Warped front discs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Semi 'Floating' discs are built to avoid warping. So the dealer and therefore BMW should be able to explain why they've warped when specifically and at extra expense they are designed to avoid it.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
And I think that's exactly what happened, the discs were 'spotted' with blue colouration from overheating. So who's fault is that?

Semi 'Floating' discs are built to avoid warping. So the dealer and therefore BMW should be able to explain why they've warped when specifically and at extra expense they are designed to avoid it.

- Sent from Mobile
Exactly, explain away or fit me some new ones! I think it's a quality control issue to do with the materials. Penny pinching. All this on only OEM pads.

Its the dealer not the bike.
1 swallow doesn't make a summer as they say

- Sent from Mobile

Unusual for discs to be out, my gen 1 and now gen 3 was mainly track and were/are on original discs.
Have to say, Coopers are not at the top of my list

Its the dealer not the bike.
1 swallow doesn't make a summer as they say

- Sent from Mobile
True, but the shame of it is that I was thinking of trading up to the 2017 model as it made financial sense (no extended warranty to pay for) and for the abs pro feature which would be excellent for the road. But.... if this is the product/service I get, then back to Japan!

Unusual for discs to be out, my gen 1 and now gen 3 was mainly track and were/are on original discs.

Have to say, Coopers are not at the top of my list
Not suprised from this, but I'll give them a chance to resolve it. There's no reason at all for this, can only be quality control imo.

I'm sorry to hear of your warped discs Zxcv12.

Although my experience isn't necessarily transferable, as I have HP forged wheels, I warped the front discs during the second track day with my 15 RR.
The discs were checked by my dealer, the fault confirmed and replaced entirely under warranty (I told them it happened during a track day).

As far as I am aware, whether you warp discs (or any fault for that matter) on a track day or the road shouldn't matter as neither are "competitive or race use". That being said, it does seem that manufacturers try to use track days as a way of not honouring the warranty ...

I hope your dealer, or another dealer local to you honour the warranty and your discs are replaced very soon.
Best of luck!

P.S. If you're considering HP wheels next time, I'd highly recommend them as they represent fantastic value when purchased with a new bike

I'm sorry to hear of your warped discs Zxcv12.

Although my experience isn't necessarily transferable, as I have HP forged wheels, I warped the front discs during the second track day with my 15 RR.
The discs were checked by my dealer, the fault confirmed and replaced entirely under warranty (I told them it happened during a track day).

As far as I am aware, whether you warp discs (or any fault for that matter) on a track day or the road shouldn't matter as neither are "competitive or race use". That being said, it does seem that manufacturers try to use track days as a way of not honouring the warranty ...

I hope your dealer, or another dealer local to you honour the warranty and your discs are replaced very soon.
Best of luck!

P.S. If you're considering HP wheels next time, I'd highly recommend them as they represent fantastic value when purchased with a new bike
Thanks Oli, that's excellent feedback! We'll see what happens. But, the BMW Motorrad Uk team run trackdays according to their website, hire or bring yout own it says! Of course, there's no mention of a warranty problem that I can see...

Thanks Oli, that's excellent feedback! We'll see what happens. But, the BMW Motorrad Uk team run trackdays according to their website, hire or bring yout own it says! Of course, there's no mention of a warranty problem that I can see...

My pleasure!
That's a great point you make about BMW track days ...

Look forward to hearing some, hopefully, good news soon :).

The case has been put forward to BMW uk apparently, so we'll see. I'll let you know the outcome for sure.

I got my warped front disks changed under warranty, no problem. The same dealer has a picture of me on track in Jerez on his wall :)
Thanks OW, good to hear, I'm running out of excuses for them about why this hasn't already been fixed and returned with a full valet now....
Unless anyone can tell me they've been turned down for new disks? It would be interesting to hear of any warranty issues that have arisen from the odd track day (that's NOT racing or competetive use)

Since the dealer knows you had the bike on the track, they can deny replacement under warranty. I know bmw does the same exact thing when it comes to their passenger vehicles. Lots of customers take in their vehicle and have complaints about calipers discoloring, heat spots on rotors, etc. and get denied warranty work because of "racing" or "tracking" a vehicle. Is it right for bmw to do that? I personally don't. Customers paid to have wear and tear items replaced under warranty when they bought the vehicle. But i guess that's why bmw revised their no cost maintenance plan to not include brakes from 2017 and newer.

Yes, i know bmw vehicles and motorcycles are different. But when it comes to warranty claims, it is pretty much the same. But good luck to you! Hopefully they replace it under warranty

Since the dealer knows you had the bike on the track, they can deny replacement under warranty. I know bmw does the same exact thing when it comes to their passenger vehicles. Lots of customers take in their vehicle and have complaints about calipers discoloring, heat spots on rotors, etc. and get denied warranty work because of "racing" or "tracking" a vehicle. Is it right for bmw to do that? I personally don't. Customers paid to have wear and tear items replaced under warranty when they bought the vehicle. But i guess that's why bmw revised their no cost maintenance plan to not include brakes from 2017 and newer.

Yes, i know bmw vehicles and motorcycles are different. But when it comes to warranty claims, it is pretty much the same. But good luck to you! Hopefully they replace it under warranty
Thanks for the info, who knows what they think! However, this isn't 'wear and tear', the actual discs have no discernible lip at the outer edge and are nowhere near their service limit. I'm happy to pay for things I've worn out through use, and have done over the last 10K miles, quite often! The S1 is a hungry beast that's for sure.
But, it seems fair and reasonable that any product should be fit for purpose. The only exclusion to the warranty that I'm aware of (could well be wrong though) is that the warranty would not cover race or competitive use, neither of which I've ever taken part in, on any form of transport. Trackdays are not races and are not competitive, in fact all of the briefings I've ever been to always reiterate this fact quite clearly.
If any use on track, at all, means that the warranty is void, then it's surely up to the manufacturer to point that out! I don't remember anyone telling me I couldn't use it for a trackday, despite me making it clear when I bought it that I was looking forward to one, AND that BMW organise their own trackdays with your own bike or theirs. I've never even installed the magic chip under the seat!
So a grey area then, are trackdays covered or not? How many riders are happily gliding round tracks blissfully unaware that this could be an issue? Would they continue anyway? Would they have bought in the first place?
I think this should be about what's reasonable and fair, not what can be got away with. Of course, I know that real life aint like that...so we shall see.

A good thing to point out might be that they DO supply the slick key as standard. In the manual it makes it VERY clear that slick mode should only be used on track and not road. Thus they are supplying a bike to be used on track (albeit not for race or time trial use).

Latest posts

Back