Any tips for her maiden track-day

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Evening Gents,

Right then. Spent lots of last year thrashing an RC8R around most of the UK tracks, learning how to ride very fast. Honestly can say it was the best fun biking year I've ever had.
Come 2017, I blew the RC8R's engine at Brands on their opening trackday of the year, FFS.
Splashed out on a new S1KRR, got the beauty home and 4000 miles later have spent most of 2017 -N-O-T- taking her on track as couldn't bear the idea of chucking her in the kitty litter.

Sat at work today with thumb firmly up backside, 1000 yard stare and suddenly I'm booked into Brands Hatch for this Thursday, first time on the GP circuit (the RC8R only ever just passed the Indy limit). The S1KRR has a stock exhaust so not expecting noise trouble.

Gonna ride there and back (not ideal I know). Got new-ish Rosso III's. Decided I'm gonna enjoy it and not worry about taking a slide. I'm gonna spend the day checking out the difference between sport and race modes (cannot feel it on the road). I'll investigate slick and user next time with proper tyres.

Some requests for info:
  1. The RC8R was totally analogue, no aids or slipper clutch, nuthin. I've now developed a liking engine braking (no surprises I blew the RC8R): Am I likely to feel the slipper clutch when doing some heavy engine braking? I haven't noticed it on the road.
  2. Any tips for tyre pressures for the RossoIII's?
  3. Anyone remember their vital stats from a Brands GP day? Lean angles, top speeds etc. (I suppose DTC and deceleration varies with yer mode). I'll be lowering myself gently into things, but be good to know what you lot get up to (...cue pissing competition...LoL).
  4. Anyone tried turning off DTC or ABS on track? Not planning on doing so myself but interested to know the headlines (...cue crashing jokes...). I'm gonna spend a track day next year carefully investigating it as I'm really interested to see just how much DTC and ABS saves my ass on the road. The dash numbers mean FA to me.
Cheers,
H

ps. Spaces still left at time of writing.

31F/29R should be a good starting point.
I'd just stick it in USER/SLICK and see how you get on.

+1 on User or Slick Mode.
User Mode simply allows you to pick and choose your desired ABS, DTC, DDC and Engine (i.e throttle) response independently.

Re engine breaking, bear in mind that regardless of the mode you use, an i4 will never generate as much engine braking as a V twin. The slipper clutch is most definitely noticeable when downshifting manually, particularly if you don't rev match. However, as the Gen 3 RR's have an autoblipper I suspect you'll just use that all the time?
The Slick engine mode has the closest to a 1-1 throttle connection and the least engine braking.

Have a fantastic, and most of all safe time on track. Will look forward to hearing about it in due course! [emoji16]

Rain mode with max dtc is safe, slick with min dtc is crashing territory, anywhere in between is depending on skills or/and big balls level. Sounds like you like to rag it so slick with max dtc to start then back it off (you can on the move) as you feel more comfortable. Race will see anti wheelie and abs work more but keep the power.
Just remember, you need to get home lol. Enjoy, it's a fantastic track.

Evening Gents,

Right then. Spent lots of last year thrashing an RC8R around most of the UK tracks, learning how to ride very fast. Honestly can say it was the best fun biking year I've ever had.
Come 2017, I blew the RC8R's engine at Brands on their opening trackday of the year, FFS.
Splashed out on a new S1KRR, got the beauty home and 4000 miles later have spent most of 2017 -N-O-T- taking her on track as couldn't bear the idea of chucking her in the kitty litter.

Sat at work today with thumb firmly up backside, 1000 yard stare and suddenly I'm booked into Brands Hatch for this Thursday, first time on the GP circuit (the RC8R only ever just passed the Indy limit). The S1KRR has a stock exhaust so not expecting noise trouble.

Gonna ride there and back (not ideal I know). Got new-ish Rosso III's. Decided I'm gonna enjoy it and not worry about taking a slide. I'm gonna spend the day checking out the difference between sport and race modes (cannot feel it on the road). I'll investigate slick and user next time with proper tyres.

