Average age of riders here

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with you soofsayer regarding the access..affordability thing... your spot on...its easy to get into the car scene early doors..bikes were magical to me when i was young...a totally different world...Superbike and Motorcycle Mechanics...two strokes... micron pipes stan stephens tuning... classified ads selling stuff like oko puncture proof shit and V wipes for your visor...GS1000s Laverda Jotas...RD400 X7s think weve lost that special thing ...

Oh and as Ogri said petrol wuz two bob a gallon... bring back the good old days

Haha, crossply tyres on wet roundabouts were a 'special thing', I don't bloody miss them!

Nice wee selection there Simon.... There's no thrill like it... Mind you Sex or a 200 yard 5 iron to 6 inches comes close.... You can't explain it people who ain't into bikes..... I use analogies like those...then they go.....really...nawwww canny be that good... Lol

42 only been riding 3.5 years on my fifth bike already! yamaha fz6 too small, honda varadero 1000 too big, kawa z1000sx great bike, 1200gs watercooled great bike but average age of rider was about 96! Now with 11 plate s1000rr great bike.......for now!

48 - been riding since 17. First bike was a Montesa Cota trials bike then got a Yam DT125LC and passed my test on this then got myself a Kawasaki GPZ600.
Passed the car test had a lay off bikes for a bit. Went to the NEC bike show in 91 and fell for the Suzuki GSXR750M so got one. Chopped this in for a 92 Honda CBR900RRN Fireblade, had this for 3 years then a had bright idea of doing continental mileage and somehow convinced myself that a Triumph Tiger 900 was the way to go.
Didn't have this long then got myself a Suzuki GSXR750SRAD. Got shut of the SRAD and purchased a 99 Yamaha R1, got a Yamaha TTX600 trail bike then a Y2k Honda CBR929 Fireblade. Busy garage so all went in favour of a GSXR1000K7 TT Replica. This was followed by a 09 HRC Fireblade and now I'm on the 15 S1K.

I can see that continent again having seen the new Triumph Explorer range. I still feel like I'm 17 when I'm on the BMW though but my wrists and back tell me otherwise.

Hi all... Been looking at this thread with a bit of trepidation to be honest. Shall I, or Shan't, I wondered....Well I finally thought I would..... so here goes! I'm new to this forum and thought I would contribute a little. Right....I've been riding motorbikes since I was sixteen, starting this marathon in about 1962. I rode a BSA 175 Bantam till I passed my test a year later. I can hear you all now saying, WTF is a Bantam?...... Then I had a road test on a BSA Road Rocket, again, WTF. (I get the drift :confused-new:) That was a quick bike then by those days standards. I then bought a BSA 500 Clubmans Gold Star, (again WTF) which was the dog's bollocks back then. Then I met my wife to be and kept the bike for some years and eventually got married. When my wife started with our first child, I did the decent thing and sold the Goldie and "grew up." When she was 7 Or 8 months pregnant I just had to get another bike, so I got another Gold Star. More bikes followed, including another Goldie. To cut a rather long story short, I've been riding now for just short of 54 years, with a short break during my wife's pregnancy of about a couple of months or so. So, I'll come clean and admit to being 70 in April next year. It's good to know that a 69 year old can still bounce and cartwheel after my "moment of madness" documented in in the Welcome section of this forum.

Hi Road Runner, nothing wrong with being 69 and still being game enough to to do cartwheels through hedges. You've probably spent more time filling up your tank than some riders have been in the saddle. You must have some belting stories, you are a lucky guy.

I hope that I can still do it at that age, you are an inspiration.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
I'm 30. Been riding 4 and a half years. This will only be my third bike. I had a Triumph Speed Four as my first and still have an old Fireblade that's waiting on being sold. Pick the BM up on Christmas Eve to make it the 3rd installment in my riding history. Technically 4th bike I've owned as I have a ZXR 750 J that I'm rebuilding, but never ridden it yet.

I'm 30. Been riding 4 and a half years. This will only be my third bike. I had a Triumph Speed Four as my first and still have an old Fireblade that's waiting on being sold. Pick the BM up on Christmas Eve to make it the 3rd installment in my riding history. Technically 4th bike I've owned as I have a ZXR 750 J that I'm rebuilding, but never ridden it yet.

I had a new ZXR750H1 (that was a while ago...! Of course I was very young :D ) and later bought a crashed ZXR750L that I did up and finished off in Kawasaki France (C Fogarty) colours. Great looking and handling bikes but bloody heavy and a bit steady compared with the latest stuff. What plans have you got for yours?

Hi Mac, to be honest it was an impulse buy from eBay. Cheap. Although hasn't turned out that way since. Had a nut and bolt rebuild. Frame powder coated, forks fully built including new sliders. Everything shot blasted and painted. Etc etc. Just falling atblast hurdle of fairing prep and paint. Need to get my finger out. I'm just going the bog standard green route although the doors being left open to other colours by vinyl later on. Originally was going to track but got carried away so not sure now!

