Trackday Insurance Recommendations?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavey

Reaction score
Hi folks....my crappy bike insurance policy (Bennetts) doesn't include cover for trackdays :( ...hoping to take my 2015 on track soon but looks like i'll have to seek out some extra insurance....any recommendations?

All my previous insurers have included trackday cover on my policy, so i'm less than impressed to discover Bennetts don't include! :frown-new:

just got a quote from Moris.co.uk for 1 x No Limits track day @ Oulton Park = ?295!!! :disturbed: ....WTF?? Is this normal?? No chance i'm paying that!!

Any thoughts on a better way? I would have thought it to be in the insurer's interest for policyholders to ride their bikes on track? We're surely more likely to save any potential situations on the road if we fully understand the capabilities of our bikes on track no??

I don't know what your track experience is.

IMO - Don't crash?

The bike is way better than most of us will ever be with amazing brakes and TC, so you'd have to be doing something daft to bin it.

Insurers insure based on risk. If you are tracking your bike the risk profile changes due to the nature of the activity, regardless of opinions on it making you a better rider (I agree with you on that).

I don't think many people bother to be honest, buy a set of race fairings or a cheap road set for trackdays! if you crash build it back up bigger and better!!

Trackday Insurance

Most trackday riders do not bother with trackday insurance. Some insurance companies do offer trackday cover as part of their road bike policies however most would do well to read the small print. Often the policy excess is increased significantly. For example MCE Insurance increase their policy excess to 50% of the value of the motorcycle, or a ?1,000 minimum when the bike is used on track. The majority of crashes that I see on trackdays are generally due to rider error and in most cases could be easily avoided. Simply put, just ride within your limits and use the free instruction available; particularly if you are a novice. That way you are unlikely to ever need the insurance in the first place.

thanks for your thoughts guys. I consider myself a good road rider but I've only done one trackday..... a friend of mine was wiped out that day on his brand new Ducati 899 by another rider....he was a totally innocent party riding safely around the track, next thing he's off the bike and the bike was pretty much a write off. Neither rider was insured. He's lost his bike and still paying off the finance.

I'm just not sure i could have a fun/relaxing day on track with my brand new bike knowing that i could be getting a taxi home ?15k down?!! Unlikely i know, but i haven't even paid for it yet and at least if i crash it on the road i'll get the bulk of my investment back via the insurance. I'm also presuming you'd be up shit creek with regard to any injury claim? I'm self employed and would struggle if i got injured without insurance :-/

I guess i could maybe consider bike hire although could get expensive and i'd really like to explore the limits of my own bike in a safe environment. Hmmmmm:eek:ffended:

Buy a cheap track bike- at a couple of thousand if you throw it down the track you would not be bothered, you would also ride it harder as you would not have in the back of your mind the what if i drop it/cost mentality.

Its getting to the end of the race/track season so usually some good bikes come up with the upgrades most people want.
I know and understand that its not your s1000rr but it still develops your skills and takes away the crashing element that clearly worries you.

Most of us have the same thoughts you do at some point or other about 'what if' when going on track with a nice bike. I take the view that I bought the bike to enjoy it, and the track is the best place for me to do that. I try to take a measured approach with an acceptable level of risk so I can relax and enjoy myself.

I do the bins BMW road bike only trackdays each year now, there are two or three a year. It's a nice way to get on track without worrying about some tw@t on something worthless being thrown at your pride and joy, as everyone pretty much needs to ride home after. Plus because everything has to be mot / roadworthy the standard of bikes is generally high, and also no tyre warmers/slicks keeps the Rossis away. I went to the inaugural NL road bike only day at Donnington recently and it was very good too. I think these are gaining in popularity.

I also do normal trackdays that I ride to, which puts me in a minority.

To offset the risk enough for me, I invested in crash protection and some disposable road fairings, ride in the fast groups (usually higher general standard of riders) and not really had any problems, not wishing to tempt fate.

The reality is that we will always have the possibility of crashing, but if that is your mindset then simply don't go. I have never seen a collision on track that led to a crash, your mate was very unfortunate IMO. The offs I have seen have usually been rider error, and occasionally vehicle malfunction. I have been to a couple of the bins BMW trackdays where there have been no red flags all day whatsoever.

One thing I can guarantee is that if you are not relaxed on your bike, it won't be a good experience and you won't have fun.

Trackday

Road bike only days are an extremely refreshing type of trackday and are always very enjoyable whatever your ability. I do an awful lot of trackdays each season and I personally would like to see more 'Road Bike Only' days offered by MSV and No Limits in the future as they are generally alot more relaxed. The previous post is very informative and full of good information.

Totally agreed with the above, unfortunately your typical track day has changed a lot since I did my first one 15 years ago. Having said that, its not a reason to avoid them, yes there's a risk you may crash, yes others will be faster than you but go with the attitude that you are going to relax, have fun and not try and show everyone that you really ought to be riding in BSB and all will be well

All good information in previous posts. Would like to add that in my experience, track days are safer than the road and racing is safer than track days. Road there are too many variables outside yr control, track days 80% less variables outside yr control and racing, 18 of the remaining 20% of variables outside yr control disappear :)

Latest posts

Back