Throttle response poor after overrun??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philianson

Reaction score
Hi peeps. I've just upgraded my trackday R6 for a gen 1 Beemer. Wow!!! It has full Arrow stubby. No power commander. Standard engine. The problem I'm having is when I let off the throttle for a few seconds then pull the clutch in to change down gear and try to blip the throttle it just bogs. Sat on te stand in the garage it's crisp as anything! If I pul te clutch in and very gently open the throttle it seems to clear it. But it won't blip. Just coughs unresponsively. Can any one help please? Thank you in advance!!

Hi peeps. I've just upgraded my trackday R6 for a gen 1 Beemer. Wow!!! It has full Arrow stubby. No power commander. Standard engine. The problem I'm having is when I let off the throttle for a few seconds then pull the clutch in to change down gear and try to blip the throttle it just bogs. Sat on te stand in the garage it's crisp as anything! If I pul te clutch in and very gently open the throttle it seems to clear it. But it won't blip. Just coughs unresponsively. Can any one help please? Thank you in advance!!

Mine was like that from new. Yr find it works ok at higher revs 9-10 upwards ?

Only just bought it and haven't ridden it in anger yet so not sure. Surely it should still fuel well at all revs? It's not good on the gearbox when it doesn't blip. Clunk!!!

Hi again. Yes just been for a blast and it does seem to be ok above 7 or 8k. Just poor below 5k. I can live with that. It will spend most of its time on track. Cheers!!

Maybe look at fitting a Bazzaz (Track Electronics in Norfolk did mine) and seeing if they can clear it up.

Mines the same even after a pc5 and custom map. Without a secondary fuel module its not possible to do the lower injectors so i lost the crispiness below 5k ish. Bazzazz does top and bottom injectors so should be able to even it out

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That's very interesting! I was gonna go pc5 to try and correct the issue. It pulls strong from any revs. It's just when you shut throttle then blip the throttle on down change. It isn't so noticeable above 7000rpm.

You?ll need a fuel system capable of driving 8 injectors, or an ecu flash. Pcv alone can only do 4.

- Sent from Mobile

I agree with Alex and pof re Bazzaz, as they say, the PCV only fuels the upper injectors without the Secondary Fuel Module, therefore you won?t be able to efficiently tune the lower third of the rev range.
Bazzaz however connects to all 8 injectors.
I agree with the recommendation on getting a custom mapped fuel module, as at the very least this will ensure that your bike is fuelling optimally with your full system exhaust.

Re the blipping/bogging issues, the only things I can think of are; 1. If it only occurs when riding the bike, I am inclined to think it?s simply the quirk or a ride-by-wire throttle, 2. I would check your clutch free play and that you hear two audible clicks from the micro-switch, 3. That it has something to do with the HM quickshifter.
I am not overly convinced that it is bad fuelling that is causing this issue, as you mention that the bike responds well when you are blipping the throttle on the paddock stand.

Hope this issue gets resolved soon, and that you have a great experience on your first track day with the bike in the not too distant future I hope [emoji846]

Last edited:
Thanks Oli. Wise words and appreciated. I also am not convinced it's fuelling. I did wonder if it was the fly by wire throttle? It's as though after shutting off then leaving it to overrun the ignition forgets to repsond. If I just pull the clutch in after overrun and let it idle it blips fine. But just pulling the clutch in and blipping immediately and it bogs. But not at higher revs? It's got to be something to do with what's happening when I'm off the gas?? It sounds like its over fuelling then chokes to clear it. Can you explain the clutch free play and micro switch part please?

Throttle

Only the 2015+ models have an electronic throttle. Previous models still retain throttle cables so it's most likely poor fuelling that's causing the issue.

Dyno

Your best option is to simply get the bike on a Dyno and check the A-F Ratio. A competent Dyno operator will soon be able to diagnose what the problem actually is.

Re: Dyno

I'm booked for the dyno on Saturday. Hopefully it will show up the problem. Thanks.

Re: Throttle

Only the 2015+ models have an electronic throttle. Previous models still retain throttle cables so it's most likely poor fuelling that's causing the issue.

The 2015 Gen 3 onward bikes have a 100 % eGas ride-by-wire throttle.
The previous Gen RR?s are still ride-by-wire though, but they retained a cable operated twist grip. This is similar to Yamaha and Kawasaki, whereas KTM and Ducati have a similar system to the Gen 3 RR?s

Can you explain the clutch free play and micro switch part please?

Been thinking about this, and on reflection I suspect this isn?t really an issue for you, as it would apply more exclusively to the Gen 3 bikes using the OEM shifter.

I was just thinking of the intermittent blipping issue you?re describing, and it reminds me of the quick-shifter/throttle quirks that can occur when there is excess clutch free play, and/or clutch micro-switch issues.

I'm booked for the dyno on Saturday. Hopefully it will show up the problem. Thanks.

Good man, hopefully this blipping issue is simply due to poor fuelling and that a suitable re-map sorts it.
Failing that, I agree with Alex and contact HM Racing.

Look forward to hearing how you get on Saturday, keep us posted!

Thank Oli I appreciate your time and thoughts. I'm an engineer myself and this is bugging me!! The fact that it doesn't have the issue at higher revs tells me it's not the HM. I spoke to them and the shifter does nothing at all on downshifts. Also I can just pull the clutch and not touch the gear lever and try and blip after overrun and it still bogs. I think it has to be fuel/air on overrun. Possibly the full arrow system causing the problem. Not sure if there is an upgraded air filter fitted but I'll find out. Problem is if the dyno says it's rich/lean at that time I still won't know why?! Bazzaz is an option but an expensive one if it doesn't work and the bike pulls strong in all gears already. See what Saturday brings!!

If it's a first Gen, the throttle only wakes up in race and slick.

I don't like riding mine in rain and sport the throttle seems to sluggish.

Latest posts

Back