2016 s1000rr sport or 2014 hp4 carbon

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firesrus

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new on here looking for some advise I'm currently chopping in my zx10 r 2012
fancy a s1000 rr but stuck on which one to buy do I go for the 2016 free sport with up down shifter thingy or the superb looking 2014 hp4 carbon they are the similar price is the new one any better ?
Thanks

Hi welcome to the forum, well that questions never been asked before! If you do a search you'll be able to read up on previous discussions, however, few people on here would dispute that the HP4 carbon is a beautiful and highly desirable bike that's held its value very well, its also fair to say that most people would also say that ultimately the gen 3 (2015-present) is the best overall S1000RR.

Thanks mac do you know if the electronic suspension needs to be re sprung if taking to the track or is it that good where it really does sort its self out regardless of riders weight ? I want the bike bike for road and the odd track day. And what makes the gen 3 bike so much better ? I'm guessing the hp4 will hold its value better also ?

Cheers

Briefly, the gen3 sport (which 95% are) has a roomier riding position, quicker reacting throttle response, autoblipper (once you've had one you wont go back) and cruise control. The HP4C has lightweight wheels (option on the gen3) and carbon bodywork. Both bikes have DDC active suspension although the set up is different between the two but certainly on the gen3 you'll find the ride over bumpy B roads incredible v you're ZX10. Re suspension set up, its always best to get a bespoke set up whatever bike you ride and no it won't compensate if you weigh 5 stone or 20 stone! But if you're an average bloke its pretty excellent straight out of the box.

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the forum.

The 3rd gen bike is technically superior to the HP4 and is a brilliant bike. Depends what you what and why. If you want the latest best tool in the box get the gen 3, its the best thing on sale. If you want something a bit special and is what it is, a race bike built in limited numbers by BMW to debut ddc suspension, a halo bike, then the hp4 is the one. Both are very capable machines. I do the odd trackday on my HP4 and don't have any bother with pace against the 3rd gen bikes (must be the cruise control weighing them down lol). Enjoy the dilemma.

Having had both sold both I have gone back to a HP4 Carbo, the HP4 is special, it comes fully loaded so no buying rear sets levers or full titanium system. The HP4 also had the titanium valve train internals for weight saving. The HP4 also has better quality paint finish.

Having said all this if my old gen 3 comes up for sale I will be buying back to use, keep the millage low on the HP4.

I'd like the hp4 carbon for its exclusivity and looks I don't do much riding on the road as I also have a ktm adventure the zx 10 has done more miles on the track than road that said I've only done 4 this year. I've also a 2014 Zx6r in the garage doing anything so I want to get shut of both to buy something a bit special hence the hp4 carbon
If you was to buy back your old gen3 would you be keeping the hp4 ?

Welcome to the forum!

There's nothing more I can add on the Gen 3 vs HP4c question.
I have a 15 Gen 3 and chose it over a HP4c because I personally wanted the full ride-by-wire throttle and all the other features the Gen 3 bike has over the HP4.
As Soofsayer says, it is a personal choice depending on what you want from the bike.
HP4's are certainly very special though, and one thing is for sure, whichever you choose you'll be ending up with an amazing bike!

Further to what MacRR says, it's definitely recommended to get a custom suspension set up for your weight and use etc.
The DDC is Dynamic Damping Control, so has no impact on spring preload and therefore things like ride height and appropriate spring rate still need to be accounted for as with conventional suspension.

Enjoy the forum, enjoy deciding between two amazing bikes, and I hope you have many happy miles ahead of you on board an SThou in the not too distant future :)

Oli

Hi mate welcome aboard and as Soof says...enjoy the Dilemma... whatever you buy you wont be dissapointed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes I would keep the HP4 whilst the price has leveleed out on them i cant see them going any lower, the millage on mine is below 4000, most for sale are double that millage so hopefully it will only go up in value.
I would use the Gen 3 for general riding and hopefully tackdays and use the HP4 less.
I'd like the hp4 carbon for its exclusivity and looks I don't do much riding on the road as I also have a ktm adventure the zx 10 has done more miles on the track than road that said I've only done 4 this year. I've also a 2014 Zx6r in the garage doing anything so I want to get shut of both to buy something a bit special hence the hp4 carbon
If you was to buy back your old gen3 would you be keeping the hp4 ?

Hi guys I'm new on here looking for some advise I'm currently chopping in my zx10 r 2012
fancy a s1000 rr but stuck on which one to buy do I go for the 2016 free sport with up down shifter thingy or the superb looking 2014 hp4 carbon they are the similar price is the new one any better ?
Thanks

Hi mate there is an 2014 Hp 4 in john clarks in aberdeen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back