Fitting carbon frame covers.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Japcati

Reaction score
Lads,how did yous all fit your carbon frame/swingarm covers.

My Ilmberger frame/swingarm covers have 3M double sided tape on the insides of them.
They came with no fitting instructions though.

Do you need to use silicone sealant to stick them down aswell?
Dont want them falling off after a week or 2.

Thanks.

I used silicone for my frame and swing arm covers and they haven't budged.

Did you run a constant bead of silicon around the inside of the frame covers?

Or did you just dab some on here and there?

Dont want to feck up things ion my bike,so thought I ask how others did their bikes.

Thinking of these for my bike now, pictures welcome guys?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

i fit the jap4 carbon on my missis bike, fit quite well and used just a few blobs of silicon. i then used black silicone around the holes to stop water getting in and to tidy up the edges.

I have the fullsix carbon swing arm and frame covers. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up. The carbon is really good quality and the weave is the same as ilmberger. If you are a premier member conquest carbon will do you a good discount if you check out their premier members vendor section :).

I ran beads of silicone around the covers and left some gaps on the lower points. If you run a bead all the way round in a continuous line it's fine, unless water gets in, which it might. You don't want water sitting inbetween the frame and the cover so I recommend leaving some gaps at the bottom of each cover for any water to escape/evaporate if it does get in. The silicone is not permanent and doesn't mark the metal, so it will come off the bike if you remove the covers in the future (at least I hope so).

I tried cable ties but could not get them good enough, I think it might be easier with race fairings? The only thought I had about not using cable ties is that they will snap/perish very quickly in a slide so I'm not convinced.

Last edited:
alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors

I have them fitted to my BMW. When you fit them remove the fairings and make sure that the frame is clean before applying silicone adhesive. It's also worth tie wrapping the carbon fibre frame protectors in place and leaving for 24 hrs to ensure that they remain firmly fixed in position. They are well worth fitting as they saved my frame from any damage following a crash on track last season.

P1070059_zps1spkcubi.jpg

P1070061_zpsddqpyxlz.jpg

Thanks folks for the advice and pics.
Any particular type of silicone or should I use that black body panel stuff that you get in the motor factors?

Those pictures were taken in Jan 16 prior to the bike being converted for track use only.

Re: alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors

I have them fitted to my BMW. When you fit them remove the fairings and make sure that the frame is clean before applying silicone adhesive. It's also worth tie wrapping the carbon fibre frame protectors in place and leaving for 24 hrs to ensure that they remain firmly fixed in position. They are well worth fitting as they saved my frame from any damage following a crash on track last season.

P1070059_zps1spkcubi.jpg

P1070061_zpsddqpyxlz.jpg
What year is your bike,?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Re: alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors

Those pictures were taken in Jan 16 prior to the bike being converted for track use only.

So what were the frame covers like after the crash? Did you replace them?

So what were the frame covers like after the crash? Did you replace them?

They are absolutely fine save a few scratches where the protector goes over the right-hand frame spar. Other than that there are no cracks and they remained firmly fixed to the frame.

Frame Protectors

I completely agree although insurance companies do have a tendency to write off bikes if there is either aesthetic or structural damage to the frame. I certainly wouldn't hesitate about fitting a set to a bike especially if it's being used on track.

To be fair, the frame is unlikely to get damaged, they really just save gravel rash

Agreed. Fitted frame and swing arm covers for exactly that after an excursion at Donnington that left me sat in a foot of kitty litter (thankfully still upright and no scratches to be found anywhere somehow).

Back