User mode set up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisH

Reaction score
I've just got the coding plug installed and starting to set up the user mode however I'm a bit confused about the DTC.

I've gone for a fairly conservative setup for electronic support so far ABS - Sport, DDC - Sport (all damping set to -2) DTC - Rain. Engine is set to Slick because I want to explore its capability. However on the dash I get DTC 0, does this over ride the DTC rain setting ? If I dial in +7 here do I get maximum traction control as I thought the Rain setting was giving? I'm not sure the manual is very clear here.

Thanks

Chris

Dtc is in rain therefore 0 is the standard default setting in rain.Heres my question - is 7 the most sensitive setting or is it -7? I.e which is the safest setting or the most intrusive?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Primarily, think of the DTC setting ?Rain, Sport, Race and Slick? as referring to how much wheelie control you have.
DTC in Rain offers the maximum wheelie control i.e it won?t allow for power wheelies, and Slick provides no wheelie control (you can power wheelie for 5 seconds).

The DTC level ranges from -7 (minimum intervention) to +7 (maximum assistance/safest)
In User Mode you can adjust the DTC level on the fly using the left hand switch gear

Last edited:
Thanks, so when the DTC is in rain I can dial in even more traction control by setting it to +7 ? Does -7 in Rain give me any traction control at all ?

Thanks Chris

Thanks, so when the DTC is in rain I can dial in even more traction control by setting it to +7 ? Does -7 in Rain give me any traction control at all ?

Thanks Chris

Absolutely, the default in all of the DTC modes is ?0?, you can add more assistance/safety net by increasing the DTC level, with +7 being the maximum.
Alternatively, you can reduce the assistance/safety net by decreasing the level, -7 is the lowest, however the DTC is still very much enabled

Thanks Oli that's really helpful to know.

Regards

Chris

My pleasure Chris :)

Personally, as you have the Engine in ?Slick?, which essentially means the closest to a 1-1 throttle connection, I would suggest trying out the DTC in Race mode and then DTC in Slick when you feel comfortable with everything (just remember, no wheelie control!).
Reason being, is that the more wheelie control you have, the more hold-back you will experience. For example, the bike is upright, you open the throttle and it doesn?t accelerate as you expect. This isn?t the result of the DTC level necessarily, but more likely the DTC mode. Slick for example feels ?unleashed? in this respect, and is still perfectly useable in the wet with an appropriate DTC level.

Have fun exploring all the modes and settings, it?s well worth it when you find ?your? idea setting :)

My pleasure Chris :)

Personally, as you have the Engine in ?Slick?, which essentially means the closest to a 1-1 throttle connection, I would suggest trying out the DTC in Race mode and then DTC in Slick when you feel comfortable with everything (just remember, no wheelie control!).
Reason being, is that the more wheelie control you have, the more hold-back you will experience. For example, the bike is upright, you open the throttle and it doesn?t accelerate as you expect. This isn?t the result of the DTC level necessarily, but more likely the DTC mode. Slick for example feels ?unleashed? in this respect, and is still perfectly useable in the wet with an appropriate DTC level.

Have fun exploring all the modes and settings, it?s well worth it when you find ?your? idea setting :)
Thanks for that oli - what you say makes sense and worth trying.i have the engine in slick for better throttle feel and power but tend to put other settings in sport and with max traction in 7 for safety but did not think that there would be a "conflict" going on between power and wheelie control.compared to my 2014 model the traction control light does not flash anything like it as much on my 2017 model.

Ok, so what I think you are saying is the DTC is implemented differently in each of the modes and then the amount they are applied can be controlled by the -7 to +7 dial in

I was thinking that that DTC in rain with say a +7 might be equal to a sport DTC with say a -7 etc but I'm thinking it's not as simple as that as each modes has its own different characteristics!

Chris

Thanks for that oli - what you say makes sense and worth trying.i have the engine in slick for better throttle feel and power but tend to put other settings in sport and with max traction in 7 for safety but did not think that there would be a "conflict" going on between power and wheelie control.compared to my 2014 model the traction control light does not flash anything like it as much on my 2017 model.

My pleasure, enjoy trying out DTC Race and Slick, the former is still very safe but the latter is quite a jump and certainly puts a grin on your face when you open the throttle without the hold-back lol.

My 15 Gen 3 RR is the first S1K I?ve owned, but the electronics are certainly an area of refinement and improvement over previous Gen RR?s.

In the dry, I would encourage you to explore the DTC levels a bit, it?s all very progressive and you might find a lower level more enjoyable.
Remember the default is 0, so +7 is certainly very safe indeed in the dry.
It gets noticeably ?loose? from -4 and lower, in both DTC Race and Slick Modes.

Personally, I enjoy the DTC in Slick -4 in the dry, +4 in the wet, +7 in the cold and wet.

Have fun buddy :)

Ok, so what I think you are saying is the DTC is implemented differently in each of the modes and then the amount they are applied can be controlled by the -7 to +7 dial in

I was thinking that that DTC in rain with say a +7 might be equal to a sport DTC with say a -7 etc but I'm thinking it's not as simple as that as each modes has its own different characteristics!

Chris

Not quite I?m afraid, it?s certainly confusing the way BMW have labelled these settings, would have made so much more sense to just have a dedicated wheelie control feature.

As I said in the first post, the best practical way to think of the DTC ?modes? is in terms of wheelie control. So, DTC sport -7 will be loose, in much the same way as Race -7. Where they differ is that Sport allows for a very slight power wheelie (few inches), whereas Race allows for 1-2 feet (generally).
Slick, allows wheelies, even when leant over, for up to 5 seconds duration.

The DTC level simply affects how much traction control you have, so if you find that the bike is sliding too much when accelerating out of a corner, or the road conditions are bad, you would turn it up to a desired/suitable level.

That?s the practical explanation, technically the traction control performance is subtly different between the DTC modes. Our bikes have a feature called ?Torque Reduction? (If memory serves), but essentially what this means is that in DTC Rain, Sport and Race modes as you reach a certain amount of lean angle, the bike will limit your throttle body opening to proactively prevent wheel-spin. This feels like slight hold-back when you?re leant over and opening the throttle, and it occurs at the least amount of lean angle in DTC Rain, and the greatest lean angle in DTC Race.
DTC Slick, is the exception, because this feature is disabled, so regardless of lean you only get traction control intervention when the wheel spins. This in conjunction with no wheelie control provides a significantly different riding experience than the previous modes.
These subtle differences are also why, on track, you get less tyre tearing in Slick mode.

Despite all this, as I said at the start it?s much easier to simply think of the DTC mode as ?wheelie control?, and the DTC level as your universal amount of tractional control.

Hope this helps :)

When I first got my my 2015 I started out in slick on +7. It is way way to intrusive and you can feel the bike holding back massively. I'm on slick in -3 now and have been for the past 2 years. I should have kept going down with it but it feels alright on -3 so stuck with that.

That's on a race bike with hp software which I think alters the dynamics of the standard settings.

Point being though, stick it on max and work your way down till you think this is alright imo

Back