What brought you to BMW?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
Ok, although new to here, I've had loads of bikes over the years including a 16 year continual stint on R1's🙃😜 just wondering why you all bought one.
I'll start it off, my last bike was an ex TT Superstick '08 R1. It truly was magnificent. It also won bike of the month in performance bikes! However it was incredibly focussed. No lights, daylight mot track suspension, fluffy power anything below 5000 rpm...so I sold it and found a one owner from new Sthou. Must admit I didn't like it before a tinker, but now it has decent suspenders front and rear plus a good few other mods, it's good. To end power is great:loyal:

how about you?http://

Like you i come from an r1 background. Toyed with the idea of getting a new one or r1m but just dont like the engine noise or charactoristics. I love the inline 4 screamers so it was the sk1r or zx10. Ended up with a 2014 for 9750 and snapped it up. Like you a few things had to change , bitubo suspension and pipe plus re map. Still have the r1 for track days but this is a different class

i bought one as i loved the riding position of my K5 thou,s and bmw copied the riding position and measurement off it so thought i would give it a go. ive had 3 now 2010,2011 and now my 15. still got the 11 track bike too.

My first big bike was a GPz900R when I was 21 and I've also had loads of bikes over the years since then including 2 R1's. I went through a v twin phase before my first S1000 with an RSVR and then an RC8. Most of my riding is on the road with the odd track day thrown in, for me the RR offers it all, incredible performance that matches anything on road or track delivered in a way that thrills and soothes your way at the same time, it has excellent manners and comfort at low speed in traffic - no wrist cramp, dodgy fuelling or fickle gearbox to contend with and it has the ability to happily tour all day 2 up , what other bike does that?

Last edited:
interesting about riding position. I hated the BM at first std pegs were too far forward. Got some Hp vcr ones recently and that s much better on furthest back position. Must admit BM has grown on me. Does feel very planted and the rear ttx and revalved front works a treat now. Much too soft as std

Last edited:
I had the Blade before the BMW and I was well happy with it (apart from maybe the C-ABS) and thought this is it, I'll be keeping it for a long while yet. Then I went to the bike show and seen the BMW and was blown away by the looks then the spec sheet after enquiring about it. The rest is history.

http:// Ha! Your hrc blade looks disturbingly like my BM!����

Last edited:
Saw the same bike at the same show !

Had GSXR-1000's since 2009. Saw a black 2015 S1000-RR at bike show. Hired one for a long weekend and found it very easy to ride, think the accelerating, floating wheelie out of an uphill right hander did it for me :chuncky: - As much as I've loved Suzukis, by earl 2016 I just couldn't wait any longer.

Sold my GSXR 750 and the 1000 and earlier this year picked it up (a used) bike) from BMW. Took it to Brands Hatch within a fortnight.

Find it amazing that I can just bung a set of footrests on the same bike, change the 'mode' and the Mrs can be out on the back with me. Very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6327.jpg
    IMG_6327.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Always been a r1 owner for years and years but couldn't stand the look of the latest one so I bought a brand new zx10r, rode it for just over 2000 miles and the gear box started hitting false neutrals and the cat started melting/ blocking up causing a major lack of power. Took it to bridge motorcycles in Exeter to be told no faults at all with bike. Was a bloody joke the Cowboys!!!! Had enough of their cr*p customer service and lost faith in the bike. Saw a picture of the 2015 s1000rr online, read the spec list and phoned my nearest dealer and bought it over the phone. 3 days later picked the bike up and now I can't wait to get back on it everytime I get off!

After working on BMW's professionally for 6 years, and spending most of my life before that around BM's I thought it was about time I got one for myself! It is without a doubt the most impressive machine I have ever ridden and every time I ride it, it never fails to put a smile on my face!

I had always wanted a full on litre sports bike but for one reason or another never got one. I really fancied a GSXR K5 when they first came out and I was going to buy one this year but I have heard so much about the BM I thought if I am going to get that type of bike I will go for the most game changing bike since the original Fireblade and R1, so hence I put my cash on a 2011 S1000rr sport. I can remember reading years ago about the GSXR 1000 and it being the most purest motorcycling adrenaline hit available and everyone should experience it.....the S1000rr is something that has to be experienced to be believed :chuncky:

Still think stock the s1000rr from 2010-11 were very soft font and rear and riding position just plain odd
new r1 is a tool. I've tried one, but can't justify that cash. I'll get a minced one in a few years no doubt

I must agree with the riding position I find it's not the most comfortable thing in the world after 2 hours I can hardly walk, but that could be me getting old lol. Not qualified enough to comment on the suspension

One of the sweetest handling bikes I had was an 06 R1. It had a pretty std engine so only about 155 rwbhp but had more midrange than anything out there with its 20 valve head. You could lean it til you were actually holding your knees in to stop melting sliders. Last R1 was a different level but you had to keep revs up and power, although more, was from about 8000 up. BMW seems a good compromise of both.
http://
http://

Last edited:
Purely and simply reeled by the dealer!!
Took my GSA for a service in 2012 and they asked me to take a S1000rr out for an hour. I had never ridden a sportsbike before that far less owned one, came back dumbstruck and they gave me it for the weekend, ordered my S1000rr Motorsport on the Monday! Took it across Europe a few months later and saw the HP4 Carbon on display at Hokenheim, drooling again I ordered one and picked it up May 2013. Managed to keep it without thinking of another bike to replace it. Replaced my GSA twice in the same time frame, for identical models.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Had a GSXR 1000K5 for the last 10 years and decided it was time to get a more up to date machine, the BMW ticks all the boxes for me, great bike on the track and also on the road, plus it is easy and quick to convert between the two, only takes about 2 hours to remove the mirrors and indicators, footpegs and number plate.

I like the Yamaha R1M for the track, but no good as a road bike in my view.

Had a couple of test rides when they first came out, couldn't quite bring myself to part with the cash, as my R1 was fine, tried the second gen - didn't seem much different. Then got a Gixxer thou k6 for a couple of years, stolen, replaced with K8, brilliant bike for ?4k, that got lifted from the dealers, so looking on evil bay at the weekend after a few beers; nice acid green one with pipe PC and loads of bits caught my BIN finger! Gixxer was recovered and sold on. Now looking forward to my 3rd summer with the BM, very happy, the mental top end makes up for the missing low down grunt of the GSXR, had it mapped 198 RWHP, luverly!

What brought me to BMW? I bought a BMW K1300R when they came out in 2009. Loved everything about it and only sold it last year after 40k miles and many fantastic memories. I think I will buy another one next year as a project (for Stephen as I'm rubbish with spanners) if BMW don't come up with a new model to replace it. I used to track mine a fair bit, which was funny lining up in the pit lane at the start of the day, the looks from other riders of 'wtf are you doing here?', and it surprised/annoyed quite a few riders when I would subsequently go flying past them on it. Bonkers.

I added the HP4 to the stable much like JimmyMac. Was in the dealer in early 2013 and saw a carbon one waiting to be collected by a customer. Love at first sight, never had a sports bike before. As I had blinged my KR to the max I did a bit of man maths and quickly realised I could get the carbon version and not have anything else to buy for it, yeah right :). By July mine had arrived and I am yet to be disappointed with it. I keep thinking of turning it into a track only bike at some point but a quick blast out over the dales and moors soon gets my head straight again. It's sublime at everything I ask of it.

Latest posts

Back