What brought you to BMW?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a ride on my mates HP4 at Aragon and was dumbstruck by the power. Had to have one after that. The wife told me off as she knew what would happen :)

From a very young age i was always in to bikes as my dad took me everywhere on his. To name a few i can remember they were GSX 1400, Yamaha thundercat, fazer plus many more. And when the sthou came out i remember seeing it MCN magazine and thinking i need one of those in my life. Did my bike test in 2008, i had an Aprillia RX50 a few scooters then my first 125 was a suzuki GS. I maxed that thing out (80mph) everywhere i went i just needed to go faster all the time. Sold that and bought a 1998 honda cbr-f, compared to the suzuki GS it was a missile, sold that and got a 1999 R6 again a big step up. Then the Mrs got pregnant and bikes were a thing of the past so i had to buy fast 4 doors to keep me entertained but all this time i kept my eye on the SThou it was still my dream bike. Split up with the mrs and moved back home, bought a GSXR-750 IOM TT LTD edition but it wasnt enough i still pined for the Beamer....Anyway i didnt even test drive one or see one in the flesh i just seen one advertised and set off to get it, got to the dealer started it took it up the road (5mins) and chucked it in the back of the van and set off home. Love it more and more everytime i go out on it, will upgrade to the newer model next year as this one doesnt have enough toys. :)

Sweet garage of bikes you have lucky sod! What is actually the difference between a 2014 s1000rr and an hp4.? They have a better exhaust system so a gnats more power but is it the electric suspenders that make the difference? Seems odd as the first thing race bikes do is junk the electrics and fit quality aftermarket suspension. I find I like the abs in the wet on the road but on track it's slick mode, abs and tc off. Maybe I'm just caveman but I like the feel of the rear wheel waggling about, it tells me my talent will run out soon:scooter:

From a very young age i was always in to bikes as my dad took me everywhere on his. To name a few i can remember they were GSX 1400, Yamaha thundercat, fazer plus many more. And when the sthou came out i remember seeing it MCN magazine and thinking i need one of those in my life. Did my bike test in 2008, i had an Aprillia RX50 a few scooters then my first 125 was a suzuki GS. I maxed that thing out (80mph) everywhere i went i just needed to go faster all the time. Sold that and bought a 1998 honda cbr-f, compared to the suzuki GS it was a missile, sold that and got a 1999 R6 again a big step up. Then the Mrs got pregnant and bikes were a thing of the past so i had to buy fast 4 doors to keep me entertained but all this time i kept my eye on the SThou it was still my dream bike. Split up with the mrs and moved back home, bought a GSXR-750 IOM TT LTD edition but it wasnt enough i still pined for the Beamer....Anyway i didnt even test drive one or see one in the flesh i just seen one advertised and set off to get it, got to the dealer started it took it up the road (5mins) and chucked it in the back of the van and set off home. Love it more and more everytime i go out on it, will upgrade to the newer model next year as this one doesnt have enough toys. :)

Wow. Sounds like a potted history of the last ten years. I like the BM too, but I kinda grew into it, BM got their shit together to get this bike so right first time round. I still think it's an animal ride with the abs and tc off. Spent last year like that in the dry, but I like power wheelies and hooligan stuff. Thing is when it gets wet you are just a couple of button clicks away from a comfy, safe old hector, that's what fascinates me about this bike, not so much Jekyll & Hyde more like twin brothers, one that likes a proper drink and fight with the lads and the sensible one that you can rely on not to let you down. And that suits me at the moment

Wow. Sounds like a potted history of the last ten years. I like the BM too, but I kinda grew into it, BM got their shit together to get this bike so right first time round. I still think it's an animal ride with the abs and tc off. Spent last year like that in the dry, but I like power wheelies and hooligan stuff. Thing is when it gets wet you are just a couple of button clicks away from a comfy, safe old hector, that's what fascinates me about this bike, not so much Jekyll & Hyde more like twin brothers, one that likes a proper drink and fight with the lads and the sensible one that you can rely on not to let you down. And that suits me at the moment
Yep that's what i'm looking for a bit of security in the not so great riding conditions. Wet mode does tame the bike A LOT but doesn't give you the reassurance that the electronics of the higher spec models do.

What brought you to BMW?

Nothing. Nothing brought me to BMW because I am not 'at' BMW. My car and bike both happen to be BMWs, but that was because they both best fitted my criteria, not through any brand loyalty. That said, I do refer to my bike as a BMW when explaining to peasants others why their inferior bikes are inferior.

The real question is what lead me to choose an S1000RR, rather than any other bike. It is the only bike that comes anywhere near to ticking most of the boxes it ticks, and being the best sportsbike in the world by a country mile at the time I chose it helped to justify spending that much money.

Cruise control, relatively comfortable riding position, electronic rider aids (ABS, TC, etc.), creature comforts (cruise control and heated grips - why would anyone not specify those on a new S1000RR, or buy an inferior bike without the option to specify them?), oodles of power and handling. And cruise control.