Some requests for info:
  1. The RC8R was totally analogue, no aids or slipper clutch, nuthin. I've now developed a liking engine braking (no surprises I blew the RC8R): Am I likely to feel the slipper clutch when doing some heavy engine braking? I haven't noticed it on the road.
  2. Any tips for tyre pressures for the RossoIII's?
  3. Anyone remember their vital stats from a Brands GP day? Lean angles, top speeds etc. (I suppose DTC and deceleration varies with yer mode). I'll be lowering myself gently into things, but be good to know what you lot get up to (...cue pissing competition...LoL).
  4. Anyone tried turning off DTC or ABS on track? Not planning on doing so myself but interested to know the headlines (...cue crashing jokes...). I'm gonna spend a track day next year carefully investigating it as I'm really interested to see just how much DTC and ABS saves my ass on the road. The dash numbers mean FA to me.
Cheers,
H

ps. Spaces still left at time of writing.

You'll really appreciate the aids would be my guess, particularly Traction Control, Blipper, and slipper Clutch. I was very surprised about how easy they are round a track, just point in the right direction and hold on to be honest.
1. The Slipper Clutch feels completely transparent to me. Used with the blipper, you have an awesome combination that always seems to give you the amount of engine braking you need - there will be no surprises! The up/down really comes into play on track. Couldn't be without it now, it feels much safer and has been faultless. The only thing to watch for is dithering with your upchange going round the long righthander (Clark curve?). It can be quite a reach to pull the leaver up when cranked over. Always considered changing to race shift for this reason, but I'd probably confuse myself..
2. I normally go with 31psi Front and start with 28psi rear, but adjust the rear down in little steps if it tears or it's a hot day. I wouldn't go lower on the front though.
3. You'll probably see 150+ if you manange to get Clark curve right, I rarely do though. 56deg tops for me, but I did meet somebody at the 'Ring this summer who managed 65deg on road tryes, and had nearly lost their heroblobs as a result. Nuts really.
4. Nope. I always use race mode, I wouldn't bother going beyond unless you know what you're doing and are running into a limitation. That TC and ABS is awesome, why be without?
Good luck and report back how you find the S1, my first time on track with it was a revelation, it give lots of confidence!

Had a great time yesterday, thanks for all the tips guys.
That bike is a proper fekkin rocket. Wayyy beyond my capabilities. On my old RC8R, I could often get glimpses of the bike's limits, but the S1 is something else though. Didn't investigate slick or user, just kept it on race mode and spent the day bumping into my limits. Apart from a couple of UFO track bikes that I couldn't keep up with, it was faster than everyone else, and MUCH stoppier.
Oh ****. Just realised I'm now properly addicted.
H

You'll really appreciate the aids would be my guess, particularly Traction Control, Blipper, and slipper Clutch. I was very surprised about how easy they are round a track, just point in the right direction and hold on to be honest.
1. The Slipper Clutch feels completely transparent to me. Used with the blipper, you have an awesome combination that always seems to give you the amount of engine braking you need - there will be no surprises! The up/down really comes into play on track. Couldn't be without it now, it feels much safer and has been faultless. The only thing to watch for is dithering with your upchange going round the long righthander (Clark curve?). It can be quite a reach to pull the leaver up when cranked over. Always considered changing to race shift for this reason, but I'd probably confuse myself..
2. I normally go with 31psi Front and start with 28psi rear, but adjust the rear down in little steps if it tears or it's a hot day. I wouldn't go lower on the front though.
3. You'll probably see 150+ if you manange to get Clark curve right, I rarely do though. 56deg tops for me, but I did meet somebody at the 'Ring this summer who managed 65deg on road tryes, and had nearly lost their heroblobs as a result. Nuts really.
4. Nope. I always use race mode, I wouldn't bother going beyond unless you know what you're doing and are running into a limitation. That TC and ABS is awesome, why be without?
Good luck and report back how you find the S1, my first time on track with it was a revelation, it give lots of confidence!

