2010 S1000RR will not start. šŸ˜¢

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitty

Reaction score
Hi gents. Had a long ride out the other day, parked up, 15 mins later was about to set off again. Put the key in the ignition and turned. Dash light came on and everything did as it should, until I pressed the start button. Absolutley nothing happened and can not work out why. Incidentally I also noticed that the power mode settings do not cycle through when the mode button is pressed. Anyone come across that before?

I think I've read these can have a side stand sensor/switch fault with the same symptoms you have described?

Hi gents. Had a long ride out the other day, parked up, 15 mins later was about to set off again. Put the key in the ignition and turned. Dash light came on and everything did as it should, until I pressed the start button. Absolutley nothing happened and can not work out why. Incidentally I also noticed that the power mode settings do not cycle through when the mode button is pressed. Anyone come across that before?

Switchgear faulty almost certainly. Cool it down with a damp cloth or something to get going again. BMW should change them FOC.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's a 2010 plate. The kick stands is a good shout but shouldn't make a difference on the beemer as the engine will only cut out when putting it in gear. The garage where I bought it came out with the van, had a look at it (with A1 eyeball) and said it's probably the switch gear, crappy plastic thing it is. You're right, BMW need to change that. It's all well and good putting plastic crap on the bike to make it lighter, but at least make it decent quality. Oh and, he took the bike away to get fixed, on warranty I might add. Phew! Was hoping to have my girl over this weekend though šŸ˜­

Last edited:
It's a common fault - they took years to get the replacements right, switching manufacturers in the process. The same switch gear was used on a lot of models. I expect they only have the good ones in stock now, so you should be sorted going forwards.

Latest update. The dealer called me today saying he's got good news and bad......The good news is they've found the problem. Yes, you guessed it, the switch gear and BMW are going to change it at no cost to me. The bad news is the earliest BMW can commence changing the parts is 26 August šŸ˜¢ Oh well, at least it will get better gear on it, just like you eluded to Alex šŸ˜Š

That's a tough break - TBH I thought they had lots of stock because it's been such an issue.

Yes, they probably have lots of stock; it is a long enough wait but I think it's just because they are so booked up šŸ˜©

Makes you wonder doesn't it? I don't mind that much at the moment, but I think I'll start feeling it next week and will want her back so bad! šŸ˜ƒ

its a long wait when the sun's out :( i had the same problem two weeks before i was riding the beemer down to lemans, luckilly they did it within a few days (and also lucky it didnt happen two weeks later while i was out there !) all sorted now tho. - mine's a 10 plate aswell and the sump plate had corroded enough to make the sump plug finger tight !!! so see if you can get them to check that too, as it was a fee 'good will gesture' to change it :)

Latest posts

Back