Warranty up soon...what to check?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My LHS switch gear failed this week... My bike is already going in for some work soon, so it will be easy to get this added on to the list of to-dos....made me think that, as the bike is nearly 2yo, this may be the last time it sees the dealer before the warranty runs out (assuming I don't cave in an pay for an extension)...so...

...thought it might be worth compiling a summary of things that need checked, from what I've read on the forum over the last year. Can you let me know if I've missed anything..

1. Side stand (recalled and replaced already)
2. Switch gear
3. Sump (anyone got a picture of a faulty one?)
4. Conrod (n/a to my model)
5. Flaky paintwork (mine is OK for this, although v disappointed in the R&G tail tidy which looks poor)

Anyhting else?

Rick

most dealers seem to be pretty good at delaing with the well know common faults (switchgear) even if the bikes out of warranty.
whats the side stand one? not heard anything about that?

cheers
dave

2012s came with dodgy bolt that could mean the side stand fell off. Mine (which was working fine) was replaced as soon as I got the recall letter....and the replacement fell off after 3 months!!

Last edited:
Check as much as u can mine is just out of warranty and I have had 3 goodwill gestures one on abs I paid half off, that they never fitted right, then sump and looks like it maybe leaking again after 3 months!!!!!! And third the dash cluster that never fixed fault and they refused to fix again as ad had my 3rd goodwill gesture ! Wtf it's still not fixed, so now fighting with BMW uk over the misdiagnosis and attitude of dealer
........ Moral of the story ........get everything checked and double checked u bought a quality brand U expect quality......

good luck buddy

most dealers seem to be pretty good at delaing with the well know common faults (switchgear) even if the bikes out of warranty.

thats very true, also you have consumer law on your side if the bike develops an 'oem' fault that should reasonably be expected not to occur. (E.g. Engine failure). Key is to keep the bike correctly serviced by bmw so they cannot argue any major failures are due to incorrect maintenance. It's not the cheap way to live, but they do look after you generally and the bike holds better resale value with FBMWSH.

Siezed (siezing) pistons on front caliper. (on 3rd set in 10k miles)
Clutch Spring (3 times mine now. All 3 times I didn't even know it needed doing, didn't feel any different to me)
Rear brake disc wearing below recommended 4.5ml (mine needed changing at under 4000miles)

They might not be common faults but things that my 2011 has experienced. BMW only covered the labour with pistons the first time not the parts, 2nd time I used somewhere else. Other two things they did under warranty.

Theres certainly more, but it's 7am and my brain hasn't warmed up passed 1000rpm yet, only had 1 cuppa and 2 fags. I'll come back when I get to 5 of each.

Siezed (siezing) pistons on front caliper. (on 3rd set in 10k miles)
Clutch Spring (3 times mine now. All 3 times I didn't even know it needed doing, didn't feel any different to me)
Rear brake disc wearing below recommended 4.5ml (mine needed changing at under 4000miles)

They might not be common faults but things that my 2011 has experienced. BMW only covered the labour with pistons the first time not the parts, 2nd time I used somewhere else. Other two things they did under warranty.

Theres certainly more, but it's 7am and my brain hasn't warmed up passed 1000rpm yet, only had 1 cuppa and 2 fags. I'll come back when I get to 5 of each.

:glee:

Last edited:
Had my QS replaced
And back light for peely chrome also
everything else is covered by previous posts i think

It's 10:32pm, and this is honest to god first time i've sat down since my post this morning.

Hate the wife's days off, her job list for me never get smaller.

A couple more for your list....

Make sure the rear sprocket carrier doesn't have any rotational or lateral movement, got mine replaced FOC last year together with the rear wheel. Also check the rear shock adjustments all work as they should, a rare one this but my shock died after a track day last year, also replaced FOC.

The dealer is going to love your list! Lol!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back