Warranty claims after fitting full system?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeman

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Im thinking of fitting a full (Akra maybe?) exhaust system to my 2013 S1000RR.
The only thing holding me back is the worry that if the engine blows up, BMW will turn around and say they wont cover it as the bike has been modified.
Anyone else had any experience of this? whats BMW's view on warranty repairs on modified bikes?

Also, whats the best system to go for? not too fussed about Ti, just want something that sounds better than stock, not too big can, preferably black/carbon to go with the rest of the bike, and most of all gets rid of the huge shiny metal dustbin that hangs under the bike at the moment...

Get a Austin racing de cat system , no need for a full system as the bike makes more mid range power keeping the standard headers

Hi Guys, Im thinking of fitting a full (Akra maybe?) exhaust system to my 2013 S1000RR.
The only thing holding me back is the worry that if the engine blows up, BMW will turn around and say they wont cover it as the bike has been modified.
Anyone else had any experience of this? whats BMW's view on warranty repairs on modified bikes?

Also, whats the best system to go for? not too fussed about Ti, just want something that sounds better than stock, not too big can, preferably black/carbon to go with the rest of the bike, and most of all gets rid of the huge shiny metal dustbin that hangs under the bike at the moment...

i *think* the full akra system is available through bmw with a bmw part number, in which case you would be fine with warranty. Not saying you should go through a dealer, but probably worth the call to see how much for them to supply and fit, then all bases covered.

I head the full system was avialble from BMW, but couldnt find it on the Motorrad site...
got any links?

I think the official BMW road legal Akra system has a small cat and costs ?2k+.

Just to add when I asked a couple of insurers about fitting a can or system they wouldn't entertain it unless it was road legal, so there's a possibility you may only be insured 3rd party or have a related warranty claim denied with a "not for road use" system.

I head the full system was avialble from BMW, but couldnt find it on the Motorrad site...
got any links?

I can't find it listed either, but some pretty pictures, toss website.

a call to a dealer would be best option.

Just to add when I asked a couple of insurers about fitting a can or system they wouldn't entertain it unless it was road legal, so there's a possibility you may only be insured 3rd party or have a related warranty claim denied with a "not for road use" system.
Bet there are loads of bikes out there in this situation and not aware.

Bet there are loads of bikes out there in this situation and not aware.

No doubt, I've had full systems or cans on bikes for years but I don't take the chance now. Plus I don't fancy lobbing a grand or two on a Akra system. Pity just a can is too quiet

I had a thread on here about 6 months ago about the official BMW akrapovic system.

About ?2.5k fitted, full titanium and comes with an ecu update.

Nice item, steep price. Had the same comments from insurers myself too, only e-marked cans can be covered.

No doubt, I've had full systems or cans on bikes for years but I don't take the chance now. Plus I don't fancy lobbing a grand or two on a Akra system. Pity just a can is too quiet

So i popped a question to my insurance company regarding limitation on what exhausts i could fit to my bike...
Check out the response:

InsuranceExhaust.PNG

i *think* the full akra system is available through bmw with a bmw part number, in which case you would be fine with warranty. Not saying you should go through a dealer, but probably worth the call to see how much for them to supply and fit, then all bases covered.

Here in the states, we have to sign a waiver to even order the exhaust you are referring to. I ordered my exhaust through a aftermarket supplier, so no waiver there. I did have to sign a waiver to purchase the BMW HP Race ECU. That waiver signed away my warranty.

Full system on the FS section on the forum....

Back