Alex - 2017 S1000RR - Grey/Black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chap called Andy Cope followed me on his Gixxer.
Whilst the speed down the straight is epic (Andy was a big lad) my awful body position, worst on right handers which needs serious attention. But when I'm on the bike it's easier said than done.

RST Leathers, Lorenzo Ghost Helmet.

edit: also, f**king traffic

Last edited:
It's your head more than anything else Alex. You cant get your body into the right position with your head central, needs to be somewhere out where your mirrors would be, looking for the apex/exit etc.

It's your head more than anything else Alex. You cant get your body into the right position with your head central, needs to be somewhere out where your mirrors would be, looking for the apex/exit etc.

Yeah I see that...from both vids. I need to lean forwards and get my head over the bar.
Andy C also suggested I was 'charging' the corners and not giving myself time to get settled into position, which I also agree with.
Lots to work on at Portimao but I have 4 days and tyres I trust to work with now. :)

This is also where core training will help.

I'm 100 years behind you guys in terms of cornering skills, but man - how that RR gets away on the straights :D

1 tooth down, 194RWHP and weighing at least 20kgs less than the other guy is a decent advantage - and clearly that's not enough for the rest of the track!

Chap called Andy Cope followed me on his Gixxer.
Whilst the speed down the straight is epic (Andy was a big lad) my awful body position, worst on right handers which needs serious attention. But when I'm on the bike it's easier said than done.

RST Leathers, Lorenzo Ghost Helmet.

edit: also, f**king traffic

You're getting out of the corners well Alex, re body position into corners, while I'm no expert your outside knee looks like it needs locking into the tank a bit more, as Andy says get your head further down towards the handlebar and get that inside leg pivoting around the footpeg with your knee loosely hanging down - wish I was there!!

You're getting out of the corners well Alex, re body position into corners, while I'm no expert your outside knee looks like it needs locking into the tank a bit more, as Andy says get your head further down towards the handlebar and get that inside leg pivoting around the footpeg with your knee loosely hanging down - wish I was there!!

I think there-in lies the issue - my weight always goes onto my right leg, this means I hold it inboard and effectively crouch on the right leg, I can't stick it out and do that so something has to change to make the knee 'available' to move. This puts weight through my ankles and knackers me. It's probably that I feel insecure relying on my left leg to hold me on. And that's down to peg position, knee/thigh placement, grip at contact points, leg and core strength. I am right handed/dominant so it makes sense that turning left I feel secure enough do the hanging off correctly.

Basically I need to do some roundabouts....

Alex, as you know I'm no athlete (!), if I can do it so can you, I think its in your head mate, give it a go :friendly_wink:

Alex, as you know I'm no athlete (!), if I can do it so can you, I think its in your head mate, give it a go :friendly_wink:

Yup - I need to test and become less insecure relying on my right...

But this proves that video playback can help understand one's issues.

Last edited:
Strange as it seems I find core strength is only useful when yr stationary. Try sitting on the bike on stands and hang off, I'll give you prob 10secs before you give up lol. When yr in a turn, centrifugal force + being in the right position keeps you on the bike with less effort.

I?m really glad to hear you had a great time in Spain [emoji4]

I?m no track pro, so this certainly isn?t gospel lol, but it might be worthwhile trying to sit back in the seat a couple inches or so?

Reason being is that I find when your nuts are welded to the tank, it is impossible to stick my knee out as the pelvis simply rotates around the tank (which is the opposite way needed to stick your knee out).
It also makes it impossible to securely hook your outside knee into the tank, and, for us taller riders, makes it impractical to get your upper body low and off to the appropriate side.

From the video footage, there appears to be a slight mismatch in your body positioning between left and right hand corners.
To me at least, you look far more planted on the bike round left hand corners, your pelvis appears more horizontal to the tank, you shift your but off less, and look more ?comfortable?.

You mention that your outside foot feel insecure in the peg, perhaps it would be worthwhile trying a slightly different rear-set position?

Re roundabouts, just make sure you keep the occasional eye in your mirrors ... I had a bike copper follow me for about a dozen loops round a roundabout years ago when I was trying (and failing miserably lol) to get me knee down on a roundabout! #naughty_course lol ...

Last edited:
^ Totally agree with the above, years ago I had a very very fast lady racer (bsb Honda) tell me to stick a fist between my balls and the tank. This was the space she recommended when braking and to set your body position well before the braking area, it felt slow and awkward but after some perseverance it was knee down every corner! Head position is a difficult one, if you look at the likes of the older riders like walker and Rutter, their heads seem to be like yours. You've certainly got the hang of giving it some beans from the apex though, good skills.

Jenny Tinmouth I expect.

Braking should be with the inside of the thigh against the tank (the leg which will be outside of the corner). This supports you under braking along with your arms.

Once at the corner, by braking with your lower body already set (butt cheek off) then you can just tip in and drop your upper body towards the bend.

I?ve watched enough Motovudu but something just hasn?t clicked on right handers and I?ve developed a bad habit to compensate. Undoing what is now ?normal? will be difficult but I think it is indeed going to start with hip position.

- Sent from Mobile

Got her home today. Last saw my bike in Portugal, early nov!

Quickly got her kit off (after a clean) and set about prepping for the new year.

Back to road clothes next but first I must inspect/clean everything.
Degrease the engine and all I can get at with the panels off.
Chain, done.
Air Filter, done.
I don?t have facility for an oil change so I?ll probably book in with a dealer for my yearly stamp and kill two birds.
Brakes, thorough clean, probably should bleed too, new pads (I thought I swapped out the OE?s but the replacements are still in the toolbox so I guess I had a memory fail)
Slicks to the bin, currently debating which set of tyres to fit. I have newish K3RR?s, newish Conti Sa3?s and a Michelin RS front which needs a rear...cheapest safest option right now would be the Conti?s, but damn that tread design is gash :)

Got a couple of new trick bits for the new year. Looking forward to popping those on. On the look out for one or two more bits to finish the road bike look.

1fd5ad1e0fdf7dccd7257bac4f91ee99.jpg

Managed to get my map data...
e20925ab0370b7f8922227937fd44c9f.jpg

e597128b7a979494b28fa7658e16ea00.jpg

Getting all the protection off the tank took a while, these bit clung on gamely.
aef2ac3a66a8f1dbe83214e19bdf04ca.jpg

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Oh and thats proper horse-box crap on the tyres, it stinks [emoji40]

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Nice to get her back Alex.
Would you use gaffer tape again to protect the tank or will you try something else next time?
It would be handy to know when I change mine over.

Back