Thanks Z. All really good advice. Didn't get a sniff of the slipper clutch, I DID see the DTC light a lot though which shows how much I'm using it. I'll hold off experimenting until I've done a few more trackdays on her. I nearly came-a-cropper on Clark Curve... went barrelling wayyyyyyyy too fast, bottled, braked and the bike just fekkin stopped (luckily no-one following behind). Checked undies, found my eyeballs which were rattling around inside my helmet and carried on, oops.
Couldn't believe what fun Surtees is on the GP layout (where you exit the Indy), 2nd gear hard over on the left, wheelie over the crest and away. This straight (Hawthorn Hill) was easily the fastest for me as the corner at the end is really fast, unlike Paddock Hill bend.
Uh oh. I'm turning into a track bore. Soz all.
Fantastic day, one of the best ever. WHAT an amazing bike.
Cheers,
H

ps. I was so occupied with all this new stuff that I realised during lunch (re-reading Z's post in fact), that I forgot to reduce the tyre pressures!
pps. Didn't touch my hero blobs, but lost a toe slider. Saw 47deg LHS and 53deg RHS, so not too shabby for a maiden. Still got a 10mm strip on the front LHS tyre. Everything else nicely scrubbed now.

Can you hear the dtc working?, I've been watching Michael kneeves testing the hp4 race and it sounds awesome, glad you enjoyed yourself, so no 17 year old supersport riders showing you a clean pair of heels then? You should consider racing.

Can you hear the dtc working?, I've been watching Michael kneeves testing the hp4 race and it sounds awesome, glad you enjoyed yourself, so no 17 year old supersport riders showing you a clean pair of heels then? You should consider racing.
Interesting. Is that what the noise is on the MCN HP4 video (I searched Michael Neeves HP4) in the opening sequence as he's going round a long left hander? Cutting the ignition? Sounds great. I didn't hear anything myself though. Even with plugs in I'd have heard that noise, but I do have a stock can.
Re-reading yesterdays post, I'm sounding a lot better than I was. Just another middle aged man having fun on 2 wheels, thats me. H

The HP4 race has ignition cut traction so it makes the noise, the standard s1000rr does not use this same method so does not make the same noise, the only way you will know its working is by feel and the light on the dash.

if you are using the bikes lap timer it will also tell you if its been triggered on the lap

Thanks Z. All really good advice. Didn't get a sniff of the slipper clutch, I DID see the DTC light a lot though which shows how much I'm using it. I'll hold off experimenting until I've done a few more trackdays on her. I nearly came-a-cropper on Clark Curve... went barrelling wayyyyyyyy too fast, bottled, braked and the bike just fekkin stopped (luckily no-one following behind). Checked undies, found my eyeballs which were rattling around inside my helmet and carried on, oops.
Couldn't believe what fun Surtees is on the GP layout (where you exit the Indy), 2nd gear hard over on the left, wheelie over the crest and away. This straight (Hawthorn Hill) was easily the fastest for me as the corner at the end is really fast, unlike Paddock Hill bend.
Uh oh. I'm turning into a track bore. Soz all.
Fantastic day, one of the best ever. WHAT an amazing bike.
Cheers,
H

ps. I was so occupied with all this new stuff that I realised during lunch (re-reading Z's post in fact), that I forgot to reduce the tyre pressures!
pps. Didn't touch my hero blobs, but lost a toe slider. Saw 47deg LHS and 53deg RHS, so not too shabby for a maiden. Still got a 10mm strip on the front LHS tyre. Everything else nicely scrubbed now.
Sounds like a lot of fun! The brakes are amazing, The DDC gives you extra support so the forks don't collapse which only adds to the confidence. I have seen someone stop on the straight due to a yellow flag before, and the inevitable shunt at speed from behind, not pretty! Surtees is excellent fun, I agree probably may favourite on the gp layout. Hawthorn under the bridge (always makes me duck down it seems so low) and round the back section I find tricky, never really manage to get it right. 53deg is well into knee down territory though,good work for a first on the s1. TC is great round paddock hill and coming out of the hairpin. No such thing as a track bore imo, can't get enough of it me ✌️

Interesting. Is that what the noise is on the MCN HP4 video (I searched Michael Neeves HP4) in the opening sequence as he's going round a long left hander? Cutting the ignition? Sounds great. I didn't hear anything myself though. Even with plugs in I'd have heard that noise, but I do have a stock can.
Re-reading yesterdays post, I'm sounding a lot better than I was. Just another middle aged man having fun on 2 wheels, thats me. H

As ekdg said, you wont hear it.... Next time you take it out, find yr favourite bend (longer the better) stick it in road mode with max tc (+7) and feed in the gas. At some point it ignores what you want and only gives you what the parameters allow until you start to stand the bike up, then it gives it back to you lol. Weird feeling until you get used to it and then start backing the tc off gradually.

Latest posts

Back