Tyre wear

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I was at Donington I asked the trackday running tyre guy (focused) to spin my rear tyre round. He said he's not legally allowed to do that, I laughed.

the problem with spinning as far as im concerned is that it was spun due to lack of grip on the most used side.so now its been spun you have less grip on the side that doesn't get as much use/heat. I myself cannot trust that for the sake of penny pinching. Unless you spin it half way through its life and I doubt anyone dose that.

the problem with spinning as far as im concerned is that it was spun due to lack of grip on the most used side.so now its been spun you have less grip on the side that doesn't get as much use/heat. I myself cannot trust that for the sake of penny pinching. Unless you spin it half way through its life and I doubt anyone dose that.
Its not because of lack of grip its because there's very little rubber left lol Iits had 3 heat cycles so not overly cooked. If it had even tread both sides I wouldn't hesitate to use it again?

Its not because of lack of grip its because there's very little rubber left lol Iits had 3 heat cycles so not overly cooked. If it had even tread both sides I wouldn't hesitate to use it again?

surly lack of rubber equals less grip though. I change my tyres when the grip has gone and im usually no where near the bottom of the tread markers.

surly lack of rubber equals less grip though. I change my tyres when the grip has gone and im usually no where near the bottom of the tread markers.

It's all in the mind!
I changed a set on a trackday once,2 minutes later a (hard-up) racer asked if he could have them!
Now I wear them right down to get my monies worth.

The problem I notice when the tyres are getting close to the markers is more of a problem keeping heat in them, particularly on the road in cooler weather. I am sure thinner rubber will cool down much faster giving less grip. On a right handed track I would have thought the left side would lose its heat fast and maybe cause problems on the few left turns.

The problem I notice when the tyres are getting close to the markers is more of a problem keeping heat in them, particularly on the road in cooler weather. I am sure thinner rubber will cool down much faster giving less grip. On a right handed track I would have thought the left side would lose its heat fast and maybe cause problems on the few left turns.

+1 this is how I see it too. Less rubber=less heat=less grip.i buy very good used scrub Dunlop ntec slicks that have never done more than 20 laps and then use them for 2 track days.After a couple of track days the wear indicators are still there but I can slide the rear at will.I wouldn't then spin them as I wouldn't trust them on the left handers.With the dunlops theres no issues with heat cycles either as they don't have them, so the lack of grip isn't due to that.

+1 this is how I see it too. Less rubber=less heat=less grip.i buy very good used scrub Dunlop ntec slicks that have never done more than 20 laps and then use them for 2 track days.After a couple of track days the wear indicators are still there but I can slide the rear at will.I wouldn't then spin them as I wouldn't trust them on the left handers.With the dunlops theres no issues with heat cycles either as they don't have them, so the lack of grip isn't due to that.

What do you mean the Dunlops don't have heat cycles? :confused:

@ bananaman - you should have a go on the CSS slide bike :) . Top fun, but I don't have the necessary to try it on my bike lol.

What do you mean the Dunlops don't have heat cycles? :confused:

from Dunlop site...I was surprised when I read it too. Worth a look dunlopracing.com/technical-info

How many Heat Cycles can I get out of a tire?

Heat Cycles is not an issue with Dunlop racing tires as it would be with other brands. The more important factor is how much tread is left on the tire. Stable fact: thicker rubber has more grip and develops more heat, thinner rubber has less grip and runs cooler. After each session you have less grip. As the tire wears out, you have less and less grip. It could be slight or it could be large.

Some riders call it heat cycling, but, in actuality, its the rubber getting thinner and thinner. It truly depends on how much the tire is worn out, and your specific demands for grip that determines when the tire is not usable for you.

Last edited:
Back