Wont start

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arg

Reaction score
Went out yesterday morning, did 50 miles, no issues. Last night, washed it, then tried to start it and it didn't turn over. Then the alarm went off. Further investigation revealed that non of the buttons on the right hand switchgear worked, plus the alarm didn't seem to be connected to the ignition switch anymore. Question, has anyone experienced this and/or does anyone know how the switchgear comes apart. Tried a small pozy driver and a small torx in the small holes underneath without success.

Water ingress in plug in the switch gear had the same on mine I used a good electrical contact cleaner has done the trick
Just need to be more careful when cleaning not to get the switches wet
Hope this helps

Mike

So does this mean they don't work in the rain? Had a GSXR1000 before this, did 35000 miles over 6 years without an issue, crappy BMW, cannot see me keeping this much longer.

I had cbr1000rr before mine 6 years and didn't miss a beat
Had this 12 months and never been out in the rain only gets
Wet when I clean it .so not looking good for a long term bike
Shame fast thou

Mike

mines worked in the pissing rain for 3 years , its clearly a weak point , along with the gixer thou snapped frame debacle and the honda oilburning fireblade fracas.
Its impressive if you didnt have to take the bike for any recalls
We all moan when are bikes fuck up due to manufacturing short cuts or cost opportunities.
Does make you laugh when people say my 1998 R1 didnt have any of these issues????????
50 horse less , no ABS,DTC , slipper clutch , any electronics to speak of and I simply can't understand why nothing much went wrong with it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Had my right switchgear replaced on my 2011 last Tuesday, as I had intermittent starting problems, particularly in the heat. The dealer (Clarks of Rednal) said that the cheap/thin circuit board had cracked. It meant I had to shell out £160 for it, but as it's just out of warranty, they immediately (without me asking) put in a claim to BMW for me - not sure if I'll get a refund???

mines worked in the pissing rain for 3 years , its clearly a weak point , along with the gixer thou snapped frame debacle and the honda oilburning fireblade fracas.
Its impressive if you didnt have to take the bike for any recalls
We all moan when are bikes fuck up due to manufacturing short cuts or cost opportunities.
Does make you laugh when people say my 1998 R1 didnt have any of these issues????????
50 horse less , no ABS,DTC , slipper clutch , any electronics to speak of and I simply can't understand why nothing much went wrong with it !!!!!!!!!!!!

My 1998 R1 went through 2 gearboxes and an engine. And don't even get me started on clutches!

Just to follow up on my previous post - the dealer (Clarks Rednal) just called me to confirm that the refund for my new starter switch has been approved by BMW. So instead of £160, it'll cost me just the £15 fitting fee :lemo:

Latest posts

Back