Went time travelling today...........in Paisley

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyMac

Reaction score
As most on here will know, Davy DL84 originates from Paisley that well known Buckfast town to the west of Glasgow.
I have never been there for years but today I had to go there at short notice and it crossed my mind that I might bump into the big fella. As I approached it from the east I saw a bike flying along the M8 and I thought it might be the Laird of Paisley himself, however seeing the following group of Scotlands finest traffic officers in their shiny 4x4s flashing their Christmas lights and travelling at warp speed behind it, I was glad it wasn't Davy. I was still laughing about what I saw when I got in the town centre and approached a railway bridge that straddles the main road, I remember going under it as a child and it had the advertisement for Talbot cars on it.

Lo and behold when I got to it, it STILL has the slogan visible "Talbot Sunbeam, home of the Avenger" painted across the length of the bridge.

I had to stop and ask a local what year it was because I suspected the traffic cars must have been doing 88 MPH and somehow transported me back to 1985 like some crazy stunt involving Marty McFly in a DeLorean.

Does any one else have any old signs still visible, it really made me smile that, mostly cause I had a romantic interlude in a Sunbeam, lol.

You got any photos of it Davy?

The bridge no my interlude.

Jimmymac

Bridges like this, Jimmy?
IMG_0007-L.jpg

- Sent from Mobile

lol brilliant jimmy!! the toons no changed much still full a bams lol, ano the bridge and the sign no pics tho , ma old man used to work in the Talbot factorie in linwood before they shut it down.

lol brilliant jimmy!! the toons no changed much still full a bams lol, ano the bridge and the sign no pics tho , ma old man used to work in the Talbot factorie in linwood before they shut it down.

I was laughing going past Ferguslie Park, the Strathclyde Polis that were at Tulliallen with me used to lament about it. Thought about nipping into the Pheonix too, to see if Brian Potter was on the door. lol.

JimmyMac

Haha I know the bridge..when I was 16 I applied for an apprenticeship in the Linwood factory.. I even got as far as an interview in which they gave us (from memory) a piece of wood some wire and two nails...and told us to make something with it..a circuit or whatever... feck knows what that was meant to prove... think it was on its last legs then...the exercise summed up the cars they sold.

Sent from Galaxy S7

Last edited:
I was born in Paisley, and have always hated the place.....never actually lived there though, it's just that when I was young my uncle was a dentist there, and I was scared of visits to see him...

I also have vague memories of scary ladies that I met regularly at a nightclub there in the early 90s...would that be the Cotton Club Davy? I might have confused that name with a club in Glasgow....whatever its name, one of my mates once pulled in there and disappeared off to her place. Next morning he had to walk to the bus stop to get a bus to the station, to get a train into Glasgow and then walk throught the city centre to the subway to get back to the west end. He was aware that everyone kept staring at him but couldn't work out why until he got home and saw himself in a mirror. His face was covered in blood. At first he thought he must have been in a fight....but he soon realised it must have been her time of the month.........

that's rank colin , lol , yeah the cotton clubs right mate before my time tho

I was born in Paisley, and have always hated the place.....never actually lived there though, it's just that when I was young my uncle was a dentist there, and I was scared of visits to see him...

I also have vague memories of scary ladies that I met regularly at a nightclub there in the early 90s...would that be the Cotton Club Davy? I might have confused that name with a club in Glasgow....whatever its name, one of my mates once pulled in there and disappeared off to her place. Next morning he had to walk to the bus stop to get a bus to the station, to get a train into Glasgow and then walk throught the city centre to the subway to get back to the west end. He was aware that everyone kept staring at him but couldn't work out why until he got home and saw himself in a mirror. His face was covered in blood. At first he thought he must have been in a fight....but he soon realised it must have been her time of the month.........

I remember a similar incident with a mate of mine, he was shown on a Kodak instamatic I think it was lol

Like I keep saying "you've got some quaint old customs up there in Scotland" :highly_amused:

One of my pals still gets called "Black bean sauce" for this very reason. Nearly 30 years come to think of it.

JimmyMac

Back