98dB track day experience at Donington

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pricey67

Reaction score
I was at Donington on a 98dB on Monday and was black flagged during my second session. I've got a 'road legal' Arrow slip-on end can but I was told that my auto-blipper was triggering the ride-by noise meter. I'm still not sure how this could happen as the noise meter is positioned on the underside of the bridge on the start finish line and well away from any part of the circuit where I'd be downshifting?!?!

Anyway, I was 'advised' not to use my quickshifter on down changes and I should be okay. As not to risk seeing my day end early, I chose to get a baffle fitted and when approaching the bridge keep to the RHS of the track and change up around 10,000rpm - as you're on circuit the ride-by noise equipment is positioned on the LHS of the bridge and is clearly visible from pit lane.

Ftr I continued to use my quickshifter on down changes and saw out the day.

I got black flagged on the HP4 last week at Snetterton for exceeding the drive by limit. I still have the baffle in ffs. When I went into pits the steward told me I had to change my exhaust to reduce the noise. I explained that the exhaust is stock, unmolested, and I've been to Snetterton several times with exactly the same bike and setup and never had a problem. He told me to do something with the exhaust or I can't go back out, so I rode up to the noise testing and had exactly the same conversation and was told exactly the same. So I asked the chap to 'look away' so I could make some mods (he was a bit more understanding), and a few seconds later he retested me (same static 97). He gave me another noise pass sticker and suggested I keep my revs down, so I short shifted around 9-10k the rest of the day and didn't get flagged again. Pita.

Good info for me next Sat. I've got the Akra system and baffle - pulls 96db static. I'll short shift the straight (as straight line speed isn't really an issue!!)

I got black flagged on the HP4 last week at Snetterton for exceeding the drive by limit. I still have the baffle in ffs. When I went into pits the steward told me I had to change my exhaust to reduce the noise. I explained that the exhaust is stock, unmolested, and I've been to Snetterton several times with exactly the same bike and setup and never had a problem. He told me to do something with the exhaust or I can't go back out, so I rode up to the noise testing and had exactly the same conversation and was told exactly the same. So I asked the chap to 'look away' so I could make some mods (he was a bit more understanding), and a few seconds later he retested me (same static 97). He gave me another noise pass sticker and suggested I keep my revs down, so I short shifted around 9-10k the rest of the day and didn't get flagged again. Pita.

I sometimes wonder about 'noise testing' on TD's and how accurate the circuits equipment is. I understand they have to abide by noise control legislation and appease the local authority (just look at Mallory) but to be just a single dB over and lose your track day seems harsh at best.

At least you'll be able to cane the R1 down the back straight without any noise worries Alex - they won't be black flagging those!!

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder about 'noise testing' on TD's and how accurate the circuits equipment is. I understand they have to abide by noise control legislation and appease the local authority (just look at Mallory) but to be just a single dB over and lose your track day seems harsh at best.

Apparently Snetterton has a new drive by noise mic with a camera system so the controller on pit lane gets a picture of you with the exact db value immediately via a monitor. I have never been black flagged for noise (or anything else) before and I wasn't the only rider to have unexpected sound issues that day.

At least you'll be able to cane the R1 down the back straight without any noise worries Alex - they won't be black flagging those!!

Cannot wait. :)
Just a bit gutted its session 2. I'd have preferred 3/4 to get myself up to speed.

Makes me think I'll not bother with UK trackdays any more, stick to Spain/Portugal/Italy they make us welcome there, and there are never any noise issues.

One exception is Anglesey, I never had any noise issue there either.

I will never do a 'quiet' UK trackday again, waste of time driving from Devon only to be turned away.

As has been said above, even with DB Killer in, these bikes make significant noise if the flapper valve has been removed, i.e. HP4 or any full system.

Bloody hell, can't believe people are getting pulled with standard cans on a BMW. One of my primary 'man maths' motives for having the BMW is so I can get onto tracks like Brands Hatch with lower noise limits. Donnington has actually been fine for me in the past on the Panigale, they have a very good noise lady there who understands the difference between static and drivethrough and what matters and what doesn't. The Panigale is very loud on a static but actually is often quieter than other bikes on drive by. It seems it's all being tightened up now? :(

Drive-by noise levels are weather dependent. The wind blowing the sound at the mic really does have an impact.
We had a lot of stoppages at Anglesey for that reason.

The problem is the local councils not the tracks. The councillors give into the the idiots who buy properties locally and complain about the noise. Nearly as bad as those that buy on flight paths and then complain. There's a reason your house was cheaper numb-nuts!

Royal, stock systems pass, usually...I'll do my best to test the driveby at Donington out and report back.

As a matter of law, it is no defence to a claim for private nuisance that the claimant 'came to the problem' - unless the claimant has failed to take action for 20 years. (Private nuisance is when an occupier's use of his own land causes nuisance to the occupiers of nearby land). Councils have to act in accordance with the law.

Was that saturday? I was ok on zx6r but two lads in the garage were black flagged, one on a panigale and one a 675, i've found msv to be strict in the past but not the others so much

Was that saturday? I was ok on zx6r but two lads in the garage were black flagged, one on a panigale and one a 675, i've found msv to be strict in the past but not the others so much

Monday the 9th - Road Bike day.

Is there anyway of doing a noise test apart from a track? Surely there is a small portable device available?

My pal was there last Thursday meant to b 104 db when he got ther they said no noise limit strange one

Donington have 98-108db days...crazy range but I guess there's some council agreement for a certain number of events a year. WSBK bikes are something like 115db this year due to a change in regs. They maybe louder than F1 now lol. Should make a great event for anyone going at the end of the month - I wanted to but am away :(

Donington have 98-108db days...crazy range but I guess there's some council agreement for a certain number of events a year. WSBK bikes are something like 115db this year due to a change in regs. They maybe louder than F1 now lol. Should make a great event for anyone going at the end of the month - I wanted to but am away :(
Oh yes they are loud!!! Shakey's panigale is possibly the loudest bike ive ever heard haha

Latest posts

Back