Tyre Dillema... What woud you do?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom501

Reaction score
Hi folks

I've recently returned from a trip around Scotland Fri to Fri. On the third day of the trip I got a puncture and had to have my bike recovered to Inverness (Harry Fairbairn Motorrad) 80 miles away. This happened on a Sunday so had to stay the night but they arranged for a replacement tyre the next day.
Originaly I had Metzler Sportec rr which I loved and was gaining more and more confindence as the holiday went on.

I now have a Mitchelin Road Pilot 4 on the rear and a Metzler Sportec on the front.

Both my uncle and cousin have these (Michelin Tyres on there bikes and swear by them) but they were riding Triumph Tiger Explorer, BMW R1200GS.

I find the Metzeler is much more confidence inspiring.

Dom

I'm not gonna be using my S1000rr much now during the winter. I think what I may do is just change them both ready for the summer.

I was just wondering if anyone would put a Michelin on the front?

And the fact that my uncle and cousin will think I'm mad taking off a perfectly good tyre?

I have the PR4 GT tyres on my GSA, on my 2nd set, and they are very good, better than the roadtecs and the anakees prior. I have never had issues with grip in all conditions across the diameter of the tread and have used them to the edges. TBH, road tyres these days are so good the vast majority of us would struggle to push them beyond their limits on public roads, it usually is personal preference and cost/longevity.

I do agree that mixing brands and treads back and front isn't the best idea so a change would make sense. If you are only road riding and want some mileage out of the rubber the PR4 are good. But you could change the rear for Metzeler again and sell the nearly new rear on?

Last edited:
I have a mate who runs Michelin Road Pilot 4 on his ZX10 and swears by them, although wouldn't be my choice.
If not riding much until next summer then personally I would go back to what gives you confidence.
Change the rear to match the front would be my choice

Yeah I had no other choice but to mismatch tyres as they had no Metzelers in stock. I also needed to get back on the road to meet up with my mates. So this was seen as a quick fix to get me out of a difficult situation.

Cant add much to the above..I found myself in same position 3 years ago in Muir of Ord... try find that on the map lol...I couldnt beleive it when the bike shop told me they had a pair of 2CTs in stock....my rear was down to the fabric an inch wide round the whole circumference. When they took the rear off it was as thin as a fag paper... testament to Michelins construction. Ill never forget how they broke the beads... one guy holding the shoulders of the other guy as he jumped on a spade lol..pure backwater stuff... BRC motorcycles. Had a good laugh too..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i do know a guy who runs a pirelli sc front and a dunlop rear mind

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

As almost all on here , I wouldn't mix manufacturers. I'm actually surprised a Motorrad dealer didn't advise you to change both front & rear.

Back