bike alarm

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know u can get a datatool one for £90 not sure if it can fit our bikes?

On the second day of owning the bike, I fitted myself the rlink alarm. (alarm, perimeter alarm, pager and subscription 'tracker' - basically you can monitor yourself where you have been, last location, texts if alarm has sounded etc, knows what speed you have been aswell!)

Never took a bike apart before but it was off with the rear tail section, splicing into the relevant wires)...quite easy actually. You can now buy a plug & play loom for the S1krr.

Alarm is very loud and the chirps loud enough on the perimeter alarm- that I actually muffled it! I would switch off the perimeter alarm completely - if I was to park in a motorbike bay.

got a big chain , a screaming disk lock and a bull terrier.
always had grief with alarms on other bikes , and besides it doesn't stop em nicking the bike it just makes a noise.
You only have to look at peoples reactions when car or house alarms go off , nobody bats an eyelid IMO
Nowt like bolting it to the ground

I had a Datatool alarm on previous bike and that was 100% reliable. Wanted somekind of security and from what I read on the BMW alarm was not 'considered a good alarm???'.

You'll be a fool to think the alarm will stop the bike from being nicked ie into back of a van- its just a deterrent.

Nothing will stop the determined thief.....whether chain, dog, locked garage. You can only do what you can to protect your property.

At least on one occasion, on my previous bike, the alarm went off and prevented from being interfered with further. This alone to me said the alarm was worth it.

Saying all that I think I would have gone with the BMW alarm. You getting a bigger battery, cheaper and intergrates with the console so you get a flashing red light. With the rlink, at least I can remove it from the bike and put it on next bike.

unionjack link=topic=223.msg1429#msg1429 date=1319044739 said:
I'm with Bob I fooking hate alarms on bikes.
Me too, last one I had was in 2000 on my SP1, only had it fitted cos the Insurers needed it.

Docta13 link=topic=223.msg1430#msg1430 date=1319045910 said:
Lol. That's all u need a fookin text to tell u ur bikes being knicked!

......which saved my bike a while back.

Didn't hear the alarm, had my phone with me and had a text alert....ran out and saw 2 kids on an L' plated (nicked) scooter riding away.

Got to my bike and the disk lock alarm had been angle grinded and hammered off.

Main thing they had time to do this (less than 4mins I guess from the CCTV) and that it was in a covered area, away from general public Also didn't have my chain with me that day!

Won't go into any further detail as circumstances probably won't apply to most.

Oh well, if they took it and I didn't get it back, I would have saved more than a monkey on my 18k mile service and the rest.

Fino link=topic=223.msg18566#msg18566 date=1358767699 said:

Didn't hear the alarm, had my phone with me and had a text alert....ran out and saw 2 kids on an L' plated (nicked) scooter riding away.

Main thing they had time to do this (less than 4mins I guess from the CCTV) and that it was in a covered area, away from general public Also didn't have my chain with me that day!

Oh well, if they took it and I didn't get it back, I would have saved more than a monkey on my 18k mile service and the rest.

now look at what your saying again, u could of walked out to a few fully grown men and then u would of been fucked!

Docta13 link=topic=223.msg18577#msg18577 date=1358794749 said:

now look at what your saying again, u could of walked out to a few fully grown men and then u would of been fucked!

Think he was just talking about having the bike stolen ? ;)

Thanks for your concern. :-X Fortunately I saw whom (from a window) I was going to deal with before I ran out. They were obviously tooled up, yun'uns & no fear

Didn't realised what they had actually done until got to the bike. Would of had an audience (& back up) if it become fisticuffs.

Had it been a few grown men, should I had just cried like a baby? after all MY bike brought with my hard earned money, its only metal and it will be insured.........could of then got a 12' with heated grips.

Point is for this topic ::) bike alarm and my text alarm saved my bike (no need to go into any other detail......there are bike thieves who freqent bike forums).....I'm a bit brave but ain't stooopid :p

Fino link=topic=223.msg18587#msg18587 date=1358799608 said:

Thanks for your concern. :-X Fortunately I saw whom (from a window) I was going to deal with before I ran out. They were obviously tooled up, yun'uns & no fear

Didn't realised what they had actually done until got to the bike. Would of had an audience (& back up) if it become fisticuffs.

Had it been a few grown men, should I had just cried like a baby? after all MY bike brought with my hard earned money, its only metal and it will be insured.........could of then got a 12' with heated grips.

Point is for this topic ::) bike alarm and my text alarm saved my bike (no need to go into any other detail......there are bike thieves who freqent bike forums).....I'm a bit brave but ain't stooopid :p

ok enough now, if u wasnt that bothered then lets stop going on about it eh?

Apologies Doc.

Only highlighting my recent bike experiences. Don't leave bike out of sight/ be too far away is the main thing only took mins to break a 'decent' disk lock.

Also you were interested to know the answers as you wanted at the time to put something on your bike.

Docta13 link=topic=223.msg1403#msg1403 date=1318966217 said:
I'd be interested in these answers cos I want to put something on mine

From my experiences, people may now conclude not to bother.......

Fino link=topic=223.msg18595#msg18595 date=1358803926 said:
Apologies Doc.

Only highlighting my recent bike experiences. Don't leave bike out of sight/ be too far away is the main thing only took mins to break a 'decent' disk lock.

Also you were interested to know the answers as you wanted at the time to put something on your bike.

Docta13 link=topic=223.msg1403#msg1403 date=1318966217 said:
I'd be interested in these answers cos I want to put something on mine

From my experiences, people may now conclude not to bother.......

thats funny i thought all i said at the start of your ranting at me was........ i didnt really want a text message telling me that my bike was being stolen,
u was lucky as u was pretty near at the time, great if you was a while away from your bike though? what do u think

ps im not going on all night with this banter as its getting boring, after all i didnt bring this thread back up did i?

As you asked.....
Lucky x 2 as if I didn't have my phone with me, I would not have know anything unil too late, then steering lock busted and wheeled out. Might have found it later and claimed on the insurance for repairs etc.

Not much would/ could have been done if I wasn't close by.......there were general public nearby but totally understand with 'not my bike, not my problem'.

As I knew it was my bike I reacted....if not my bike, would I? dependant as before, brave not stupid.

Never having anything stolen before I think it must be pretty heart breaking; pride and joy gone, damaged etc. Dealing with insurance etc hence a small joke about a payout so I would get a new bike with heated grips....ride all year round. Also currently spent nearly £1.5k for service, new discs & pads and tyres. Could have saved all this money but only by claiming for a theft.

I did bring this thread up as I did a search and found an old existing topic. Wasn't ranting (at you) just that your reply was appropriate to begin to tell the tale of my little recent woe.

Can we now become best buddies?......only just donated £20 today and don't want to be banned for any misundertanding or becasue we disagree on merits of a bike alarm can alert by text.

My 2 pence worth on bike alarms,if the scumbags want your bike they'll nick it no matter what alarm is fitted,a big fook off chain and padlock chained to a ground anchor or around a lamp post is better imo and a disc lock with a siren when moved ;)

Back