this kind of change.

Back