TST Lights

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I fitted the TST integrated lights and tail tidy to my Gen 4 today. It was all easy enough, but I made the mistake of looking in the box after I'd finished... where I found the two washers that I should have put onto each unit's screw before I screwed down the nylock bolt... d'oh.

How much of a biggie is this? I have shrink wrapped the electrical connectors etc, and bike is all back together, so It'd be a major PITA to undo all that. Anything else I can do, e.g. take panels off, loosen the bolt and try and get a split washer under it?

Cheers

Been there done that, what's a split washer look like ?..

Not sure where the bolts/washers go either, I'm conjuring things up in my head

Guess you could take a punt on it.. if it feels secure enough and won't pull through I'd leave it, but that would annoy me personally maybe to the extent of... ....

I bet the wiring is nice and neat too.

Anyhow these life saving split washers ?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Waahers will just spread the clamping force. If you're using nyloc it should be pretty secure.

Can always get new nylocs from a hardware store if you want to 0ut the waahers in.

Waahers will just spread the clamping force. If you're using nyloc it should be pretty secure.
Yup, I'm only worried that the internals of the bike might get damaged over time, I'm not worried about a nylock coming loose.

Stu, the light unit has a screw on the back. When you insert the lights into the recess in the tail unit, that screw pokes up into the bike where there was a fairing fastener, as per pic below. After that you attach the wires to mini bullet connectors that allow you to connect to the bikes electrical system. You have to shrink protective sleeves over the 3 wires then tidy it all up with tie-wraps... never mind that my bike has a USB socket in the tail which had to be removed and replaced to access LHS - very fiddly.

I'm trying not to let it annoy me, but also trying to avoid the desire to take it all apart and do it properly. The idea of the split washer was to see if I could spread the clamping pressure by getting something round the screw without taking it apart, hence the idea of some kind of wash that had a cut through it, so I could get it round the screw... Example of one in screwfix link below, but that wouldn't be the right size, and I'm not even sure a metal one of a reasonable dimension would be malleable enough...

Just a frustrating weekend - I also tried to assemble a Skylift, but it came with a dodgy part that needs replaced...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-...Y-Z0JQOsgLvqNVm0LXQaAooJEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• TST.JPG
    TST.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 65
Ah right, that type of washer, that would be a bit fiddly too and trying to get it opened up and slot it in would be a bit of a pain n all, theres not much too them and they wouldnt spread the load very much... rock and a hard place here..

I'm thinking the washers supplied will be wider than the spring washer, if so might be a bit pointless going to all that hassle.

I think it would be fine leaving it, but I would disassemble it if it's bothering you that much, it's always frustrating undoing a tidy bit of work..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Yup, I did say the ones in the link weren't right, too thin...

The other thing is, if I did redo everything, is that I'd need to remove the sleeves I shrank over the mini bullet connectors, which I'd want to do without breaking the bullets, or cutting the wires... is that going to be possible, feels like a very delicate, fiddly job if it is? (i.e. has the sleeve bonded fast to the wires underneath... isn't that what it is supposed to do to keep water out?)

Last edited:
Fairly easy to remove shrink wrap. Just use a scalpel and cut in a straight line along the wire where the metal connectors are , then you can peel off. No adhesive involved in most shrink wrap.

No it won't have bonded, I use shrink sleeves a lot and you can cut them open using a fresh Stanley Blade (not in the handle).. you'll get better feel that way.. they only reduce to the size of the cable they surround anyhow, if you've crimped bullets on I'd slice the sleeves open and do the job..you'll feel better for it lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back