Tyre choices

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welsh-boyo

Reaction score
Hi all , i would appreciate your thoughts on tyre alternatives for the 2016 s1000rr , I want to move away from the metzeler racetec rr k3's that come fitted to the bike, they are an amazing tyre in warm weather but are very soft and have squared off really quickly. I ride fast road and motorway but won't be doing any trackdays , so I'm looking for a tyre that is good wet and dry , can cope with acceleration and has some longevity to it.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd go with the S21's too.

Can't praise them enough. I Have just replaced my S20's with a set and they are brilliant.

Ive done two track days on them as well so far, and they performed really well, no issues at all.

They do exactly as advertised and are a very predictable tyre giving good feel and feedback in either wet or dry as well as excellent levels of grip from upright to full lean.

I was managing regular 57- 59 degree lean angles, at speed during the last couple of track outings at Oulton (dry) on these tyres with no issues at all.

Multiple heat cycles, no tyre warmers required (as with the S20's) and re-inflate to road pressure for the ride home after! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunlop SportSmart 2 Max on mine. 2.5K in now and no obvious signs of wear, no squaring off, and excellent traction and handling both wet and dry. Also considerably cheaper locally than Metz for me, which would have been my other choice. Profile is nicely rounded, which suits me better than the pointier K3. I love them - they're good enough for comfortable 50+deg lean angles on the road.

m7rr's im on my 3rd set. great in the dry and very good in the wet. mine last about 2500 miles but some get 4000 out of a set. there very neutral and predictable imo.

Yeah ok, no regrets on buying so far. I got to the edge of the front at Cadwell! I think that was down to too little pressure. Soft carcass needs pressure...

- Sent from Mobile

Bridgestone for me.
On my Gen 2 I put S21 front and S20 rear which worked really well. Currently have S20's on my Gen 3 which came as standard, will change to S21/S20 combination when they wear out.

Don't be swayed by the latest rubber, often they are just sales gimmicks to get us on to the latest tyres when the there's nothing wrong with the outgoing one's.

I've already got just under 4000 miles out my rear M7RR, and there's more to come before I have to replace it (just had bike MOTd by BMW dealer and they didn't even mention the tread). This includes 3 trackdays, so I'm very happy with the Metzler. I might have to learn how to adjust my chain - never had to do that yet, tyre always got replaced before it needed that....

Thanks for all the replies peeps, I went with s21s, got a nice surprise too , the tyre dealer told me if I fill in a voucher online I get ?50 off the tyres and a free motul bike cleaning kit. Winner.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We never get any of that treatment here in Australia...
Let us know how they go for you personally as am interested for future reference.
Cheers

Nice incentive, the Michelin one is ?30 cash back...make that was. Ended yesterday.

- Sent from Mobile

Don't be swayed by the latest rubber, often they are just sales gimmicks to get us on to the latest tyres when the there's nothing wrong with the outgoing one's.[/QUOTE]

I could't agree more...the current crop of rubber is the best its ever been imo...

Doubt we will ever have a leap like X Ply to Radial again... granted tbe changes in each successive "NEW this years model" should be better than the last..but how much better ?... look at Michelin, they sell stacks of Pilot Power 2CTS.. christ knows how may I went through since 2004/5 on 3 different machines. All mates run them. If they done a 200 section id have them on my HP4, flawless in every way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Actually I bet the compound on that new ...there we go again.. Michelin Power Supersport EVO I bought yesterday is the same as the 2CT... how are we to know. I think these fuckers stick a different tread pattern in the mould and there you have it.. THE ALL NEW BLA BLA FROM BLA BLA...

Give us ya money !
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back