2017 baffle removal

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 2017 bad news or maybe good news

No because it's for sale. You can destroy yours and buy mine if you wish. Could have it cheap so that you can make it wider known for the BMW community.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reply from BMW. Sounds like they called a dealer!
Good afternoon Charlie

Thanks for your email about the S 1000 RR.

I've been in touch with a parts advisor at one of our BMW Motorrad Centres, who has confirmed that it won't be possible to remove the baffles from the exhaust on the 2017 S 1000 RR. I would recommend getting in touch with a parts advisor at your preferred BMW Motorrad Centre for more information on this.

Please click here to locate your preferred BMW Motorrad Centre ? Their contact details will also be displayed.

I hope this been helpful and please do get back in touch if you require any further assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been out on my 2017 today for the first time.
Initial thoughts:
Exhaust does not pop as much as previous model.
Engine seems smoother
Gear Change is smoother too
Suspension takes out the lumps and bumps on the road really well, although not sure that should have changed from the 15-16 model
One thing I did notice though, is no vibration through the handlebars at 4,000 rpm as I had on 16 bike
So all in all I would say so far the bike feels "more refined".

Last edited:

Yeehah
70247e1fa859f702fcfdb1356019a8ab.jpg

d0343acde0537683f15bb767fcf8683f.jpg

26f158f1447fdd21866a88ecc9a3ac9c.jpg

Need to go through the bigger weld
8509ef5026922c8a8da22fe9ddf9fa1f.jpg

Also had this made up to assist
89c0f0bca05b6b9ecc0fe50460ae8254.jpg

Baffles were around 50% of the length of the exhaust

Can conclusively say this is well worth doing. Deeper exhaust tone and a fair bit louder. Was surprised how much louder when I could hear it despite being Ina tunnel behind a cafe racer earlier

Hi Chuck. Did you use a dremmal to go through the welds? Cheers

Hi Chuck. Did you use a dremmal to go through the welds? Cheers

Hi. Yes. Meant to put that in the post!
Used the dremel and also a thin screwdriver to prise apart as difficult to see when you are through the weld.

Thanks. I'll tackle it this week. Just need a dremel!

Just Done this Persistence is key . Sounds how it should of , the baffles are stamped in serval places inside of exhaust which make it hard to slide out (Gentle persuasion) overcome this .

If anyone wants to come to Southend at a weekend will do it for them if they video so I can use as an instruction vid for YouTube.

Hi Chuck. I've got the top baffle out but cannot release the bottom baffle, so frustrating! Was the bottom baffle on yours harder to release? Cheers

They are centre punched in several places on the inside which will make it feel like forever keep going try pull from bottom of baffles too (creates a rocking effect)

Hi Chuck. I've got the top baffle out but cannot release the bottom baffle, so frustrating! Was the bottom baffle on yours harder to release? Cheers

Only marginally. The tool in my last pick sorts it! Make sure the weld is broken by sliding a small flathead screwdriver along the weld line.

Thanks guys. Top baffle came out relatively easily with an improvised pulling tool. I'm going to purchase a slide hammer to remove the bottom baffle (I don't need much persuasion to buy new tools!). The most annoying aspect of the job so far is that I dropped one of the screws down the exhaust...it's staring at me from the depths of the Cat...

Just remove the end can. Only 2 circlips and no gasket to worry about. 10 minute job. No prizes for guessing how I know !!!!

Just remove the end can. Only 2 circlips and no gasket to worry about. 10 minute job. No prizes for guessing how I know !!!!

Believe me I'm an expert in end can removal as well! That's how I can see it in the cat...hoping my ebay sourced grabber is on the mat waiting for me when I get home...

Thanks guys. Top baffle came out relatively easily with an improvised pulling tool. I'm going to purchase a slide hammer to remove the bottom baffle (I don't need much persuasion to buy new tools!). The most annoying aspect of the job so far is that I dropped one of the screws down the exhaust...it's staring at me from the depths of the Cat...

Take the DDC off and pop a wheelie... that will be out in no time :)

Indeed but then I would have to buy a screw, and I'm trying to save money (as the Beast is already making my wallet flinch) :culpability:

Latest posts

Back