98dB track day experience at Donington

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've now got a full Akra system so am I wasting my time in booking a track day. My local track is Castle Coombe which I failed last year with just an Akra end can. I don't want to spend money and a day's travelling and a hotel just to get turned away again.

Noise Testing

You should be fine with a full Akrapovič system fitted providing you have the baffle inserted on any of the MSV owned circuits. I have the HP Race Power Kit fitted and I've not had any issues to date with noise testing. You will also have no issues at Rockingham where noise limits are higher. Personally I would avoid Castle Combe and Donington Park (quiet days) in order to avoid being turned away due to failing either their static or drive-by noise tests. Failing that there are plenty of fantastic tracks in Europe to visit.

My 1199 with Austin racing full system and mwr filter was ridiculous

I was riding near Castle Coombe race circuit today so I thought I would call in and get my bike noise tested. My last track day was a disaster as I was sent away. I've got a 2015 with full titanium Akrapovic. Last time I failed the noise test I didn't have a baffle in. I've now added a baffle and disappointment again as it still fails, registering 106 Deb at 11500 revs.

Castle Combe

I wouldn't even bother booking a trackday at Castle Combe if your bike has a full system fitted regardless of whether or not you have a baffle.

I've just received my joining instructions for a BMW track day at Snetterton which states noise test fail is 102db. However it doesn't say at what revs. Any of you know what revs they will test at. Should I be ok if mine is 106db at 11500rpm. Ive got a full Akra system. If needed to attend would the end can be a straight swap with the OEM which I've still got and would this make much of a noise difference.

Snetterton Noise Limits

For 2017 the noise limits for Snetterton are below.

Static: 102 dB at 5,500 rpm.
Drive-by: 92 dB.

Trackday Noise Limits

Ultimately if you want to do trackdays in the UK don't fit a loud exhaust.

Soon manufacturers are going to have to fit a Road spec and then supply a heavy duty track spec ffs.
(Though I appreciate EU4 dropped the stock volume somewhat).

Exhausts

You are unlikely to ever see that happen. Manufacturers will not be concerned with trackday noise limits which are largely country specific and most restrictive in the UK. Their primary concern is that their OEM exhaust systems meet Euro 4 compliance and not what owners choose to do with the motorcycle recreationally. There are plenty of aftermarket exhaust options out there that will easily meet UK trackday noise limits. The problem is that many people are obsessed with aesthetics and noise and a lot of the time those two requirements are not compatible if you want to use your bike on track. As for full race exhaust systems they are generally louder than OEM systems. What most people fail to realise is that the track noise limits for both club and national level racing, for which these exhausts are actually designed for, are a lot higher than the limits imposed on trackdays. Race exhaust systems from the likes of Arrow and Akrapovic et al are designed to meet these noise limits and not the lower trackday limits.

Re: Trackday Noise Limits

Yes I understand that now but it does take a certain amount of knowledge to make an informed decision. I bought an Akrapovic which BMW supply and also fit. It wasn't if i had gone out and bought an aggressive looking and sounding stubby can. I have the baffles fitted. I thought i was doing the right thing and being sensible with my choice. But in hindsight now and my experience i fully take on your point and will do more research before buying.
You say about don't fit a loud exhaust, when i failed the noise test there was a guy on a brand new R1 with stock everything. He failed at 108db. So if you own an R1 and want to do UK track days which I am sure many owners do then you have to spend money to change the exhaust.

If Im 106 at 11500rpm do you think I will be ok at 102db at 5500? Im not too worried about the ride by noise test as its a learning day.

Castle Combe

You have to take Castle Combe noise testing procedures in complete isolation from all the other UK circuits. It has the most restrictive noise testing regime and dB limits compared to anywhere else which is why most newer bikes fail with either the OEM or aftermarket exhausts fitted. It is also why most people completely avoid visiting the circuit in the first place for trackdays. For all other UK circuits (except Donington Park 98 dB days, which you should perhaps avoid with that particular system) I would advocate just fitting the baffle and see how you get on.

Akrapovič

As for Akrapovič full exhaust systems the official BMW version is the one that comes supplied with the HP Race Power Kit. It is different to the aftermarket Akrapovič exhaust system which features a tapered exhaust and is much louder.

Re: Akrapovič

Sorry to hear but those are some stupid low noise restriction levels. I think that if the bike passes the country noise levels it is strange to not be able to go in a TRACK!!!

Trackday Noise Limits

Unfortunately that's not how it works here in the UK. Like it or not, the noise restrictions are only in place to protect our circuits from closure.

Latest posts

Back