what tyres when new?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian7

Reaction score
just been into my local dealers to look at the new bike and colour schemes close up.he had all 4 different colour schemes in there but odly there was 3 different makesof tyre on the bikes!
m/sport-metzeler k3
red/white-continental
blue and black-bridgestone battlax.
why would this be?
i asked the dealer and he didnt seem to have a decent answer!
so anybody that brought a brand new bike,what tyres did it come with?
also,whats the differenc between the 3 types?
sorry,can't reemember the name of the continental.

They have always come with those 3 different tyres. Seems like pot luck which you get.

I read a bit on this, what i saw said that BMW wouldn't commit to one manufacturer because if the tyre peeps had a problem they wouldn't want to slow down deliveries 'cause of them, therefore use a variety of manufacturers to avoid the issue.
Sounds plausable, if not a little cautious

In my opinion they are as follows

Metzeler K3's- outright sports tyre- excellent on road and track
Continental attack- good sports touring - ok for road not good for track
Bridgestone battlax- sports tyre- excellent on road and good enough for most on track

This is only my opinion and I'm no expert

First one came on Metzelers (2010), the second on Contis (2011). The way BMW were churning them out it would make sense there would be supply chain issues. I remember when the 916 came out and they had promblems making enough rear wheels so some came with 190 rears and some with 180s. I had a KTM 950 Adventure when they first came out there was a shortage of front tires and due to the speed rating and size there was only one tyre available.

unionjack link=topic=455.msg3893#msg3893 date=1328385236 said:
First one came on Metzelers (2010), the second on Contis (2011). The way BMW were churning them out it would make sense there would be supply chain issues. I remember when the 916 came out and they had promblems making enough rear wheels so some came with 190 rears and some with 180s. I had a KTM 950 Adventure when they first came out there was a shortage of front tires and due to the speed rating and size there was only one tyre available.
I used to have a 916 which had a 190 rear but i ran a 180 on it (no probs) and it turned in sooooo much better at slow speeds. Been reading about The Panigale today - 200sec rear, won't be cheap!

200 rear thats going to hurt. I had a 996 biposto briefly came with a 190 but I took the advise and ran a 180 which was much sweeter. Did nothing for my wrists though.

unionjack link=topic=455.msg3893#msg3893 date=1328385236 said:

My April 2011 had Metzelers fitted. Nice tyres, don't last long (even for me) and expensive

Motorcycle manufacturers buy their tyres in rather large batches and fit them at random as the bikes come out of the factory. It is more economical and also eases any supply chain problems to buy in 'bulk'. This is why you will see a different selection of tyres on the same model in the same showroom.

Hedge

I was chatting with the dealer about the tyres yesterday... his view is that the Conti's are the most popular but wouldn't perform the best in this weather i.e. with the roads so cold.

Any views on this?

??? Is he sure. Me thinks all the 2012s are coming with the Klonkis and he's just trying to soften the blow.

Well, there were Conti's on the black one I was playing about with and something else on the blue one next to it.

Hanna link=topic=455.msg4485#msg4485 date=1329418395 said:
I was chatting with the dealer about the tyres yesterday... his view is that the Conti's are the most popular but wouldn't perform the best in this weather i.e. with the roads so cold.

Any views on this?
Might be popular in his part of the woods but out here in the Jungle I reckon he would be out voted. K3's or Pirelli's for me..

I think the 2012 will still be supplied with a mix of the K3's, Conti's and Bridgestones

So far the S1000 has come with 3 different tyres. Opinions on tyres are a bit like a$$holes.
However most people would agree that the best are the K3's then the Bridgestones, and not closely followed by the Conti's

I agree with godzilla
the main reason an OEM would dual source is always price along with supply chain issues.
Well thats what they tell me
I am going to Digolfing (BMW headquarters) next week to look at the new Rolls Royce , I;ll ask the em WTF is it with all these tires ? ;)

get my S thou on tuesday and cant wait, bit gutted to find its come with the conti sport attacks 2's and not the k3's. Just how much of an issue are they for track and fast road??

poxy bugger gaz :p keep trying to convince myself BMW wouldnt use conti's if they were'nt up to the job, but i'll have to give them a go and see how they feel......can see me folking out for some new rubber before these have been scrubbed!! :'( still, new bike on its way so ill keep focused on that gem ;D

Latest posts

Back