What's the Best tyre choice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlcouk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to replace my OEM Bridgestone S20 evo's which have been great for fast road and occasional track use.

Has anyone used the new Bridgestone S21's, and if so how did you find them interns of grip/wet use and longevity?

The final question being (from experience) which tyre do we think works best all round on the Sthou:

* Pirelli Super Corse
* Metzler Racetech RR
* Bridgestone R10
* Bridgestone S21

Carl

Only the S21 of your list are any in the wet.
You're looking at the worng tyre segment if you want all round performance.

Having just spent a day on an R1 at the track, fitted with Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3's, I can confirm they can do it all - wet road to track.
Same goes for the Metz M7RR's, Conti SA3's, Dunlop Sportsmart 2's etc.

BMW spend a lot of time, effort and money developing a bike, it's suspension and rubber to suit.
For road conditions i would stick with what they have advised after millions in research and development.
Stuck with the new pirelli that comes standard.

I'm no racer so spend all my time on roads, wet (sometimes) & dry. I went for Metzeler Roadtec 01's and haven't put a foot wrong so far. I only went with this brand/type having read a few reviews on tyres - these came out on top by a country mile.

Thanks Paul,

Sound advice, and along the same line as my thought.

Given that the 2016sK1 RR came with two tyre choices (B'stone S20 evo or the Pirelli SC) I was interested to gauge the difference between the two.

Carl

S1000RR's come with a variety of tyres from the Factory.
Pirelli, Bridgestone S20's and Metzler Racetech's.
Just had my new bike with Bridgestone S20's from factory.
I have had the S21's as well, which I prefer as they offer the same performance to the S20 and last a good deal longer.
So S21 would be my choice, based on the limited experience I have had

BMW spend a lot of time, effort and money developing a bike, it's suspension and rubber to suit.
For road conditions i would stick with what they have advised after millions in research and development.

Mine came with s20's from factory

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd set of S21s (old age memory :tongue-new:). Used them for road riding, touring and trackdays. Brilliant tyre.

Looking to replace my OEM Bridgestone S20 evo's which have been great for fast road and occasional track use.

^^ Sounds like the New Pilot Power RS tyre by Michelin might be pretty close to what you need.

I thought the S1000RR only came with Supercorsa 200's like mine did? I sold them on here and have been happy smashing away 4,400 miles of winter riding on Pilot Road 4's. Managed some defying speeds in the wet that I wouldn't do on more slick tyres.

I think tyre choice depends on a couple of factors

How hard you are pushing
Weather conditions & temperature of riding

Other factors vary from what you expect above, mileage, cost etc.

No fun riding Supercorsa's in the wet / cold but on the other end of the spectrum not much use in taking touring wet tyres such as my PR4's onto a hot day at Oulton Park.

Rosso III's or Power RS's next especially as they've just been launched with more development ontop of successful tyres like Metzeler M7RR's.

Thanks everyone for your responses, really helpful advice and certainly a lot to take in and consider.

I think having loved the way the S20's have behaved and the feedback from here plus the online reviews. I'm moving more towards the S21s as they seem to tick all the boxes.

That said, I'll probably look at getting set of Pirelli SC's or Metz Racetechs on a 'spare set' of lightweight wheels when funds allow for the track.

I've had two sets for the S21's and think they are really good road tyres, I was thinking of trying out the Dunlop sportsmart max, just to see the difference if any. I had a set of K3RR's but they just ware out to quickly on the road,1K is all I got from the back tyre[emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both my s1k's came with Metzler Racetec K3's - I'm due a new rear tyre in April and I think I'm going to go for the new Racetec k3 rr 190/55 as its dual compound and lasting a bit longer than the older generation K3's....

Anybody ridden these whats the mileage/grip like etc?

Im on Michelin Power supersports. Dont discount good old Michelin... nice looking tyre so far so good
25e15c7662b37d0161a42d3f5c42206f.jpg

Sent from Galaxy S7

Ive just installed 120/70/ZR 17s on the front and gone from a 190 to a 200 55 ZR17 on the rear.

Sportec M7rr tyres,great grip,exact same tyre as Pirelli Diablo Coras,as Pirelli own Metzler.

Ive just changed brands today. I had dunlopsports 2s last year and found them great. The only issue i had was the front wore quicker than the rear???? Im putting it down to the bitubos being a tad harsh for the roads. Went to get another set today but they only had a 180 rear so i negotiated a price on the metz m7rrs. Never used them before but by all accounts a great tyre.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just my 2 pennies...only tried 3 different tyres so far on the s1. The originally fitted k3's are really really good, the newer interact rr version is better however imo. The m7rr are nowhere near those 2 on the track, but better on the road most of the time. For road only, m7's are ideal. They last ages and can take the wet well. For track, get the k3 interact version. They don't last long but stick really well!
But, it's not just longevity and mixed weather that you need to consider. The profile seems important, and both k3 types steer quicker, give you more lean, and confidence.
I need another set of wheels so I can cover both road and track, I don't want to compromise in either situation and it's the only way forward I can see at the moment.

Back