what fuel do you use?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chorsley link=topic=1508.msg14491#msg14491 date=1349720560 said:
Well I have to agree that my car gets better mpg on super but it is a turbo Octavia VRS 2011 model it does about 32mpg with normal and 38mpg on super
sounds Abit more realistic,being a turbo I'd see an advantage but only small,at least your mpg figures are more convincing 6 extra miles but 40? No chance!

I am with BON on this one. I really dont believe these quotes figures that people put up here. I tried 98RON fuel in both my previous cars for periods of 2 months to compare to the 95RON fuel.
The cars were an Audi S3 and a TT. Both engines were the 2.0T. Neither car benefitted in mpg or performance.

Also in the owners manual it says 95RON fuel.

Godzilla link=topic=1508.msg14494#msg14494 date=1349721863 said:
I am with BON on this one. I really dont believe these quotes figures that people put up here. I tried 98RON fuel in both my previous cars for periods of 2 months to compare to the 95RON fuel.
The cars were an Audi S3 and a TT. Both engines were the 2.0T. Neither car benefitted in mpg or performance.

Also in the owners manual it says 95RON fuel.
At last! Now this makes sense. Even the extra 6mpg is pushing it,when I think about it.

After a life time of rebuilding mx bikes ill only ever use super unleaded in my performance bikes. The reason, not power output, unless its set up to run on that fuel (compression and mapping etc), but I have found far less carbon build up on the super unleaded, Optimax was a favourite before they changed it for vpower

Just checked the S1000RR Manual for recommended fuel, it states: Super unleaded, 95 ROZ/RON & 89 AKI

I've also heard that Super keeps the engine clean, amongst it's other high folluting benefits, & it might all be in me 'ed, but I'm sticking to Super.

Out of interest does the S1000 have a knock sensor?

Again, NRMA's Jack Haley thinks this needs qualification. Once again, he says, it's a question of balancing out the magnitude of benefits against cost.

"All petrols now have detergent in them," he says.

"And they need it much less than they used to anyway. Now they have no lead, they've got rid of the chief culprit in leaving damaging deposits. Any build-ups you find in engines nowadays are soft carbons, which engines find easier to get rid of in any event."[\quote]

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1508.msg14464#msg14464 date=1349713478 said:
so you're saying you get 40miles more by using super?

Yes, consistently, since I've owned my car (5 years). 99% urban driving. It's all stop-start, I suspect having better fuel plays a big part in that. It varies slightly from one month to the next, by 10 miles or so depending on whether it gets to go on any 50mph stretches etc. Don't feel any performance benefit though. Maybe a bit smoother I guess but it's hard to tell at such low speeds.

Does it not have something to do with a knock? Value and when the fuel ignites.

I had a focus rs in 2002 and misfired like sh1t when 95 was put in but super smooth on 98.

Cheers

Charlie

FRS463 link=topic=1508.msg14604#msg14604 date=1349817947 said:
Does it not have something to do with a knock? Value and when the fuel ignites.

I had a focus rs in 2002 and misfired like sh1t when 95 was put in but super smooth on 98.

Cheers

Charlie

I believe that 98RON is less volatile and harder to ignite, therefore less likely to pre-ignite. (which is basically knock)
This is why vehicles with higher compression benefit more as the higher compression makes it more likely to get pre-ignition. I stand to be corrected on this.

Back