You're Rusted!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huge

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Tail tidy screws rusted solid. Gonna buy 2 nice new SS ones.
How best to get the old ones out?
If it's drilling, any tips?
-
Photo 22-06-2017, 19 23 48.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Tried WD40 and various combo's including even 2 mole grips.
The head is a very shallow dome with a hex hole that's rusted to buggery.
I can't think of anything else but to drill it out.

Last edited:
That actually looks like a stainless steel bolt. Have you a wee magnet you could test it with. Strong magnetic attraction = steel. Weak or no attraction = stainless steel. Regardless, loads of WD 40 to start with!

WD40 then, cut a line/trench into it with a saw/dremmel.
Get a wide flat bladed screw driver, should be able to get enough torque into the thing to undo/snap.

WD40 then, cut a line/trench into it with a saw/dremmel. Get a wide flat bladed screw driver, should be able to get enough torque into the thing to undo/snap.
-
Good idea Alex, hadn't thought of that.
Now then, where's me toolbox...

Last edited:
The other option is to try and hammer in a slightly bigger Allen Key, like an imperial sized.

Or if you have the time, find a bit of metal, thick guage wire for example , and super glue it to the hole in the dome head....let it set overnight, then twist it out.

WD40 then, cut a line/trench into it with a saw/dremmel.
Get a wide flat bladed screw driver, should be able to get enough torque into the thing to undo/snap.

This is the best so far, it would be my first line of attack, if it fails then the head will nearly be off anyway.

JimmyMac

Lol. Turned out the hamster was somewhere else entirely the whole time. Found it next time I took a sh*te.
-
TBH, my last reply might have been a bit salty, given that I've yet to meet Alex (or indeed any of you)...:nightmare:

I wouldnt worry hugh, alex has been associated with hamsters before I believe. Jimmy is clearly upping the game with a bit of bondage. I put it down to isolation madness brought on by the neverending snow. :)

Gagged hamster?

4acf5b9c7454ad64e22802ac7488ab52.jpg

Gagged hamsters tell no lies.........

Hugh, were all friends here, just remember that when its your turn in the barrel.

JimmyMac

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back