bleeding abs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pof

Reaction score
going to do and oil and filter change shortly and i think i need to look at a brake bleed with fresh oil. jumped on bike this morning and the lever came straight back with zero pressure. a few pumps later it was up to "strength" and had no issues for the rest of the day.
ive never bled a bike with abs. anything i should be aware of?
ta in advance

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

going to do and oil and filter change shortly and i think i need to look at a brake bleed with fresh oil. jumped on bike this morning and the lever came straight back with zero pressure. a few pumps later it was up to "strength" and had no issues for the rest of the day.
ive never bled a bike with abs. anything i should be aware of?
ta in advance

I think you need a pump system to bleed the ABS, as my local bike shop couldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need a pump system to bleed the ABS, as my local bike shop couldn't do it.

good to know

good to know

I have done mine using a vacuum bleed system - no problem:biggrin-new: As for a bike shop not being able to do it They have no right to call themselves a bike shop in my opinion , they sound about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest !:woot:

i have a vacuum pump so hopefully no issues there. i takw it it 5.0 from bmw?

Iv done my 2011 without a vacuum kit, just bleed them like normal non abs brakes.

i have a vacuum pump so hopefully no issues there. i takw it it 5.0 from bmw?

Dot 4 is what I used and is stated on cap of brake fluid reservoir ! Any quality make will do I used Motul RBF600 racing brake fluid.

Dot 4 is what I used and is stated on cap of brake fluid reservoir ! Any quality make will do I used Motul RBF600 racing brake fluid.
what do you think bmw put in

Is there a way of activating the ABS pump via GS-911 or similar, so that the ABS circuit gets flushed?

I know from bleeding cars with ABS that if you don't cycle the ABS pump then old dirty fluid gets stuck in ABS whether or not you vacuum bleed

It doesn't appear to work like that on the ABS modulator on the BMW as I have changed the lines on mine, changed fluid numerous times, changed the master cylinder and calipers and have never had to activate the pump like you are talking about with cars.

Generally I tend to use a mityvac to drain and sometimes to bleed fresh fluid through and when that doesn't work I also reverse bleed using a syringe to pump fluid in from the caliper end, on the BMW I haven't bothered and instead just filled up and bled as normal, it took slightly longer to get pressure given how long the route is for the front calipers going via the seat area and then back to the front wheel but the fluid bled through spotlessly and lever is solid.

This lever coming to the bar though is a common enough problem that I have found other people complaining of and generally on standard braking systems (all tends to be ABS too) so the only thing I can thing of is air having been trapped in the the system somewhere in the ABS modulator, it happened to me on a number of occasions and I mentioned it to BMW when it went in for its second service as they were going to be doing a fluid change (because there was no record of it having been done on the first service apparently). They said they had never heard of the problem although it's easy to find on the internet.

Regardless even with a fluid change at BMW some days later it did it again exactly as described above, pull the lever first time and nothing, a few pulls and full strength brake lever which could remain like that for days, weeks or quite randomly it could be gone the next time you pull the lever after it has been stood for a while.

It could possibly be a smidge of air trapped in the master cylinder but I am inclined to rule that out on the basis that generally when air gets trapped in there it feels spongey all the time whereas this for me was completely random and it never affected braking performance or lever feel once the lever was pumped a couple of times at switch on.

good to know mick. if its a case of it randomly happen8ng when the bike is "sat" then i can deal with that but has anyone heard of it happening whilst the bike is actually turned on and moving

I have done mine using a vacuum bleed system - no problem:biggrin-new: As for a bike shop not being able to do it They have no right to call themselves a bike shop in my opinion , they sound about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest !:woot:

The reason why the couldn't do the brakes, was the fact they had to buy a certain type of tool which BMW recognised. I guess for insurance purposes. If you do it you're self and it fails you've only got your self to blame. Where as a shop can get sued. [emoji1304]

What is this certain type of tool that BMW use?

The braking system uses bleed nipples the same as any other hydraulic brake system on a bike, the ABS is a simplified version of a car one which doesn't need any special tools?

There is no black art or science to bleeding the brakes on an S1000RR with or without ABS

The brakes must be bleed with specific equipment (BMW or GS911) only after lines had been changed or a lot of air is in the system and trapped in the ABS pump, otherwise you follow the normal procedure.

What is this certain type of tool that BMW use?

The braking system uses bleed nipples the same as any other hydraulic brake system on a bike, the ABS is a simplified version of a car one which doesn't need any special tools?

There is no black art or science to bleeding the brakes on an S1000RR with or without ABS

I didn't ask for details, just got a reason why they couldn't. But they have got it now so everything's good [emoji4]

I had to do a dry bleed after my caliper service, no tools needed other than a spanner.

Attachments

• IMG_20170310_183918.jpg
    IMG_20170310_183918.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 33
The brakes must be bleed with specific equipment (BMW or GS911) only after lines had been changed or a lot of air is in the system and trapped in the ABS pump, otherwise you follow the normal procedure.

That's what i am asking, what is this specific equipment as i have the lines off and changed mine and re-bled as normal, exactly the same as I would do if I was replacing all the lines on a car ABS unit, if there is some sort of tool out there that BMW are saying is needed then I am inclined to believe that they have either made one for their techs to use or they are just talking bollocks.

An ABS pump on a bike is half as complicated as a car one and the BMW one is no exception, it isn't even by BMW standards overly engineered and works on the same principle as any other ABS modulator.

Anyone seen one of these specific tools they use?

That's what i am asking, what is this specific equipment.......
Anyone seen one of these specific tools they use?

I think they are referring to diagnostic software/ equipment ( e.g. BMW or GS-911) that allows you to purge the ABS unit during bleeding.

Some of the intermittent soft lever issues some have reported could be small amounts of air trapped in ABS and being released to main circuit when ABS cuts in.
The software would allow this to be purged during bleeding.

Latest posts

Back