2019. Who fancies something like this...?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I discussed the following with some mates recently but there weren't enough of us to make it worthwhile, and they're all flaky GIXXERS anyway.

The proposition:

Hire a 7.5 tonne box truck with tail -lift for a week. Should fit 10 bikes (opinions welcome). Obviously will need a lot of good quality tie-down points inside. Find somewhere to park it for 4/5 days in Switzerland (rocroc might help us there). Fly out, have fun in Switzerland, Dolomites etc.. Then repeat in reverse order.

My guess of truck costs = ?400 hire + ?1000 fuel + ?600 ferry (total guess, opinions welcome), ie. 10 people = ?200 each. Beats the bike-shuttle. Also gives a bit of flexibility if the weather is shite.

The dumb way to do it would be a single pick-up location in the UK. More nuanced solutions include paying someone a decent amount to drive to a few pickup points around the country. The driver could be one of us who gets a few quid and free ride, or of course it could be anyone.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
Its a good idea. But pickup within reason...i think it would be better if we all dropped off.

I am looking to do some swiss touring, so am interested.

- Alex

You will find out just how difficult it is to organise something like this Hugh if you do attempt it.

Logistically very difficult, getting agreement from that many riders also very difficult.
Keeping the majority happy, impossible.

Take it from a solo long distance traveller, the only way to make a trip like that happen is keep numbers low.

Also ride there and back, you will make more memories and get treated to unexpected views and have an altogether better experience.

2a7b9dd74bff4a28ee9c8b4051cb631e.jpg

JimmyMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hertz hire van costs 200 a week. Can easily be parked at motorway gas stations in Germany near Munich.

Truck idea sounds overly complicated.
12919f0c97d89dfca615f906ebc15d50.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back