Wilbers DDC Suspension Fitting

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpuss

Reaction score
Hoping after all this time, last post I can find is 2015, that someone has had their DDC modified by Wilbers to retain full functionality and take advantage of their upgrades that remove the stock fork and rear shock issues.

Anyone had it done and got any feedback?

Thanks for the help.

Remove stock Fork and Shock issues?

Please enlighten us!

- Sent from a magical lightbox

What are the issues you are wanting to improve on the stock suspension?

I'm well over 100kg fully kitted so giving everything a hard time before giving the shock and forks even more to cope with on track so I know I'm undersprung which means I'm relying on adding a lot of comp to mask this which is losing me some feel, especially at the front, that I'm used to with non DDC suspension.

Before the track season starts I'm re-springing both ends and wanted to know if anyone has used the wilbers stuff as once forks and shock are off the bike I may as well go the whloe hog with the new wilbers shock top and internal changes that improve damping quality etc.

Simple question to see if anyone has used Wilbers that was all, I'm happy with the MCT, K-Tech etc routes as I've used these before on all my bikes so thought I'd ask about something I have no experience of that was all.

I shan't use the word issues again............

Don?t get hung up about the ?issues? comment, it?s all in good fun [emoji4]

Re suspension, personally I would recommend you visit MCT suspension and discuss things with Daren. The first priority has to be sorting out correct spring rates for your weight, application and ability, then if further work is needed this could be addressed at a later date.

Perhaps @RyS1000RR can shed some light on the Wimbers kit?
Alex, Soofsayer and Ryan have MCT setups with the 2D potentiometer, so they can certainly give experience in this regard.

Whatever you decide I hope you are happy with your suspension setup for the upcoming track riding season [emoji4]

Last edited:
I'm well over 100kg fully kitted so giving everything a hard time before giving the shock and forks even more to cope with on track so I know I'm undersprung which means I'm relying on adding a lot of comp to mask this which is losing me some feel, especially at the front, that I'm used to with non DDC suspension.

I shan't use the word issues again............

I understand your issue now lol. I havent come across anyone trying wilbers hardware on the rr but that doesnt mean it wont help. KRG (Kyle on here) does suspension and is not pint sized so maybe he can offer some experience in addition to MCT?

Well I didn?t mean to offend you, I just read what you wrote. Sounded like there was an inherent issue with the system. Thanks for explaining a bit more.

I?d probably go with MCT and have Darren set it up for you. I?m happy with mine and how the springs are weighted. If you?re honest with him about your pace and ability he?ll sort the rest.

time you pay to sort your ddc you may as well put aftermarket on , then sell when your done,

?300 for MCT to tune the OEM vs ?1500+labour for a cartridge kit alone is not the same.

Springs

New front and rear springs are most likely all you actually need.

Thanks for all the replies re-spring in first instance it is, as you all say that?ll probably be it as I?m not leading the fast group!
Curious as to the Wilbers stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies re-spring in first instance it is, as you all say that?ll probably be it as I?m not leading the fast group!
Curious as to the Wilbers stuff though.

Indeed, I don?t know what is in their ?kit?.
DDC is built to a price for sure, so it can be upgraded, but would we know in a blind test?

Wilbers DDC Suspension

Wilbers DDC suspension was being used in the German IDM Superbike Championship a few seasons ago but no one really uses it anymore. The top race teams like alpha Racing-Van Zon-BMW are all now using conventional race suspension from the likes of ?hlins. Outside of Germany you very rarely see Wilbers DDC suspension products especially on superbikes, even though it was supposed to be pretty good, and it's not particularly popular. They have also been overtaken significantly in terms of development by systems from ?hlins, Sachs and now Showa.

Changing spring rates and air gap normally resolves any issues that people are having with DDC suspension so investing in Wilbers products isn't really worth it. Those that go racing with BMW machinery usually just ditch the DDC system completely in favour of ?hlins, K-Tech or Bitubo suspension anyway. Wilbers is no longer really considered a competitive option.

Now that?s proper info! Thanks very much.

?300 for MCT to tune the OEM vs ?1500+labour for a cartridge kit alone is not the same.
cost me ?410 new front springs and set up, that was in november.

Was your shock changed? As to be fair mine stayed in place and just got set up.

Thinking about it, it make have been ~300 + vat - I forget.

Last edited:
MCT Suspension

I paid MCT around ?220 to have my front fork springs changed and valving modified. That was back in 2015 soon after taking delivery of the bike. The fork springs were supplied by alpha Racing which is why the overall cost for me was lower.

What springs are you going to get fitted? I?m 16.5 stone without kit and found my HP4 failrly soft. I ended up fitting 2015 s1000rr springs and rear shock as they are more suited to a heavier rider! (can?t remeber exact spring rates)

DDC Spring Rates

For the 2015+ models the DDC front spring rates are 11 Nm (Right Fork Leg) / 9.5 Nm (Left Fork Leg) and the rear spring is 9.5 Nm.

Back