Another recall?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the BMW recall letter states the footrest could fall off, it's potentially not safe to ride. I'd expect the dealer will pick the bike up and return it FOC.

What were the years for the recall?

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

I haven't had the letter yet, but someone posted a copy of it dated 30th Oct 23 on Facebook. Other people posted that they knew about it too.

4d0e6c06b279556577ae05fb68da8714.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not riding the bike 30+ miles to the dealers, with footrest pin circlips missing. It would be more than inconvenient if a footrest detached, and I had an accident. Plus it's sorned for at least 4 months anyway. I would expect them to collect the bike FOC.

I would expect them to collect the bike FOC.

They have 2 levels of recall, and if the fault comes into 2nd category the dealer probably won't collect FOC. I found this out with the 21RR cam chain tensioner recall, 2nd category recall. apparently a performance bike with risk of cam chain snapping over 10k revs isn't a big enough issue..

According to https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/recall-lookup.html

Both my 20 (old shape) R and 21 RR have a recall with same code.

Looks like this is all footpegs as the RR doesn't have pillion pack. My 12 RR is clear

I've never managed to get that to work. It just tells me to see a retailer. I ran my Gen 2 from new until it was 4 years out of warranty. No chance I will keep my Gen 4 without a warranty on it.

They have 2 levels of recall, and if the fault comes into 2nd category the dealer probably won't collect FOC. I found this out with the 21RR cam chain tensioner recall, 2nd category recall. apparently a performance bike with risk of cam chain snapping over 10k revs isn't a big enough issue..

What category recall is potentially crashing because your footrest falls off? I put all my weight on the footrests while cornering.

My '23 is included in this. I will give them the parts from the box of spares :D

Last edited:
Don't... recall.. them using that terminology with me, if you'll excuse the pun. Sounds like what I called 2nd category, no FOC collection?

Just got my recall letter today for my K46 2018 Gen 3.

Not only do I expect them to collect my bike, but also bring an equivalent performance loan bike and additional loan bikes for all of my mates who want to ride out with me that day - even if they are at work, free fuel for us all too plus a ?1000 loaded debit card which we might use in any nearby gentleman's entertainment bar where private dances are given out by the scantily clad ladies what work there..... After all I've suffered this potential problem for the 16000 miles and 5 ? years of ownership!

Anyone think of anything else we should request or demand?

OMG I got a call back today. I HAVE to take the bike in (even though the rearsets are in a box) to get the replacement parts.

It's a corrosion issue, not sudden structural failure.

Last edited:
Just got my recall letter today for my K46 2018 Gen 3.

Not only do I expect them to collect my bike, but also bring an equivalent performance loan bike and additional loan bikes for all of my mates who want to ride out with me that day - even if they are at work, free fuel for us all too plus a ?1000 loaded debit card which we might use in any nearby gentleman's entertainment bar where private dances are given out by the scantily clad ladies what work there..... After all I've suffered this potential problem for the 16000 miles and 5 ? years of ownership!

Anyone think of anything else we should request or demand?

You would also be entiled to hand relief from a tech of your choosing. However apparently the Gen 3 is the best S1000RR that will ever be sold, and it never goes wrong. So unfortunately your claim for warranty and goodwill is declined.

I received the letter even though I traded the bike in a few months ago now, one thing I have found with BMW is they are piss poor at updating their records.

Mine were good at the time of trade in, I had removed one sometime ago and utilised it for fitting a GoPro camera with a makeshift mount. When I put it back together both sides were good.

Latest posts

Back