BMW ECU unlocking

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick753

Reaction score
When I recently got my 14 serviced, the guy on the service desk (after telling him that the bike was now being converted to a track bike) started talking about getting the ECU unlocked?

I've not actually heard anyone mention anything about unlocking but have heard about flashing at places like Hilltop etc, what exactly would it unlock if BMW did it, anyone had it done? anything to be really gained from it?

Getting the ECU flashed is a bit difficult for me as I am fairly convinced there is no-one within easy distance of us up in Scotland that does it and I have always preferred the PCV/Bazzazz and dyno route for getting a bike mapped, but someone even suggested sending the ECU to get done by that I assume he was talking about just getting it unlocked as surely there aren't people out there putting generic maps onto the ECU without the bike being there?

I should point out that a small part of my scepticism with the BMW unlocking comes from having been told by them that they could turn the lamp out warning out when I decided to strip it if I brought it in to them, when in actual fact it takes 30 seconds to do it yourself :wink-new:

Last edited:
The Calibration Kit is what they mean. It would null and void any warranty you just forked out for.

I have seen the RCK and ECU combos come up for sale on eBay. So you could fit an unlocked one for the track snd stick the stocker back in come service time.

- Sent from Mobile

BMW Race ECU / HP Racing Data Release / RCK

For clarification, on pre-2015 models, you would need to purchase a separate BMW Race ECU and the associated unlock code. The mapping that comes loaded on it is for the HP Race Power Kit (Akrapovič Full Race Exhaust). To tune it further you would then need to purchase an additional unlock code for the Race ECU which enables the use of a Race Calibration Kit 2. You would also need to purchase the associated RCK2 hardware (cable etc).

For post-2015 models you do not need to buy a separate BMW Race ECU. Instead you simply purchase an activation code from BMW to irreversibly 'Race Enable' the ECU. At the same time the HP Racing Data Release, and associated mapping for the HP Race Power Kit, is loaded. Again to tune it further you would then need to purchase an additional unlock code for the ECU which enables the use of a Race Calibration Kit 3. You would also need to purchase the associated RCK3 hardware to be able to use it. The RCK is soon to be upgraded to the RCK4, which has some minor additional features but the hardware to enable its use remains the same.

An important point to note is that if you fit a Race ECU, or 'Race Enable' a later model ECU, it restricts your warranty. If you then purchase the RCK activation code it will completely void your warranty. Upon activation of either you will be required to sign a disclaimer by BMW whereby you acknowledge that the bike is no longer homologated for road use and it is now classed by BMW as a race bike.

Intersting. I am currently looking at the best way to tune my gen3 for track. I haven't bought a full exhaust system yet but wanted look into cost of tuning before i did. I would like to go down the RCK route but it looks bloody expensive. Can anyone confirm costs? I have found someone selling the RCK 3 but i need to know what else is required.

cheers

Race Calibration Kit 3

The cost of the RCK 3 (Enabling Code and Hardware) is ?975.00.

Race Calibration Kit 3

Costs start to escalate significantly for tuning once you have purchased the RCK 3. There are only a few tuners in the UK that have the required expertise and training to effectively use BMW's calibration software as it is extremely complicated.

Latest posts

Back