20 Quid Oil Change using B and M Carlube oil

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
So...rather than stick my bike in for it's second 6 thou service this year (Due now) just for it to lie in the garage for the next 6 months, because in around 4 weeks time that's likely what's going to happen up here in crappy weather Scotland, I bought some inexpensive Carlube 5W/40 Fully Synthetic oil and intend to change the oil tomorrow.

The reason is I would rather have my bike serviced ready to go at the start of next season via the dealer with premium grade oil etc (If that's indeed what they use..after all how are we to know their not sticking shit in it), but in the interim I want to do an O and F... this will see the bike thru the rest of the season and over the winter.

Tired of getting fucked over with premium brands I done a wee bit of homework on the manufacturer/distributor of the oil and was pleasantly surprised.

The distributor/blender is a company called Tetrosyl..more famous for the Car Plan and T Cut products, take a few minutes to look at their website... they have been in the game a long time.. I was quite impressed.

http://www.tetrosyl.com/

So I'm thinking that the 5/40 I picked up may not be a top flight oil in the pure Ester leagues but surely will be totally suitable for a late season oil change.... whats anyones views on this ?20160826_201951.jpg20160826_222847 (1).jpg
Stuart

Attachments

• 20160826_222847.jpg
    20160826_222847.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Its your call Stuart, but I sure as shit wouldn't be sticking cheap oil in a ?20k bike. You can get Castrol Power 1 for ?33 on the net if you look for it and a free filter to get you over winter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-1000-...061162?hash=item1ea75f532a:g:N2oAAOSwlV9WT0C8

I always think "buy cheap, buy twice". Although its nice to get quality for a cheap price, if you follow.

Driving gloves and reading glasses?????? Do you turn into "Driving Miss Daisy" over the winter. LOL

JimmyMac

I'm losing it...glasses and a steering wheel glove...and cheap oil...ano usually use Castrol Jimmy.... hmmmmmm decent oil is 45 quid... not sure you can get 5w 40 for 33...10w 40 but not 5w 40...as far as I can see...wi my glesses on lol

Dear Stu's Bike.

We apologise for his indiscretion in buying CAR oil for you... he will correct this shortly.

I might be wrong but motorcycle engine oil is very different to car engine oil, re - the wet clutch ??

Yeah... I just think these fuckers try to scare everyone with their advertising... it's the 19p Co Op paracetemol V ?2.19 Nurofen argument that Nurofen have had their arse kicked over..... does the same thing...anyhow, mibe better safe than sorry.... see... that advertising !

In all seriousness - the specification for the Carlube oil is CAR specific. There is no mention of Wet Clutches in the specs.

The Carlube oil that would be for bikes is; http://www.carlube.co.uk/4-stroke/carlube-4-stroke-fully-synthetic-motorcycle-oil and it's the wrong grade at 10w40.
This specific Carlube oil manages these bike standards unlike what you bought;

• API SL/SM
  • JASO MA2

Motul 300V which I have been using; http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-909-mot...-race-bikes-fully-synthetic-double-ester.aspx
This stuff gives me a warm fuzzy feeling from statements like;
  • Reference team Alstare World SuperBike
  • Extra engine power up to 3% : Double Ester technology. Tribologic tests performed put in evidence low traction coefficient of chosen polymer and complex Esters. Low traction coefficient reduces engine internal friction and then increase power output.
  • Engine protection : 0% shear loss on Bosch test ASTM D6278
  • Gearbox protection : shear resistance improved by 66% on KRL 20 hours tests (CEC L-45-A-99) ? test originally set up for gearbox lubricants, 10 times more severe than Bosch test.
  • Extra power at the rear wheel : Wet clutch lock up improvement.

Edit: and in the time I've researched it I see a number have agreed!

Last edited:
Like alex i use motul 300v.
I had my engine on my r1 refreshed last winter by an r1 "guru" he is a top engine builder and has built engines up and down most paddocks. Whilst stripping it down we got onto the subject of oil and he fully endorses 300v as the best oil your engine can get .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

08b66179fc3bb23b593eded1861e330f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So.. kinda came to my senses took that cheap oil back to the shop. Then decided as its not a bad day Ill jump up to Glasgow and get some 5/40.. no chance ! Went into J and S, Ducati and Infinity ? (New place)....none... called Mickey Oates none...BMW EK Parts dept shut Halfords despite adevertising Castrol 1 none in stock ANYWHERE ... think someones going like "Just get it into the dealers ya big dafty" ?

Stuart

Oil & Filter

I'm currently using Castrol Power 1 Racing 5W-40 and I change it every 2-3 trackdays. I've been ordering from Opie Oils recently as their prices are quite competitive. As for oil filters I'm just using replacement OEM filters from BMW.

Latest posts

Back