Hi all... Been looking at this thread with a bit of trepidation to be honest. Shall I, or Shan't, I wondered....Well I finally thought I would..... so here goes! I'm new to this forum and thought I would contribute a little. Right....I've been riding motorbikes since I was sixteen, starting this marathon in about 1962. I rode a BSA 175 Bantam till I passed my test a year later. I can hear you all now saying, WTF is a Bantam?...... Then I had a road test on a BSA Road Rocket, again, WTF. (I get the drift :confused-new:) That was a quick bike then by those days standards. I then bought a BSA 500 Clubmans Gold Star, (again WTF) which was the dog's bollocks back then. Then I met my wife to be and kept the bike for some years and eventually got married. When my wife started with our first child, I did the decent thing and sold the Goldie and "grew up." When she was 7 Or 8 months pregnant I just had to get another bike, so I got another Gold Star. More bikes followed, including another Goldie. To cut a rather long story short, I've been riding now for just short of 54 years, with a short break during my wife's pregnancy of about a couple of months or so. So, I'll come clean and admit to being 70 in April next year. It's good to know that a 69 year old can still bounce and cartwheel after my "moment of madness" documented in in the Welcome section of this forum.

Have you still got a Goldie?-if you have,lucky you,though,I bet you've had an electric start conversion!!

No baz, I haven't. I was going to buy one recently and was prepared to spend about ?18000. for one. BUT there are so many fakes out there, I couldn't be sure of the bikes authenticity, as, for that sort of outlay the bike has to be correct. I do attend the Gold Star owner's club from time to time and get my fix of nostalgia there. This is the sort of thing that can happen in an extreme case. A friend of mine has a 500 Clubmans Goldie and has owned it for years. All of a sudden, there's a knock on the door and it's Mr Plod, telling my mate that there is another bike with the same registration number and frame number running around somewhere in the UK, and his bike is a fake and he can't use it on the road anymore. He is still wrapped up in all the legal stuff with no end in sight.....
I do have another friend who is building one at he moment but I can't see that one surfacing anytime soon, as he has been building it for the best part of 20 years, partly, I suspect because he is also building a Manx / Triumph and a Sealey / Gold Star, all at the same time.

Hi Road Runner, nothing wrong with being 69 and still being game enough to to do cartwheels through hedges. You've probably spent more time filling up your tank than some riders have been in the saddle. You must have some belting stories, you are a lucky guy.

I hope that I can still do it at that age, you are an inspiration.

JimmyMac

Hi JM.... I'm not so sure i'll be able to bounce if there's a next time:hororr: I'll just have to try to fight those moments of madness that seem to overwhelm me now and then. I do have lots of stories about riding bikes back then. Like being part of a group of "ton up boys", blasting all over the country side, at great speed, wearing only leather jacket, jeans and boots. You'll notice no crash hats or any other sort of protection. I would only wear my helmet (Jet Type then) when it rained. I remember riding in freezing fog with my girl friend, later to become my lovely wife, placing her hands over my forehead to keep out the intense cold. I was a die hard even back then, watching all my mates getting married and packing in the bikes. My group of biker friends got smaller and smaller 'till there was just me. I spent years riding around on my own, on My Gold Star, 750 Honda and my Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP. I used to park up in laybys and wait for bikers to go by, and if they were on a quick bike and looked like they could ride it, I would shoot off and join them for a quick blast home or where ever. Many's the time when we would be bombing along at speed only for my new pal to jamb on the brakes and "creep" round any corner that got in the way. I didn't take that for long before I would overtake and finish the ride out by myself....much safer that way. I remember the times without any sort of speed cameras, none of these multiple speed limits we seem to have now on the same stretch of road these days. And when the round, white sign with the black line through it meant NO SPEED LIMIT. Those were the days.

As for being an inspiration! how can I be for something that I love doing. I will ride until I can't do it any more. I'm already starting to feel the first pains of age, with a bit of tennis elbow and arthritis in my right hand......Oh No, not my throttle hand!!!

No baz, I haven't. I was going to buy one recently and was prepared to spend about ?18000. for one. BUT there are so many fakes out there, I couldn't be sure of the bikes authenticity, as, for that sort of outlay the bike has to be correct. I do attend the Gold Star owner's club from time to time and get my fix of nostalgia there. This is the sort of thing that can happen in an extreme case. A friend of mine has a 500 Clubmans Goldie and has owned it for years. All of a sudden, there's a knock on the door and it's Mr Plod, telling my mate that there is another bike with the same registration number and frame number running around somewhere in the UK, and his bike is a fake and he can't use it on the road anymore. He is still wrapped up in all the legal stuff with no end in sight.....
I do have another friend who is building one at he moment but I can't see that one surfacing anytime soon, as he has been building it for the best part of 20 years, partly, I suspect because he is also building a Manx / Triumph and a Sealey / Gold Star, all at the same time.

Yeah,that's a worry-puts you off a bit!
There's something about a Goldie,I could look at one all day!
I sometimes wish I still had one.

Latest posts

Back