Balance new rear tyre ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly

Reaction score
My local shop insist a new rear should be balanced, ?20 for fit/balance/disposal on a loose wheel seems a bit steep to me though. So does the rear really need balancing ?

My local shop insist a new rear should be balanced, ?20 for fit/balance/disposal on a loose wheel seems a bit steep to me though. So does the rear really need balancing ?
Nope, it does not really need balancing that is up to you.
I usually get my wheels balanced in with the cost of the tyre.

?16-60 plus vat is not too bad if you didnt buy the tyre from them (?)

Probably, I'm just used to paying ?10 cash but the usual fitter has disappeared.

Having my bike done tomorrow ?262 fitted to the bike or ?242 if I take the wheels in myself so thats ?10 a wheel off the bike or ?20 on the bike

Having my bike done tomorrow ?262 fitted to the bike or ?242 if I take the wheels in myself so thats ?10 a wheel off the bike or ?20 on the bike
? they are giving you ?20 off for them not having to remove and replace your wheels.

They make their money by supplying and fitting tyres, not by fitting only.

Cos it doesn't really need to be balanced, your not going to notice an unbalanced rear wheel for road use. How many years did bikes go with unbalanced wheels? No one use to say "oh I wish my wheel had that 2g weight on it"

In my experience, an unbalanced rear only really becomes noticeable after 100mph and if its only a slight misbalance (which it normally is) then it will be 130+, doing those speeds on normal roads, the road is so bumpy that the road surface actually drowns over any misbalance of the wheel.

For a track, if it was a nice smooth home straight then yes probably worth doing.

This will be the first new rear after the tyre the bike came with new, there's no balance weights on the wheel now, anyone know if BMW balanced the rear from the factory ? I agree ?20 is steep but the next nearest place will cost ?5 to drive to, hardly seems worth the hassle.

There's a yellow dot on new tyres and that has to be ligned up with the tyre valve all to do with the balance of the tyre to the wheel. If this is done tidy the wheel should be neer as god dang it to being ballanced without the need for extre weights but this isn't always the case, I track my bike so want mine perfectly balanced

Back