A question about engine noise

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant

zoot-man
Reaction score
Whilst i was cleaning it i had it running after to help dry it off and when my head was down on the exhaust side with my ear next to the engine i could hear a rattly noise from the engine. when stood up near or next to the bike it can't be picked out from the general engine noise.

i'm thinking this is probably normal but was a little unexpected. with this in mind to get near 200hp from an engine i would expect a not completely smooth and crisp idle/engine noise.

im not overly worried about this but would like to know your thoughts

Have you guys/girls noticed this? other than taking it to a garage i think the best way would be a to hear a couple of others to find out which i will try and do

Whilst i was cleaning it i had it running after to help dry it off and when my head was down on the exhaust side with my ear next to the engine i could hear a rattly noise from the engine. when stood up near or next to the bike it can't be picked out from the general engine noise.

i'm thinking this is probably normal but was a little unexpected. with this in mind to get near 200hp from an engine i would expect a not completely smooth and crisp idle/engine noise.

im not overly worried about this but would like to know your thoughts

Have you guys/girls noticed this? other than taking it to a garage i think the best way would be a to hear a couple of others to find out which i will try and do

I wouldn't worry about it, doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Obviously if you are concerned take it to your local garage, they probably wont charge you if its just a listen to put your mind at rest.

As you mentioned they're not designed to idle, they're designed to run between 8-14000 rpm.

Does the noise get louder when the rpm is increased?

Thanks Stephen. i picked up the revs and bit of a blip (only slightly) and it neither one nor got worse. I'll see how it goes, unless i notice something off while riding its probably just something i need to get used to.

Agreed , they are generally a bit rattly, it's a bit off putting at first especially coming from the jap machines . You will get used to it. But if it gets louder or worse defo straight back to dealers .

Agreed , they are generally a bit rattly, it's a bit off putting at first especially coming from the jap machines . You will get used to it. But if it gets louder or worse defo straight back to dealers .

just come off a GSXR yesterday mate so thats my only comparison :scooter: just sense checking. cheers all

Last edited:
they are definitely more noisy that japanese bikes , had a k5 750 before the BMW , when I first had the beamer I was like holy shit that's tricky and tapy, you get used to it

Yes it's a rattley bit of kit, but then there's more moving parts in the Bm.

Engine Noise

The engine noise is normal but it can be a bit unsettling at first; particularly if your used to riding Japanese bikes.

Back