KTM 1290 Superduke R

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacRR

Reaction score
Took a KTM 1290 Superduke R out for a 1 hour spin with the missus today, been thinking about selling my GSA so wanted to see a) how good it was and b) how comfortable and pillion friendly so not a beserk test ride but got a good feel for it nonetheless. Happily our local KTM dealer is very close to come of my favourite local A and B roads so I had the chance to give it a proper blat despite her indoors on the back. First slight surprise was that the bike was completely standard so no optional Q/S / autoblipper activated and no track mode with the crucial 'anti wheelie off' present - although listed as factory optional extras costing a good few hundred quid it turns out that its just a case of the dealer downloading the appropriate software after the first service which I thought was bordering on being a bit of a rip off. Nonetheless the appealing thing with this bike is that you can spec it very similarly to an S1K ie in addition to the electronics it comes with std cruise plus optional heated grips, comfort seats, carbon bits and so on, which ticks a lot of boxes for me.
Onto the bike, a 49 mile example fitted with familiar Metzeler M7RR's, straightaway the riding position feels right, nice and comfortable, straight bars, decent leg room, although the gearshift was a bit close to the left peg for my size 11 TCX's but that can be adjusted out. No initial complaints from my passenger so off we go, like most sports bikes there's no grab rail fitted (I have one on the S1K) so I've got the Oxford 'love handle' belt on which while not perfect does the job.
First roll off of the throttle see's the missus piling into the back of me, forgot how much engine braking big V twins have so a bit of right wrist moderation required when slowing down! After a few miles we arrive at Bourne where the real fun can begin, so far the bike's proved to be very docile, giving the throttle a bit of a handful sees decent, torquey progress but despite the claimed 177 bhp the huge rush you get with an S1000RR, or indeed a 1299s isn't there, I'm sure if I'd been on my own it would have been more evident but despite appearances this isn't a violent beast of a bike. Of course the other thing to mention at this stage is that obviously there is no fairing, the last unfaired bike I rode was a mates Z1000J back in 1990(!) but despite the unfamiliarity I found it comfortable enough up to 90mph which is generally enough.
Onto some fast B roads and I'm instantly impressed with the supple WP set up, fantastic flickability and accurate steering, despite being two up we're absolutely tonking along, blasting past a Harley riding local between a couple of corners and despite the brand new tyres getting some decent lean on. I thought I might find the front end a bit vague being fairing less but I'd go as far as saying that on this particular road I'm finding it a better set up than my S1K, very impressive and very easy to get on with although I am finding using the clutch up and down the box a pain - amazing how quickly you get used to new tech isn't it? We pull into a pub car park for a quick chat and photo before turning back to do it all over again.. From a pillion point of view, there's a tick for seat comfort and leg room, although the seat isn't quite perched as high as my BMW so the view from the back isn't so good but this is improved with the optional comfort seat set up.
Back at the dealers and I'm quite taken with it, no its not as fast as an S1K and although miles better than an early RC8 I once owned still retains that slightly agricultural KTM feel versus BMW's 4 cylinder polish although it's way smoother than my liquid cooled GSA. I thought the engine would define the bike but its the fun and capable handling and comfort that has made the biggest impression on me. The question is can I justify one of these so go touring on (cough!) and an S1000RR, hmm!

Great review Mac, glad you both enjoyed it! [emoji4]

I test rode a 1290 1.0 last year and it is indeed very comfortable

Buy one u won't regret it. But don't get ride of the BMW. I found the ktm to be better than the BMW in many ways and the speed being one of them that's without going into the sound of it with a decent exhaust.they are so much fun and if u turn the traction off u need to be ready to hold on! That's some of the reasons why I bought on but couldn't sell the s1000rr!

Buy one u won't regret it. But don't get ride of the BMW. I found the ktm to be better than the BMW in many ways and the speed being one of them that's without going into the sound of it with a decent exhaust.they are so much fun and if u turn the traction off u need to be ready to hold on! That's some of the reasons why I bought on but couldn't sell the s1000rr!

Very tempted Chris, trouble is I can see if I get one the S1K won't get ridden much, how are you geting on with having both? Re exhaust, yes the std can is very quiet, not sure if the usual options like Pipe Werx etc will still fit / work with the Euro 4 gubbins on. What you got fitted to yours?

Yes, but no as it has no autoblipper option, which is a must have for me nowadays, and it's looks and drab colours do nothing for me either

I bought the 2016 se model when it was reduced so it had the Akra exhaust already fitted, but I put a decat on it with a pc5 and had it dynoed. It sounds amazing. I tend to use the Ktm mainly on the road through the week to get to work and evening ride outs which is more comfy than the bm and use the bm for bigger weekend rides and the track.they are both brilliant bikes but completely different which is why I think they go very well together, it just depends what mood I'm in to which I take out.

Good write - I have a test ride arranged for Saturday 16th September, considering PX my S1000RR... Just want to try something a little different.

Ahh an SP1...would be in my dream garage collection way before the 916-998 dukes.

Those KTM?s are serious bits of kit on the road, hope you love it as they are big investment.

- Sent from Mobile

M
The deal has been done, my 2017 Gt will be delivered in early 2018. Its got a quick shifter (up only), the engine reminds me of my SP1 in 2000 but with more hp.

Nice one Phil, let us all know how you get on with it once you got some miles under your belt.

Nice one Phil, let us all know how you get on with it once you got some miles under your belt.

Will do Mac, I reckon I will only need to scrub the tyres in then get straight on it.
I think my only gripe (at the moment) is the suspension, it has semi active WP suspension. It feels a little on the hard side, the front has not much feel even on the softest setting. I have my RR a bit loose if you know what I mean, it moves around a lot but I can feel exactly what is going on. I asked the dealer if the Sus parametres can be changed, a big FAT NO was the reply. I think it will be fine, I ride around the crap susension on my 2011 40k 1050 tiger.

Ahh an SP1...would be in my dream garage collection way before the 916-998 dukes.

Those KTM’s are serious bits of kit on the road, hope you love it as they are big investment.

- Sent from Mobile
I really looking forward to getting the KTM, Mrs Phil will be pleased I ordered the heated rear seat..

You will see me on it in the spring if you can come on another Essex rideout.

Latest posts

Back