Had a 20th anniversary blade from new and went down to the NEC in November 14 for a lads day out. Saw the motorsports on the stand and loved it. Ordered one over the phone in January and got it delivered in mid May. Sat in the garage for over a week before I rode it. Great bike though not as easy to ride quick as the blade was. First ride out this year was last Sunday, 250 miles ( JimmyMac was there , running at the back on his pink HP4 ) superb to be back on it. It's booked in next Saturday to get ABS Pro fitted and hopefully if they've the part in the gear lever recall done. Looking forward to taking it to the TT.

Im reading a lot of people taking about cruise control being a god send. Heated grips yes but cruise control?

You don't need cruise control if you never ride any distance on the motorway or ride through average speed camera zones

Nothing. Nothing brought me to BMW because I am not 'at' BMW. My car and bike both happen to be BMWs, but that was because they both best fitted my criteria, not through any brand loyalty. That said, I do refer to my bike as a BMW when explaining to peasants others why their inferior bikes are inferior.

The real question is what lead me to choose an S1000RR, rather than any other bike. It is the only bike that comes anywhere near to ticking most of the boxes it ticks, and being the best sportsbike in the world by a country mile at the time I chose it helped to justify spending that much money.

Cruise control, relatively comfortable riding position, electronic rider aids (ABS, TC, etc.), creature comforts (cruise control and heated grips - why would anyone not specify those on a new S1000RR, or buy an inferior bike without the option to specify them?), oodles of power and handling. And cruise control.

Ha! You're funny! When asking that question on a site titled s1000rr I was more asking why did you pick this bike as your next bike after the one you sold. Very precise Germanic answer though so glad your criteria was met. I just thought it was a mad as fcuk bike with a wonky face, great engine but road based suspenders. First thing I did was turn all the abs and tc off then see how far I could wheelie the basrtd. I guess it attracts all kinds of owners ...l:unconscious:

I fancied a sensible naked bike to go along side the sp1. Took S1000r demonstrator out, loved it. Went home, sold my gsxr 750, then drank some beer and thought "why the f@#* do I want a sensible naked bike. Phoned the dealer and put deposit on the RR.

I've never even sat on one! Hope it the right choice

3 years ago I rode 1000 miles home from Italy in a day on a '98 ZX9R. Most of this was cruising at constant(ish) speeds on open roads, with agonizing cramp in my right hand.
I hardly ever use cruise control, but even just knowing it's there is priceless.

3 years ago I rode 1000 miles home from Italy in a day on a '98 ZX9R. Most of this was cruising at constant(ish) speeds on open roads, with agonizing cramp in my right hand.
I hardly ever use cruise control, but even just knowing it's there is priceless.

You need a GS Andy.
I rode mine back from the San Siro after a Champions League game and got to Harlow in one stint, I think 760 miles. It was like sitting on a soft settee listening to Kylie, I've never had cruise control on any of my bikes, just cars. I'm still a little confused as to why BMW put it on the S1000rr, but they obviously know their market.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
I just thought it was a mad as fcuk bike with a wonky face, great engine but road based suspenders. First thing I did was turn all the abs and tc off then see how far I could wheelie the basrtd. I guess it attracts all kinds of owners ...l:unconscious:

Hey Pete, you related to Jordan on here, I think you are brothers. Lol

JimmyMac

I picked it because it was yellow....lol , in all seriousness my last bike was a 2005 Gsxr 750 in yellow that I loved , my Bro was looking for a bike at the time and I was browsing bike trader for him, seen the s1000rr in yellow and thought I have to have it ,had my bike sold in a week and picked the s1000 a week after that ! was a total chance thing lol , haven't regretted my decision once.

Possibly!!! :black_eyed: Thing is it's like rock music versus reggae, Bono will never be Sean Paul and people will always like different things. I like track days and madness, some like to do long road trips. On a cutting edge sports bike I think that's crazy, and some will never understand putting a bike on the track...we are both right I guess. But if I wantd to do a long road trip I'd take my car, or a GS. Using an S1000RR for that is like eating a fillet steak with a spoon! I do draw the limit at cruise control on a sports bike. I had that once 30 years ago when racing on a RD 350 into paddock hill...no wait, that was when the throttle cable frayed and stuck the open. No more cruise control fr me!

I 'toured' to North Wales on my 350LC with some mates when I was a teenager wearing a leather jacket off the market, frank thomas buckle boots and carrying my 'gear' in shit throwover panniers, that was an education... wish I'd had the gumption to take it racing instead..!

agree guys.... it's different strokes for different folks, I use my s1000rr for daily commuting, Sunday back road blasts with the boys , longer rides out (done 450 miles in day last year was crippled by the end of it tho...) and I do as many trackday as I can squeeze in every year.......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back