Shift assist issues

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toan the Moan

Reaction score
When using it in anger the flat shift doesn't work on my 2010 s1000rr seems fine upto fourth but not fifth or 6th . I have shortened gearing -2 front std 44 rear . The engine appears to cut but it will not shift up, this is when I am going round the race circuit .It appears to be getting worse is it a gear box issue
Any help would be appreciated

Has been an issue since I became more comfortable with the bike even with std gearing . It does cut the engine just won't shift I have flipped the shifter to GP style . It seems load related it shifts if I'm not on full power / throttle

The qs has to learn each gear, I'm assuming this is so it knows how long it has to kill the ignition for in any given gear/speed. Might be worth trying a reset.

I'll try that is it 10 secs in each gear ? Do I need to power down the bike ?

You need to run the bike for ten seconds in each gear, I use a diagnostic tool to perform the reset but as far as I recall the system will 'forget' if you disconnect the battery for a while

You need to run the bike for ten seconds in each gear, I use a diagnostic tool to perform the reset but as far as I recall the system will 'forget' if you disconnect the battery for a while
Any idea how long is a while. I am old and I often forget things after a while too but that can be minutes these days lol

No idea haha, take it off for 20mins? You'll know it's reset because the qs will not work until you have completed 10 seconds in each gear

Thanks for the help Stephen reset done will see how it performs next outing . I may have to revert to the old fashioned way of changing gear if I can remember how lol

Apologies if you're already all over this but when you're in there replacing the spring look for excessive wear on the star shifter that the detent spring engages with, good idea while it's opened up.

I replaced mine on my HP4 recently after it started leaving me in false neutrals between 5th and 6th on track.

You don't have to drop the oil either so save some pennies.

Have some tips for you if needed, only because I replaced mine wrong first time round! Simple job.

I won't go into the fact I'm convinced the new replacement part from BMW is the same thickness as the Alpha spring and not as thin as the spring that was in there from the factory!

So what convinced you the replacement OE part is thicker and how much is the OE spring and star shifter

Can't remember, you can't buy it separately as it comes as a set of parts that include the spring, collar and replacement torx bolt. Call to dealer will give you a price I'm sure.

I'll leave you to it.

Gauge of the wire, didn't replace the star shifter as no wear!

This makes sense as if you look at the part on the Alpha site it says the 2015+ uses the same gauge of wire, so the Alpha part fits the 2015+ but offers no improvement

- Sent from Mobile

Update:- The part number for the early model has been superseded and is now the same as the 2015 model and is 27 pounds plus post, 7 to 10 days from Germany.
They are unaware of any gear selection issues on the early models which surprised me somewhat.
I have ordered the part that appears to be the spring but it is listed as a locking lever from Rainbow who were very helpful.
I'll update when it lands and it turns out to be a locking lever for the rear seat lol

When I bought my kit I got a spring, locking lever and washer/ collar.

I'm glad that's cleared up what I suspected, bloody typical after I'd bought the Alpha spring.

Glad you're sorted.

Not sorted yet and thanks for the info hopefully when it arrives and I've installed it it will cure my shift issues . It's no fun quick shifting into 5th at 13k and finding it's still in fourth

So did you buy the genuine lever and an alpha uprated spring then

Back