Tyre wear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 I wonder what it is about Dunlop tyres that allow them to say their tyres don't have heat cycles and other tyres do.
I think I read it slighlty different to you guys,

How many Heat Cycles can I get out of a tire?

Heat Cycles is not an issue with Dunlop racing tires as it would be with other brands.

They say 'Heat Cycles is not an issue' they dont say that Dunlop's dont have heat cycles (thats how I read it).

Last edited:
from Dunlop site...I was surprised when I read it too. Worth a look dunlopracing.com/technical-info

How many Heat Cycles can I get out of a tire?

Heat Cycles is not an issue with Dunlop racing tires as it would be with other brands. The more important factor is how much tread is left on the tire. Stable fact: thicker rubber has more grip and develops more heat, thinner rubber has less grip and runs cooler. After each session you have less grip. As the tire wears out, you have less and less grip. It could be slight or it could be large.

Some riders call it heat cycling, but, in actuality, its the rubber getting thinner and thinner. It truly depends on how much the tire is worn out, and your specific demands for grip that determines when the tire is not usable for you.
Think the last bit is important, 'yr specific demands etc' what is acceptable to me wouldn't be acceptable to a quicker rider. @Godzilla, bet it was good lol done level2 but having done a day now with an ex instructor £ for £ it is much more cost effective, more enjoyable and I left with much more knowledge of my specific needs.

Some riders will not use tyres after they have been on the warmers...even if they have not been used on track

Personal need is what it's all about....separate that from the "hero" stories & scaremongering and make up your own mind

I have dug into this a fair bit recently and the conclusion I have come to is this

I use my tyres (slicks) until the wear marks are depleted or until the tyre is losing grip so much that it is hampering "my" performance as I feel that is all that matters.
Theory is that if your tyres are at the end of their life and you are sliding it gives you feel for the bike under these conditions and makes you a better rider, also you get to use the tyres longer and hence save cash. I'm not racing, just having fun.

Everybody's limit is different but the above principal should work for all (racing will be a different matter as you are buying insurance)

Don't just change your tyres because someone says.......ooo they have had 3 heat cycles better change them or......someone else says....ooo better change them as the rubber is low and I would never use them.
Use your own judgement because one thing is for sure your ability, needs and style will be different from everyone else.

Regards
Davy

I've just finished off a pair of Dunlop Slicks,wear indicators non-existent,but I set comparable laptimes throughout albeit with more movement in the rear in the latter stages BUT only on throttle application(which was easily taken care of by the DTC Slick mode).Lean angle grip did not decrease at all.

However,it is necessary to keep an eye on temperatures as the tyres wear because the tyres will cool quicker as they wear-easily remedied with a temp gauge off ebay for a tenner or so!.If the temperature drops,just go quicker,be more aggressive with the throttle and brakes(both in a straight line)and check tyre pressures and temperature as soon as you leave track.On a s1000rr all rear tyres(yes,all)ideally should be hot(60c plus) coming off track

Dunlop ntec's are brilliant tyres but are track temperature sensitive so make sure your tyre supplier gives you the correct ones.

Back