2015 RR selecting neutral

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33fys

Reaction score
Hi guys, thought I'd ask - does anyone have issues selecting neutral coming to a set of traffic lights for example and stopping bike fully then trying to select neutral? Some times it's easier for me to go up to 2nd the down a tap to neutral. Weird coz the bike never used to behave like that. Seems ok to do it just before coming to a stop but still, it used to go into neutral no issues :-/

Check your chain tension.

Yes it's fine and has about 40/45mm free play with bike on side stand, according to BMW mechanic it's how it should be. Going by eye it looks slack, but that's what it says on the side of the swingarm for it to be too?

Certainly on the gen 1 and 2 bikes going into neutral from first is a bugger most of the time, dropping into neutral from second is much easier.

I found neutral from first difficult to achieve.
Started becoming the norm to pop it into neutral from second as you have found

How many miles have you done on it?

Certainly on the gen 1 and 2 bikes going into neutral from first is a bugger most of the time, dropping into neutral from second is much easier.

Yeah ive heard that dude. Maybe I'm just being OTT with it but don't remember it always being like that :-/

I found neutral from first difficult to achieve.
Started becoming the norm to pop it into neutral from second as you have found

How many miles have you done on it?

Yeah sometimes i just put it into neutral right before coming to a stop, it's easier that way. Might check clutch freeplay to see it that helps. People say only 1mm of free play from cold? Seems quite tight to me. My bike is away to turn 6k miles, probably today lol :)

My 2015 model does exactly the same thing. Its just another "quirk" (read: pain the ar5e) with these bikes...

I sometimes find I have to have a couple of goes getting it into neutral, but as an ex Aprilia RSV and KTM RC8 owner I really don't find it an issue!

Only done 650 miles on my 2015/16 bike but yes - neutral rarely pops up 1st go and more often than not I end up going upto 2nd and then down in to neutral. Not a big deal but a something of a "quirk" considering my previous ZX10 was always very positive 1st -> N.

When my 2016 was delivered, the sales guy actually made note to point out they were often difficult to get into neutral, and he said most of the time you'd need to go down from 2nd to get it in.

I've since played around with chain tension experimentally, but whatever I do, it's still 50/50 as to whether or not I'll find N first time around.

make sure you adjust the clutch when the engines cold. it alters a lot when hot and if you adjust out the play at the lever when hot the clutch levers not pulling in enough to disengage the clutch. you only want a couple of mm's of free play (when cold) too not the normal 5mm's or so.

Yup, my '15 isn't too bad finding neutral, but I don't like much slack in my clutch cable, so I've taken all but a smidgeon of freeplay out, makes neutral even easier.

Just remember to check the cable freeplay at both extremes of steering.

Latest posts

Back