2015 S1000rr back to BMW !!!!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

and rr ew

Reaction score
Would appear ive broke my bike !!! after 4300 miles
What started as a ticking noise on start up ( left hand side whilst sat on the bike ) after another 1000 miles has turned into a serious knock !!!
The vibrations are terrible, vibing thru foot pegs and seat,if the revs are held steady @ 4000k the clutch lever and handle bar vibrates so bad im unable to read the writing on the switches !!!
Its back at stealers but as yet no-one has looked at it !
anyone else have this happen ? speaking to the service manager, he's at a loss but wants to plug it in for any faults,however if its like a car unless the engine management light comes on there wont be any fault in memory or are bikes ecu's better than cars ?

As a by the by ive been given a gs1200 as a courtesy bike...........................NOT my cup of tea :sour:

I think the ECU when plugged in will give any faults without the engine management light being on, one my 2011 it showed a fault when plugged in as the exhaust servo had been disconnected yet nothing was shown on the dash.

5000rpm, that's around 80 revs per second so each piston rises and falls 80 times every second (just short of 240 per sec at 14000) Think I would vibrate jumping up and down at that speed :hurt:

There are orders of magnitude though, one man's slight buzz is anothers vibration.
Lets not assume the thread starter is incorrect in his belief that it's on the wrong end of the vibration scale.
The engine is not as smooth as a Jap I4. But I've not experienced a level where things become unreadable. So that could be a balance issue. It may be in tolerrance but an issue non the less.

There are orders of magnitude though, one man's slight buzz is anothers vibration.
Lets not assume the thread starter is incorrect in his belief that it's on the wrong end of the vibration scale.
The engine is not as smooth as a Jap I4. But I've not experienced a level where things become unreadable. So that could be a balance issue. It may be in tolerrance but an issue non the less.

My statement although correct was tongue in cheek ;) Yes it is an issue with the s1k, always has been. For me the enjoyment outweighs the problems and being mainly on the track I guess it's not so noticeable. If it's any help I have 'grip puppies' which I bought to make the grips bigger with a bonus of reducing the vibes.

Well they had the bike for a week ! Only plugged into computer last night and guess what ..
No faults found !! However the tech has agreed the vibration is excessive and is now being stripped.
will keep informed when I know, which I hope is soon.......why do people buy GS's ? They are hideous, sound like a tractor and quite frankly handles like one too !

Tbh if there was a problem with the big ends/little ends/Pistons/camchain/valve train I doubt it would show up on software anyway.

Well they had the bike for a week ! Only plugged into computer last night and guess what ..
No faults found !! However the tech has agreed the vibration is excessive and is now being stripped.
will keep informed when I know, which I hope is soon.......why do people buy GS's ? They are hideous, sound like a tractor and quite frankly handles like one too !

Hope you get it sorted quick.

GSs are a funny bunch. One very nice bloke I know, retired, won't go over 60 on his, ever, twisties are more like 25. A couple of years ago I followed a GS with pillion from Stokesley to Malton and I struggled to keep up at times, he was flying.

The variable intakes have been reset and a full reset on all systems have been carried out, all noises have gone and excessive vibrations have disappeared . ( although the usual 'vibs' are still there, but I can live with them ) strangely the Quickshifter didn't work when I first rode it from dealers by 20 miles it started working on up shifts and a further 20 miles the down shift started to work ????
Anyway all is good if anyone else gets the same problem you know what to do :sneakiness:

The story continues.......... Another 500 miles the vibrations are back just as bad and bikes is now making a distinct ticking noise.
back with BMW again, this time the guru's in Germany have told the dealers to loosen all the engine mounts and re torque them.
Think this is the last chance saloon if it doesn't sort the vibs, it's not fit for purpose and it's getting replaced !!

ahh mate hope u get it sorted asap! I only had mine 4 weeks and it's gone back with an ignition switch failure. Its been with then now nearly 3 weeks with no indication of when they will receive replacement parts?? BMW customer services told me today that the parts may not land until september!!! .....absolute joke.....i'm on the verge of ringing my credit card company and cancelling the purchase! .......I'm gonna give them a few more days to come up with a suitable solution and then i'm shopping for a new bike! ....and it won't be a BMW ...thoroughly pissed off! ....best of luck dude ;-)

Well the story continues
after another trip to the stealers , where BMW Germany had told them to loosen all the engine mountings
and re-torque them. This failed and after 4 weeks the decision was I needed a new engine ???
at first I agreed to this but after another week and no news about new engine, I basically lost the plot and have told them I'm returning the bike as it's not fit for purpose.
They then inform me that they are going to charge me 25p per mile "for wear and tear " I've done 4750 miles on the bike so I'm going get a bit of a kicking !!!
Ive told them that that is extortionate and I haven't seen anything in writing about such charges ?
ive contacted BMW financial services who said that the charge is set by the dealer
BMW have said its set by the finance dept
and the dealers have said its set by BMW
So who's lying ? And do I have to pay ?
Anyone else given their bikes back and had to pay ?

Go to trading standards
As Cally said.
Have everything itemised for your case ( dates/faults)
Have you written a letter of complaint to the dealer? Trading standards will ask you that so I'd do that before contacting them. I'd also state a date you wish to receive a reply by from the dealership which gives them a reasonable time to respond. Say 10 days?
If nothing resolved by then I'd go to TS (who I found very helpful) and who gave me the confidence to stand my ground and get what I wanted.
Good luck.

I had the same story regarding pence per mile to change. Think mine was 40 pence.
TS were fully behind me In agreeing I shouldn't pay anything. In the end I didn't have to involve them but the advice they gave me was excellent.
Every case is different but I'd be surprised if you were penalised for a faulty product.

Update :- Getting a new bike in motorsport colours at no cost to me, so made up and fingers crossed this one holds up !!!
just want to give a big thumbs up to Chester Motorad,the guys there great.

Latest posts

Back