Battery query with dealer

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornish matt

Reaction score
Hi all
Went to go out on the bike Friday but couldn't get it to start. The orange light came on to say it was in emergency shut down mode and it was turning over but just wouldn't fire.

Put it back on the optimiser and there was 12v or so there and the battery condition was showing as good. I was thinking it may be down to me removing / replacing the track chip from under the seat but may be clutching at straws.

Anyway.....

Got it to dealer who have now told me they have had it on charge all weekend and its a dead battery, need a new one.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and should I be eating humble pie as the dealer is correct and the battery may be dead??

Cheers

Matt

Engine turning over would make me think the battery was OK. Optimiser tells you battery was good. Dealer says battery is dead.

Doesn't add up.

The one thing I would believe is the turning over piece. If the battery is dead the starter wouldn't turn, it would probably just click.

I think your problem lies elsewhere, not the battery. A clue may be "emergency shutdown mode"

Haven't experienced it myself but I don't think a new battery will resolve your problem.......for long.

Regards
Davy

When did you last use your bike before it wouldn't start?

Odd that you checked it was showing 12v and now battery is not recoverable.

My only experience re: battery is that I didn't use a battery optimiser on my bike during my holidays (10 days) and battery the drianed. Used the optimiser for 24hrs when I got back and it inidicated that it still wasn't 100% charged/ battery good. Had to go to work and thought I'll give it a go and nothing. A|ll lights on, but no clicking.

Anyway, got it recovered to the dealer who put it on charge for a couple hrs and all was well. They said my aftermarket alarm being on didn't help during the initial charge.

I've recently upgraded from the 10cell to a 14cell battery just for that extra juice on start up.

Hope you get your issues sorted and if its a newish bike, maybe a battery under warranty??

One time mine wouldnt start gave it 24hrs on optimate and still not enough in the battery. Called out bmw, put a check on it and said battery was fine just low, also said that optimates etc will not pick up a battery successful enough they are only a miniscule top up not a charger as such. Gave it a boost, went out for an hr or so and has been fine since (12mnths ago) Hence keep it on all the time now (when im not riding lol)

I believe that if the ecu detects that the battery charge is below a certain level and it isn't that low it stops the injectors from firing. It should read just over 12v stopped on a multi meter and just over 14v when running.

That is the plan of action I am taking but that's because I don't get a chance to use mine much.
The bike is in a well insulated garage so temperature wasnt an issue.
The previous owner never used it (less than 500 miles in 3 years) so I think that is the other thing that didn't help.

my bike sat about most of winter without an optimate, started first time at the weekend, so i think 10 days is a bit overkill (u must have something going on for a battery only to last 10 days)

my bike sat about most of winter without an optimate, started first time at the weekend, so i think 10 days is a bit overkill (u must have something going on for a battery only to last 10 days)

Same here, Last used my Bike Sep 2012 and Started 1st Time Last Week, No Optimate etc.
I have been Informed that the Optimate should not be used on the BMW due to the Canbus Wiring but hey everyone has their own Opinions. There may be some truth in that as I've noticed Specific Chargers for Bikes with Canbus Wiring.

Same here, Last used my Bike Sep 2012 and Started 1st Time Last Week, No Optimate etc.
I have been Informed that the Optimate should not be used on the BMW due to the Canbus Wiring but hey everyone has their own Opinions. There may be some truth in that as I've noticed Specific Chargers for Bikes with Canbus Wiring.

Optimate is not a problem if you a) buy the Canbus compatible version or b) Wire it directly to the battery using the dedicated connectors. I have gone the option b route on my last 3 bikes with an Optimate 3 SP leaving it permanently plugged in when it's in the garage. On my S1000RR, I have routed the connector cable to under the rear seat. When I get home, it's a 2 second job to unlock the seat and plug it in. Never had a battery problem, nor had to replace one.

The perimeter sensor was selected on my non-Bmw alarm. A further parasite drain on the battery. Should last longer than 10 days now. But lesson learnt, chuck it on the optimiser or not have the perimeter sensor on when I know the bike won't be used for a while.

I use my bike nearly every day but still I had it on the optimiser when we had the colder weather........just in case.

My mates gixer was not used for a few months and started first time. He then got a datatool alarm fitted and drained the battery after a month after non-use.

Latest posts

Back