Anyone done a rear underslung caliper conversion

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alol

Reaction score
I know there are the odd underslung bracket option for the rear caliper, Has anyone done one?

I see there is a Taiwanese company who list one on ebay, Although looks like you have to change the wheels to fit it?

Thanks

Alan

i did look as i did an underslung on my r1. the r1 came in at ?180 , the bmw one was about 700 quid

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
9eb8f4eb389b67943f2646911d0e6601.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Underslung Rear Brake Caliper

alpha Racing also make an underslung rear caliper kit but it certainly isn't cheap and you will also need to buy a new Brembo rear caliper and brake line. You would also need to check wheel compatibility.

Re: Underslung Rear Brake Caliper

alpha Racing also make an underslung rear caliper kit but it certainly isn't cheap and you will also need to buy a new Brembo rear caliper and brake line. You would also need to check wheel compatibility.

Yes the alpha kit requires either Alpha or OZ rims as the OE wheel has an extra bearing which i guess means it is too wide at that side.

Underslung Rear Brake Caliper

I personally wouldn't bother relocating the OEM rear caliper as it hasn't been designed to be mounted upside down. If you are going to do it then I would do it properly and buy a bespoke Brembo rear caliper, bracket and use the correct wheels. That said its only really worth it if you are going racing, and even then the standard caliper, in its original position, is plenty good enough for SSTK racing. Yes, it is easier and quicker to fit a rear wheel with an underslung caliper but then you may want to consider a quick release rear axle kit... or just practice removing and refitting the rear wheel.

Re: Underslung Rear Brake Caliper

I personally wouldn't bother relocating the OEM rear caliper as it hasn't been designed to be mounted upside down. If you are going to do it then I would do it properly and buy a bespoke Brembo rear caliper, bracket and use the correct wheels. That said its only really worth it if you are going racing, and even then the standard caliper, in its original position, is plenty good enough for SSTK racing. Yes, it is easier and quicker to fit a rear wheel with an underslung caliper but then you may want to consider a quick release rear axle kit... or just practice removing and refitting the rear wheel.

I am with you regarding inverting the standard caliper as the L74 kit does. I think that kit is extremely expensive considering what it consists of. I guess the price is always going to be expensive as a popular as the S1000RR is, not many people do the modification. I found that with my RSV4. in that any aftermarket parts were expensive compared to Japanese bikes as again the development cost recoup with the poor sales of the RSV4 was probably the reason. I think where the S1000RR is concerned any stuff is expensive because imho the view is all BMW owners are wealthy.....

Parts

When it comes to the price of quality race parts motorcycle brand is largely irrelevant. Race parts for BMWs are no more expensive than parts from the likes of HRC (Honda) and YEC (Yamaha) etc. Ultimately, you get what you pay for.

totally get what you are saving when you are talking race/kit parts.

It's just i don't recall seeing much of L74, Dissacato stuff on race bikes...........

totally get what you are saving when you are talking race/kit parts.

It's just i don't recall seeing much of L74, Dissacato stuff on race bikes...........

Proper race bikes have different swingarms etc. Their investment is way beyond the ?750 for an L74 or similar kit, which btw can be ordered with a replacement caliper. L74 are definitely premium enthusiast level/spec series aimed.

Swingarm

The HP4 Race swingarm is made by S?ter. They range from ?6,000-9,000 each depending on which specification and bracing you choose. You will see them fitted to the Smiths Racing and Tyco BMW BSB race bikes.

I had a good close-up nosey around two HP4 races that were on display today at AJ, both sold. There is very little that they share with the standard bike, I think the GB racing covers were generic lol. The bike is a work of art, the fuel tank is beautifully finished let alone the carbon and additions, I can't see how anyone would want to buy one and track it unless money was of no importance, which may be the case. But if I was in that position and I had nothing better to do I still wouldn't track it, I'd put it somewhere in my mansion on display and buy a super stocker / WSB bike and use that for tracktime. I just dont get it, unless of course, the bikes are going to speculators which is a dangerous game to play with a 750 unit production run.

I had a good close-up nosey around two HP4 races that were on display today at AJ, both sold. There is very little that they share with the standard bike, I think the GB racing covers were generic lol. The bike is a work of art, the fuel tank is beautifully finished let alone the carbon and additions, I can't see how anyone would want to buy one and track it unless money was of no importance, which may be the case. But if I was in that position and I had nothing better to do I still wouldn't track it, I'd put it somewhere in my mansion on display and buy a super stocker / WSB bike and use that for tracktime. I just dont get it, unless of course, the bikes are going to speculators which is a dangerous game to play with a 750 unit production run.

Or, if you can buy 1 then you can probably buy 2 and thrash one of them.

Oopppss, there are a couple of threads on here that i hold responsible for my rather rash decision to impulsively purchase this when it came up for sale.

Like Kylezx7r race thread i've been told (being a larger than average build) that running the wheelbase slightly longer and lower will help the bike get the power down better. This got me looking at available options & the harris conversion seemed a potential way to go.

When this popped up, i bought it without a second thought.

20171023_200325 by Lee Clack, on Flickr

20171023_200418 by Lee Clack, on Flickr

Needs some spacers to get the HP wheels to fit and the caliper bracket needs tweeking for the tc ring but will be quick release when done.

Latest posts

Back