Average age of riders here

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I ask is does anyone else feel its mostly older guys riding bikes now ( I count myself in this at 41)

when I started riding a bike in my teens and the. Went onto full license as soon as I could it was a great mix of ages guys from all walks of life who knew what a spanner was and could help fix a bike at the side of the road seems not many younger people are doing there tests now factors like cost of test bike insurance cost of bike the negative image the media and police like to show.

Its seems we are a dying breed ( literaly ) and get the short straw in all things from fellow road uses to the roads being a death trap ffull of pot hoholes

most dealers are not helping matters at Xmas I went in to Honda Yamaha and BMW for tee shirts type stuff ( Lorenzo Rossi pedrosa ruban ) ect cor some of my riding buddies and I never got any!!!!!!!! Honda said to look on the oz website Yamaha has a cardboard cut out of Rossi wen it was fiat Yamaha a mean wtf ....... Eh hello we are trying to
bring more people into the sport/ riding way of thinking

so ended up buying online

anyways any thots on the above feel free to add maybe am not the onlyone who thinks like this lol

Starting riding young over the dump near claremont road, by the north circular, north west london on a fizzy, was about 10, i won't list the bikes since then, but have ridden everything, except cruisers (on principle). I am now 45 physically but am reputed to be approx 14 mentally or so says wifey.

Reason we are a dying breed is there are less and less people that want the risk of riding on our busy roads. 40 times more likely to die if you ride to work and back instead say driving.

http://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/bike-accident-statistics

So my riding is purely social now.

Starting riding young over the dump near claremont road, by the north circular, north west london on a fizzy, was about 10, i won't list the bikes since then, but have ridden everything, except cruisers (on principle). I am now 45 physically but am reputed to be approx 14 mentally or so says wifey.

Reason we are a dying breed is there are less and less people that want the risk of riding on our busy roads. 40 times more likely to die if you ride to work and back instead say driving.

http://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/bike-accident-statistics

So my riding is purely social now.

That link states: "Motorcycle traffic increased by just under 1%" but "362 motorcycle users killed in 2011, a 10% decrease compared to 2010". That would say there's more bikers on the road but less deaths. So it would appear we are far from a dying breed.

I just wasted 3 minutes of my (short) life reading those stats.

I got back on a bike when I reached 28 (?), I thought I was more mature (wrong)... :stupid:

That link states: "Motorcycle traffic increased by just under 1%" but "362 motorcycle users killed in 2011, a 10% decrease compared to 2010". That would say there's more bikers on the road but less deaths. So it would appear we are far from a dying breed.

Read further down :) 40 times more likely to die on the road than a car commuter. anyhow when i said bikers were a dying breed, i meant its down to the extra risk of death, not the actual fatalities, they have come down a bit but serious injury is well up.

Many of people I know would like to ride bike barr a few. They don't because they do not want to take the higher risk of injury. Or they will only track. which is fair enough.

Not dying, but f*cked up. Total casualties went up by 8% at the same time, as did serious injuries. The fall in the number of fatalities probably has more to do with better rider equipment saving lives (both bike technology and rider protection).

Hello. I turned 69 last November. I have been riding since I was 21. I sold my Harleys in the spring of 2013. I bought an S1000rr last summer. I ride it and an F800ST. Long live. Larry

And there I was, thinking I was the youngest at 25.... Damn. Ha.

The great thing about riding motrcycles is that no-one worries about your age. You can be 30 and riding a Fazer (nothing wrong with Fazers) or 57 and riding a HP4. The whole love of bikes and biking is that it brings everyone together, men and women, older and younger with one mutual and very exciting subject. I'm 'old', have a HP4 and an R1 track bike and most of the guys that I ride with are in their 20's or 30's. I have never been to a track day or just out for a ride and not met someone that owns a bike or rides a bike and doesn't want to talk about bikes and biking. I think it's the most exhilerating thing, being in control of a bike developing nearly 200hp. 20 or 60, just enjoy and stay safe.

My insurance is a small fortune , Im paying £1400 a year for my S1K. :grumpy:

My insurance is a small fortune, Im paying £1400 a year for my S1K.

Well would I rather be 22 again and fork out £1400 or 53 and pay £400........ I'll take being 22 again :)

Back